Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Set pieces/props damaged during shows  (Read 10175 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Set pieces/props damaged during shows
« on: December 10, 2022, 10:48:43 AM »
The Lucky 7 incident with Janice from ~1997 made me think about stuff damaged during shows.  I'm not talking about mechanical/electronic issues and I'm not talking about regular wear-and-tear.

*  The UK Wheel of Fortune had someone damage their wheel by moving it counter-clockwise.  Video is out there.
*  The Magic Toaster twice.
*  On Win, Lose, or Draw (99% sure it was the Convy version), someone tested a marker by drawing some lines on the easel instead of on the pad of paper.  The ink marks were visible for weeks.
*  And the final episode of Rhyme and Reason, supposedly.

SuperMatch93

Re: Set pieces/props damaged during shows
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 10:57:50 AM »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 11:32:38 AM »
The Joker’s Wild contestant who pulled the Face the Devil lever a little too hard. Jack exclaimed “You broke our set!”
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Stackertosh

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 04:39:13 PM »
The Price Is Right Contestant Shatter the Big Wheel Light.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2022, 05:05:08 PM »
The original Feud buzz-in button (sorry about the watermark):

I think PYL's original buttons were broken once or twice before they changed out the style of buttons as well.

Chief-O

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2022, 06:24:27 PM »
I think PYL's original buttons were broken once or twice before they changed out the style of buttons as well.

I believe I heard about Peter having said something to the effect of "You obliterated our buzzer!" on one of those occasions.
.....and it goes like this!!!

WhammyPower

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2022, 06:28:01 PM »
Two incidents on US Deal or No Deal come to mind. The first is where a contestant bumped into the phone and it fell on the floor. A replacement was put in during the commercial break. Another contestant slammed down the cover on the Deal button so hard, it broke off its hinge. In this case, it was repaired with duct tape during the commercial. In both cases, the Banker deducted the cost of repairs from their next offer.

SamJ93

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2022, 07:37:00 PM »
The episode of syndicated MG in which Gene destroyed the doors he entered through at the top of the show. I can only assume thay the staff was planning to replace the doors anyway...or that he just didn't care at that point.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2022, 09:01:00 PM »
The episode of syndicated MG in which Gene destroyed the doors he entered through at the top of the show. I can only assume thay the staff was planning to replace the doors anyway...or that he just didn't care at that point.
It was a gimmicked door specially built for the sole purpose of that gag. Notice the way it breaks. There's not even a split down the middle that would open up for Gene's entrance.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2022, 09:10:48 PM »

I believe I heard about Peter having said something to the effect of "You obliterated our buzzer!" on one of those occasions.
I remember him calling it a “broken shmaggie”. But I don’t think those buzzers made it past the end of 1983.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

rebelwrest

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2022, 09:26:21 PM »
I think we may have to make a distinction between on purpose and accidental.  One of the more bizarre set piece destruction occurred on the last episode of the Portuguese Wheel of Fortune.   During the show the soon to be fired host ended up shooting prizes and set pieces with a gun.....yes you read that correctly.  Oh yes, there is proof.

Or if you don't want to watch all boring bits (the actual game), here is all the gunshots:

My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2022, 11:17:46 PM »

There was another instance on TPiR where part of the Showcase Showdown's numbers (part of them, anyway) broke because a contestant got too excited. XD

Allstar87

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 11:47:32 PM »
On the second episode of Your Number's Up, one contestant managed to break their buzzer. (Starts at 3:01). Oddly, nobody calls attention to it, they go to commercial after a spin where the affected contestant wouldn't need to buzz in anyway, and the buzzer's back in place after the ad break.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 12:00:30 AM »
It was a gimmicked door specially built for the sole purpose of that gag. Notice the way it breaks. There's not even a split down the middle that would open up for Gene's entrance.

Was the first time more spontaneous? It appears to be the real doors to my eyes, but the sound op was awfully quick with the gag music.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 12:48:39 AM »
Those doors looked mighty thin and flimsy, almost like it was made of balsa wood.