Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN to revive Split Second  (Read 35810 times)

Mike Tennant

Re: GSN to revive Split Second
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2023, 03:26:11 PM »
Caesar says, "Stop!"

Sodboy13

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2023, 07:23:36 PM »
That is a hell of a time slot to plop your new game show into.
Filing this one into the extremely crowded drawer labeled, "Welp, shows how much I know," because Split Second is now rated in the top 40 of all shows on cable. The only other GSN show in the Top 150 is its lead-in, Switch, which ranked 72nd last night.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BillCullen1

« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2023, 06:52:48 PM »
GSN is now airing Switch and Split Second on weekends at 7 and 7:30 pm ET, respectively.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2023, 12:52:14 AM »
That is a hell of a time slot to plop your new game show into.
Filing this one into the extremely crowded drawer labeled, "Welp, shows how much I know," because Split Second is now rated in the top 40 of all shows on cable. The only other GSN show in the Top 150 is its lead-in, Switch, which ranked 72nd last night.

I've seen speculation elsewhere that the bump may have partially been caused by Tucker Carlson's dismissal from Fox and his demographic finding something different to watch, since the spike coincided with his first week off the air.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2023, 08:52:42 AM »
I've seen speculation elsewhere that the bump may have partially been caused by Tucker Carlson's dismissal from Fox and his demographic finding something different to watch, since the spike coincided with his first week off the air.

I have a really hard time picturing that Venn diagram.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Sodboy13

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2023, 10:04:12 AM »
Yeah if you're there for Tucker at 8, I have to think you were already face down in the slop trough at 7.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2023, 04:44:00 AM »
A couple thoughts after seeing the preview:

I *really* liked the opening moment: JM enters, pick up your buzzers, here we go..."and that's how we play Split Second."

I appreciated the set being in oranges and reds.

It seems odd to play for points to determine order in the Countdown Round, but whatever, it's their money.

I *don't* find the format to be "broken." I get that there's no buzzing before the question is finished, but that rule has been okay for 30-something years on Jeopardy. From where I sit, the format is "three part questions, value determined by how many people answer correctly; repeat, doubling the values; Countdown Round where you can answer 1, 2, or 3 parts, first to zero wins."

Having a bonus game that has *something* to do with the main game is, well, a bonus.

I'm thrilled to see this format back on the air.

But for Goodson's sake, get JM a chiropractor for the pain he's incurring holding that dang iPad.

Just watched the show for the first time tonight and this largely tracks with my notes. I think their director made a few interesting choices but the game's the thing and what's there is good.  I also appreciated their variation on the Countdown Round - I've always felt that Monty's version got it right making the leader still buzz twice, but pushing 2nd and 3rd back to 6/8 restores some of the "leader's advantage" that the original 3-4-5 conferred.