Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Mount Rushmore  (Read 1926 times)

Trisscope

Game Show Mount Rushmore
« on: December 05, 2022, 12:53:30 PM »
One of my friends was listening to a radio show where they regularly discuss the Mount Rushmore of things, and today they talked about TV game shows. I see there's been a few discussions in the past about game show hosts as a Mount Rushmore, but not any about the shows themselves.

What would you put on your Game Show Mount Rushmore? I have my thoughts, but I want to see what others think first.

Those other posts: http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,6421.msg66674.html#msg66674
http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,24040.0.html

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Game Show Mount Rushmore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 01:20:35 PM »
Price is Right, Password, What’s My Line, Jeopardy.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »
Tpir, Lmand, wof, Pyramid
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

nowhammies10

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 02:42:10 PM »
To Tell The Truth: Flip-flopped between this and What's My Line?. WML? nearly won out due to it being the pioneer of the G-T panel games, but I give the nod to TTTT for being the better show. There will always be interesting people who have interesting stories from all walks of life, and TTTT has proved that across seven decades at this point.

Jeopardy!: Still the granddaddy of quiz shows, having stood up to and outlasted stiff competition (looking at you, Millionaire). It's the pinnacle of TV quizzing competitions in North America and goes on my Mt. Rushmore because of that.

The (New) Price is Right: It's been going for 50 years and counting, so they must be doing something right. Price has ascended to icon status in the same way as J!, but for entirely different reasons. It's what we all watched when we were home sick from school. The fuzzy nostalgia factor has been leaned into more and more in recent years and the show is as popular now as it ever was. It's your "warm blanket" of game shows.

The $100,000 Pyramid (Clark): I'm being more specific here than with the other shows. Pyramid is, in my opinion, the best game show developed specifically for television. Easy to play, difficult to master, and Dick Clark knew how to command the proceedings. I defy you to find me a more dramatic, tension-filled moment than when a contestant is going for the $100,000, Dick calls for silence from the audience, and the studio goes so quiet that you can hear the air conditioning running. Then, when a contestant finally does win the big money, all that tension is released and it's bedlam. Lights up! Bells! Music! Audience bleachers empty! Television doesn't get more compelling than that.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 03:04:37 PM »
In no particular order:

TPiR
Jeopardy!
Wheel
Feud
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 05:28:02 PM »
This was discussed on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio “The Morning Drive” this morning.  One of the hosts relayed a story about Price staffers holding up huge cards with people’s names on them for “come on down” purposes, as the studio is too loud.

I’ve never heard this before…is there any truth to this?

As far as my Mount Rushmore, I lied on my Twitter submission as to not make myself a total geek.  My top four:  Pyramid, Password, Truth, Jeopardy.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 05:57:52 PM »
This was discussed on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio “The Morning Drive” this morning.  One of the hosts relayed a story about Price staffers holding up huge cards with people’s names on them for “come on down” purposes, as the studio is too loud.

True although not sure if they still do so today
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Brian44

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 07:14:08 PM »

At the show I was on in 1996, they did that for the first 4 contestants.

joelvanderveen

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 11:16:57 PM »

I was at a taping in the fall of 2019 with my wife, my brother and my sister, and I can confirm the contestants' names were being shown as they were called to come on down.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 05:49:30 PM »
Mine tend to change every couple of years, but right now at age 40:

$100,000 Pyramid
Wheel of Fortune
Password
The Price is Right w/ Bill Cullen

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 10:05:59 PM »
The Price is Right
Wheel of Fortune
Jeopardy!
The $100,000 Pyramid

There's a lot of jockeying for the 4th spot (WML, TTTT, Millionaire, Password), but I think the first three are pretty solid. TPIR's theme song is the synonymous with winning. Wheel of Fortune ranks as one of the most watched television programs (not just game show) of *all-time.* I think it can be missed now how popular Wheel was when it first debuted in syndication. Jeopardy is the gold standard of quizzer here in America, even if it doesn't hold up around the world. It's mix of knowledge and presentation skyrocketed to a class of prestige. Pyramid's Winner's Circle is the best bonus round in game shows, in my opinion. It doesn't resonate like phrases from the first three, which is why it could be swapped out with a number of shows, but "For $(x)xx,000, here is your first subject. Go!" is just one of those phases where your focus is on a tense 60 seconds where you're equally paying attention and formulating clues in your head yourself. It's almost perfect in my eyes.

I was at a taping in the fall of 2019 with my wife, my brother and my sister, and I can confirm the contestants' names were being shown as they were called to come on down.
I had been to numerous tapings from 2017-2020 and to one this year since the pandemic started and I can double confirm that they still put everyone's name on a cue card instead of just the first four because unlike the Barker Era, where the audience would be quiet as Bob threw to the announcer, they have the audience cheering as the show comes back from every break. Not only is it useful for the purposes of avoiding mishearing/not hearing at all, it also makes for a nice souvenir for every contestant, especially the ones who didn't get up on stage.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.