Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN to revive Split Second  (Read 35801 times)

Casey Buck

Re: GSN to revive Split Second
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2023, 07:48:51 PM »
I just hope that they don't use the Monty Hall version method of asking the question first, then revealing the 3 answers. That took out all the risk of buzzing in first and simply created a race to hit the buzzer as fast as you can.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2023, 09:44:24 PM »
Im cautiously optimistic. Did we have a premiere date i glossed over?
Travis L. Eberle

BillCullen1

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2023, 08:52:50 AM »
Im cautiously optimistic. Did we have a premiere date i glossed over?

GSN just ran a promo listing April as the premiere date. Nothing more specific yet.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2023, 11:14:43 AM »
I just hope that they don't use the Monty Hall version method of asking the question first, then revealing the 3 answers. That took out all the risk of buzzing in first and simply created a race to hit the buzzer as fast as you can.

I heard from someone who's going to be a contestant that the options show up at the same time as the question, but you can’t answer until all are read.

However, he also said that he didn't feel like the show dragged and that folks will enjoy it.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »
I heard from someone who's going to be a contestant that the options show up at the same time as the question, but you can’t answer until all are read.

So the question is going to be displayed on-screen, and no anticipatory buzzing, thereby allowing players to think about it instead of needing to answer in a...split second.

Hard pass.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2023, 01:35:19 PM »

Well, that seems to work well enough for JEOPARDY!, so I'm still hopeful this will be fun.
czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2023, 02:51:19 PM »

So the question is going to be displayed on-screen, and no anticipatory buzzing, thereby allowing players to think about it instead of needing to answer in a...split second.

Hard pass.
I’ve noticed GSN shows tend to spell everything out to the viewers, as if they can’t simply grasp how things work. It won’t stop me from watching, but I wonder if this factored into the decision?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2023, 03:06:46 PM »

Hard pass.

In other words (unless I’m missing something here), we’re playing by the Monty Hall rules?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2023, 03:50:27 PM »
In other words (unless I’m missing something here), we’re playing by the Monty Hall rules?

Even worse. On top of all of that, they can read ahead of the host, so the buzzer battle is effectively a reflex test, much like Jeopardy.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 11:14:04 PM »
While a lot of us here (absolutely including me) have a fondness for games in which a contestant anticipates the answer (also see: Sale of the Century), I'm sure researchers and focus groups and whatever other homogenizing forces have convinced producers that the average viewer does not.  I'm afraid that a lot of brilliant original formats of the 70s wouldn't fly today because TPTB have decided that they're too challenging for their audience to follow.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Otm Shank

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2023, 02:12:46 AM »
I was trying to sketch out a variant of Split Second a while back and it might have worked as a compromise for the must-answer-early-buzz but without interrupting the question. Although it would stray from the roots of the game slightly, I would have the contestant lock in which choice with one of three buttons.

When the question is finished, the board would dim all the choices except the one selected by the fastest finger, who would answer the question. The second fastest would answer their selection or pick-up an incorrect answer by the first player. The final player would get the remaining choice by default, but could answer any other unanswered choice. Because we aren't using artboards or an Amiga Video Toaster mosaic/zoom/crunch, the display would have only the available choices would be "lit up" for the contestant.

In the Countdown Round, players are still selecting which multiple choice clue, but the fastest player would then advance to the second player's selection to attempt to steal that, then the third. Essentially, the same as the money/points round, but a sweep of the board would have to be solved in the order each was buzzed in. The second or third player would not be able to answer the question if a previous player advanced to their selection and answered it properly, even if there is a leftover choice still on the board.

So it isn't a buzzer-mashing exercise, but a calculated selection to ferret out the potentially easier response. It doesn't allow for "mindbender" or "give me one of the 3..." type questions, unless you just convert that to a possible "push the center button first."

It does bring in some slight inequities, but it does make the decision part more "split second" if we must also have the full question read.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2023, 09:09:57 AM »
I'm afraid that a lot of brilliant original formats of the 70s wouldn't fly today because TPTB have decided that they're too challenging for their audience to follow.
My least cynical counter to this is if your primary enjoyment from watching game shows is playing along having questions be consistently interrupted affects your ability to do that.

/Botulism
This signature is currently under construction.

Sodboy13

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2023, 10:01:53 AM »
Making the first two rounds even more of a luck-of-the-circuits buzzer mash than the Hall version and creating an even bigger handicap in the Countdown Round based on said buzzer mashing feels like they're breaking the game twice.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2023, 10:34:12 AM »
I'm afraid that a lot of brilliant original formats of the 70s wouldn't fly today because TPTB have decided that they're too challenging for their audience to follow.
My least cynical counter to this is if your primary enjoyment from watching game shows is playing along having questions be consistently interrupted affects your ability to do that.

Totally fair.  The beauty of Jeopardy is very much that the home audience gets those few extra seconds to process each clue, which exponentially adds to the "play along" factor.  Apparently, the decision has been made that "Split Second" will benefit from the same sort of structure.  I'll still have a soft spot for the more dynamic and strategic original version.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2023, 11:39:54 AM »
To be fair, I'm probably in agreement with you, but over the past handful of years GSN (and the greater game show landscape) have shied away from on-the-buzzer quizzes. I assume one reason is increased accessibility for both audience and contestants.

Nobody asked but I imagine the reason we're getting this in the first place is that someone at GSN saw the spoils of Buzzr airing Whew and Classic Concentration (and maybe NBC's Password) and wondered what they could bring out from the mothballs to get the same result.
This signature is currently under construction.