Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Set pieces/props damaged during shows  (Read 10142 times)

JMFabiano

Re: Set pieces/props damaged during shows
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2023, 01:01:21 PM »
Did the panel on the Go podium stop working on camera?  I know it no longer changed color by the end of the run.

The entire Hollywood Squares board on MG/HS.

I think they had to write down clues once on Super Password because the puzzle board broke?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TimK2003

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2023, 02:08:20 PM »
Did the panel on the Go podium stop working on camera?  I know it no longer changed color by the end of the run.

I completely forgot about that one, but yes, that was a subtle break.
I think they had to write down clues once on Super Password because the puzzle board broke?

There was a brief time on a SP episode that the sfx cable broke and one of the stagehands or producers had to create the sfx themselves.   

A similar event also happened on at least one Barker episode with the Showcase Showdown wheel -- Barker had the audience do the "beeps".

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2023, 09:06:46 PM »
There were a few times on Davidson HSq where the neon Xs and Os stopped working.  It happened so frequently they had cards printed for the celebs to hold up in their squares.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2023, 03:21:56 AM »
Two that come to mind...

1. The final episode of Super Password, when Betty White is unable to help her partner win the CA$HWORD, she throws the magic toaster and it breaks.

2. During one Showcase Showdown, the player had 30 cents and spun again and landed on 70 for $1.00.  In his excitement, the player was thrashing his arms around and he hit and broke the "7" on the wheel.  Drew kind of laughed it off and fixed it.  I know had Barker been there he would have said "I'm glad you won $1,000 because that's how much it's going to cost to fix our wheel!"

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2023, 12:28:07 PM »
This was cut out, but on my Strahan Pyramid episode, one of the metal rectangles that borders ech of the little pyramid's trilons came loose as the trilon was trying to turn. Really wish they would leave that kinda stuff in.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2023, 12:50:37 AM »
I thought they stopped tilting so as not to smash into the car they put upstage centre.

I wouldn’t know about that, but I seem to remember that the first car rounds were played with them tilted.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2023, 02:05:47 AM »
I thought they stopped tilting so as not to smash into the car they put upstage centre.

I wouldn’t know about that, but I seem to remember that the first car rounds were played with them tilted.

Right. There's a country mile of distance between the cards and the car.

-Jason

Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Mr. Matté

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2023, 08:13:39 AM »
This was cut out, but on my Strahan Pyramid episode, one of the metal rectangles that borders ech of the little pyramid's trilons came loose as the trilon was trying to turn. Really wish they would leave that kinda stuff in.

I had thought the whole boards were just giant single TV screens based on how smoothly and consistently timed they always seemed to be when "turning." Maybe it was just Richardsmid that had a solid screen only?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 08:55:12 AM by Mr. Matté »

chrisholland03

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2023, 08:41:17 AM »
Is the story true that the big electronic percent sign on Play The Percentages ended up as useless decor after a couple episodes, because it damaged the set when it came up?

I had dinner with Geoff when he was in Branson years ago.  The story he told was -  that section of the set floor was stored upright with the pop-up latched down.  It wasn't unlatched when the set was dressed for the taping, and the hydrualics broke the set floor when it was activated.  Geoff didn't elaborate on what 'broke the set floor' entailed other than there was a long stop-down and the end result was no more pop-up.