Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BUZZR 2023 Q1 happenings  (Read 39047 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: BUZZR 2023 Q1 happenings
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2023, 12:18:11 PM »
in the bonus round, one of the clues was, "His real name is Arthur Fonzarelli, Jr." - but if somebody would have answered "Arthur Fonzarelli," wouldn't they have accepted it? After all, they accepted "The Fonz" when the displayed answer was "Fonzie."
I think that's all broadly under "no" because "we don't think anybody would respond to a clue by repeating a clue back to us." :)
I don't think Don was asking in the context of repeating a clue back (since said clue points to a nickname), but rather whether the show would've deemed "Arthur Fonzarelli" a correct answer in response to any of the other revealed clues. After all, if the "his real name is" clue isn't given, the Spoilers don't know to think of a nickname.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

MikeK

• Martha!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2023, 04:53:50 PM »
You rock, M. Klauss!
czambo@mac.com

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2023, 05:45:12 PM »
in the bonus round, one of the clues was, "His real name is Arthur Fonzarelli, Jr." - but if somebody would have answered "Arthur Fonzarelli," wouldn't they have accepted it? After all, they accepted "The Fonz" when the displayed answer was "Fonzie."
I think that's all broadly under "no" because "we don't think anybody would respond to a clue by repeating a clue back to us." :)
I don't think Don was asking in the context of repeating a clue back (since said clue points to a nickname), but rather whether the show would've deemed "Arthur Fonzarelli" a correct answer in response to any of the other revealed clues. After all, if the "his real name is" clue isn't given, the Spoilers don't know to think of a nickname.

Oh, my bad! Yes, I think they should have accepted that answer if it was given before the clue in question was exposed.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2023, 07:45:30 PM »
I can see why Strike it Rich didn’t leave much of a mark. The game isn’t all that interesting, though moderately more difficult material would have helped that. The other issue is that the prizes seemed schizophrenic—thousands of chocolate candies, a Rolls Royce for a week and cookery classes are mixed with stuff that would be seen on any other game show like a VCR, spa and the like. I think Sale of the Century did that part better. Lastly going for $5,000 seemed like long odds for an amount of money that was less than the prize package.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:29:49 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

tvwxman

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2023, 08:36:40 AM »
I can see why Strike it Rich didn’t leave much of a mark. The game isn’t all that interesting, though moderately more difficult material would have helped that. The other issue is that the prizes seemed schizophrenic—thousands of chocolate candies, a Rolls Royce for a week and cookery classes are mixed with stuff that would be seen on any other game show like a VCR, spa and the like. I think Sale of the Centudy did that part better. Lastly going for $5,000 seemed like long odds for an amount of money that was less than the prize package.
Like so many other Brit shows, this was, I think, built for Michael Barrymore to be an entertainer. The game was almost an aside on the show, after 10 minutes of contestant interviews.

The US version ? Just the opposite. Yawn.

I love the UK version. I never liked the US version.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

gamed121683

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2023, 09:22:49 AM »
Well, since we're talking about To Tell The Truth '80 in this thread...Is it just me or does the theme song kind of sound like the Password Plus theme a bit?

Clay Zambo

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2023, 01:31:21 PM »
Well, since we're talking about To Tell The Truth '80 in this thread...Is it just me or does the theme song kind of sound like the Password Plus theme a bit?

It's just you.

No, seriously, the opening fanfare is quite similar rhythmically and structurally, but that's about it. (Well, the other similarity is that I think both themes are total bops.)

czambo@mac.com

SuperMatch93

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2023, 02:15:35 PM »
It always reminded me of the Hustle, honestly.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TimK2003

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2023, 02:43:22 PM »

It's just you.

No, seriously, the opening fanfare is quite similar rhythmically and structurally, but that's about it. (Well, the other similarity is that I think both themes are total bops.)

I think there were several Score Productions "phases" where a lot of their themes (especially from the 70s onward) had the same type of rhythms/instruments used. 

For example, the first Tattletales theme had several similarities to the Narz Concentration theme; Classic Concentration/Body Language; and even non G/T shows -- Moneymaze and Big Showdown.

Look at all the early-mid 70's Heatter-Quigley themes that were heavy on the electronic Moog sounds.

tyshaun1

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2023, 02:55:23 PM »

It's just you.

I think there were several Score Productions "phases" where a lot of their themes (especially from the 70s onward) had the same type of rhythms/instruments used. 

For example, the first Tattletales theme had several similarities to the Narz Concentration theme; Classic Concentration/Body Language; and even non G/T shows -- Moneymaze and Big Showdown.

Look at all the early-mid 70's Heatter-Quigley themes that were heavy on the electronic Moog sounds.
That's because Concentration & Tattletales were composed by Edd Kalehoff, Classic and Body Language were by Paul Epstein, and Moneymaze and Big Showdown were by Walt Levinsky.

BillCullen1

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2023, 09:36:48 AM »
I just saw an ad saying Lost and Found is returning in January.

That was enjoyable. I'm hoping next year they show Puzzlers and Spell Binders.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2023, 06:38:14 PM »
Weirdness today.  Yesterday BUZZR moves ahead with Perry CS (ep 519, OAD:  4/25/80).  After skipping 520, BUZZR airs 521, with a poll group plug edited out, a contestant plug left in, and a ticket plug at the end replaced by. . .a "get in touch with Game Show Network" bumper.

Think we also have fresh TT as well (February 1976 vintage).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2023, 12:53:27 AM »
a "get in touch with Game Show Network" bumper.

A significant number of Fremantle's copies of episodes come from GSN ca. the 1990s to early 2000s - and back in the day, those promos were dubbed over plugs that GSN didn't air on the master tape.