Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Wheel this week  (Read 1436 times)

BillCullen1

The Wheel this week
« on: December 20, 2022, 10:13:37 AM »
NBC started airing this on Monday, 12/19. It's airing all this week at 10 pm ET. Our version his six celeb experts, one less than the British version.

Jimmy Owen

Re: The Wheel this week
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2022, 01:54:08 PM »
Slow paced and confusing. Don't think it will last.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

wxfrcaster

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 02:55:49 PM »
"The Wall," "The Wheel," Fox's "Spin the Wheel" ... it's as bad as all the "Good ___" shows.

I watched last night, having never watched the UK version. I agree, it's just too slow. Dragging out an answer reveal for $5K like it's a $1M question on WWTBAM just irked me, but that's the NBC way (again, looking at you, The Wall, and Card Sharks). Contestants seemed fun at least, and I enjoyed some of the celebrity reactions. It'll play in the background while I wrap the last bit of Christmas presents.

tvmitch

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 03:37:30 PM »
I really enjoy the UK version of this show and look forward to when it is on. It's good family entertainment. It is more show than game...if you go into it expecting otherwise, then you may be disappointed. Michael McIntyre cracks me up. I'm glad NBC kept much of the format as-is, and Michael is immediately comfortable in our version.

Will be interested to see how the stunt airing performs for NBC; I don't like that it is on at 10pm for the first week.

For the record, the U.S. version is missing these elements from the UK version - which is fine, as it needed to be cut down from the 60-minute BBC format quite a bit to fit:

• No Moneyspinner question after the third correct answer
  • On the last spin, no bonus for celebrities who haven't been spun in yet in the show
  • Not really a spoiler, but this seemed to happen on the Monday episode - if a celebrity expert gets the question wrong in their expert subject, there is no penalty to the contestant on our version (on the UK version, that celebrity is shutdown for the next spin)
You should follow me on Twitter

Clay Zambo

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 10:03:41 PM »
I really enjoy the UK version of this show and look forward to when it is on.
  • No Moneyspinner question after the third correct answer
  • On the last spin, no bonus for celebrities who haven't been spun in yet in the show
  • Not really a spoiler, but this seemed to happen on the Monday episode - if a celebrity expert gets the question wrong in their expert subject, there is no penalty to the contestant on our version (on the UK version, that celebrity is shutdown for the next spin)

I'm with tvmitch. It's hardly a perfect game, but it's delightfully silly. I'm especially glad they kept Paul Farrer's ear-worm of a theme tune.

As for the slight amendments from the UK format: I figure most of them have to do with only having six celebs on the wheel. I don't *know* why they made that change, but it does make the wheel look a little more like a Trivial Pursuit game piece.
czambo@mac.com