Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN to revive Split Second  (Read 36738 times)

tvwxman

Re: GSN to revive Split Second
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2023, 07:33:40 AM »
Meh.

It's done backwards! The essence of buzzing in first on Kennedy's version was that you saw the three parts first and then tried to anticipate the question.  Here, everyone just buzzes in and they announce who was first.....it takes a lot of the challenge out of it.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Brig Bother

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2023, 07:45:12 AM »
The scoring is silly if you're not converting points to dollars, all three getting a question right holds no value effectively, unless I've missed something and the Countdown round scores are score rather than position dependent.

I appreciate the pace though. And I like the material, but yes the actual buzz-in element feels like a lottery.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2023, 07:59:04 AM »
The scoring is silly if you're not converting points to dollars, all three getting a question right holds no value effectively, unless I've missed something and the Countdown round scores are score rather than position dependent.
I get what you mean, but it would be odd to have a frequent situation where right answers are not rewarded. Somebody who tunes in late can tell how the players as a group  are doing by looking at the score line but if everybody right splits a pie of zero points that same late viewer won’t get the complete picture.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 12:20:15 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2023, 07:12:05 PM »
A couple thoughts after seeing the preview:

I *really* liked the opening moment: JM enters, pick up your buzzers, here we go..."and that's how we play Split Second."

I appreciated the set being in oranges and reds.

It seems odd to play for points to determine order in the Countdown Round, but whatever, it's their money.

I *don't* find the format to be "broken." I get that there's no buzzing before the question is finished, but that rule has been okay for 30-something years on Jeopardy. From where I sit, the format is "three part questions, value determined by how many people answer correctly; repeat, doubling the values; Countdown Round where you can answer 1, 2, or 3 parts, first to zero wins."

Having a bonus game that has *something* to do with the main game is, well, a bonus.

I'm thrilled to see this format back on the air.

But for Goodson's sake, get JM a chiropractor for the pain he's incurring holding that dang iPad.
czambo@mac.com

colonial

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2023, 10:15:12 AM »
Saw the premiere and the "preview" episode GSN posted on YT.

I didn't have any issues with it -- moved quickly with plenty of content. Loved the set with the "stopwatch" theme but, as others noted, JMH's lectern seemed a tad on the small side.

The bonus game offers more of a challenge than the "pick a screen and hope three match" offering from the Monty version.

Did find it peculiar that if a player misses a question, said question is ruled dead and the answer is revealed, but it's not something to get upset about.

I tried holding my iPad the "JMH Way" and promptly dropped it on my foot :) . Seriously, Higgins is a strong host who's made healthy strides since his early episodes of "America Says," where he was more of an actor playing a role. 

I understand those who remember the Kennedy and Hall version may have their issues with GSN's take on the format, but it's something I'd watch regularly.

JD

BillCullen1

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2023, 10:42:57 AM »
Saw the premiere and the "preview" episode GSN posted on YT.

I tried holding my iPad the "JMH Way" and promptly dropped it on my foot :) . Seriously, Higgins is a strong host who's made healthy strides since his early episodes of "America Says," where he was more of an actor playing a role. 

I understand those who remember the Kennedy and Hall version may have their issues with GSN's take on the format, but it's something I'd watch regularly.

JD

Totally agree. If it gets a second season (crosses fingers), they might resolve the iPad and podium issues. I feel GSN did a good job here.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2023, 02:20:44 PM »
It seems odd to play for points to determine order in the Countdown Round, but whatever, it's their money.
Seen this comment on here a couple of times- I don't really sense a difference in points vs dollars as far as that being the determinant. Besides, every other GSN show is $1,000 for the winner, nothing for the losers, so it's pretty on brand.

The essence of buzzing in first on Kennedy's version was that you saw the three parts first and then tried to anticipate the question.  Here, everyone just buzzes in and they announce who was first.....it takes a lot of the challenge out of it.
GSN has taken the Jeopardy '85 route with their original programming- if the people can't follow, they won't watch. Notice that every original can be followed without sound; doesn't matter if you're deaf, waiting for your oil change or getting day drunk at a Hyatt Regency bar, GSN has you covered. Even Jeopardy requires some closed caption assistance for confirmation of the correct response. Playing Split Second as it was in 1972 doesn't align with the network template.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2023, 01:40:51 PM »
Besides, every other GSN show is $1,000 for the winner, nothing for the losers
I don’t quite understand this trend.  What’s wrong with throwing the losers a couple hundred bucks?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2023, 08:33:40 PM »
I'd like the endgame to have a little more leeway. Semi-related: I feel like a variant People Puzzler end game feels appropriate for Split Second. The rest of it the game is good enough mechanically.

What’s wrong with throwing the losers a couple hundred bucks?
It's an extra expense that adds up to tens of thousands of dollars over a season.
This signature is currently under construction.

Sodboy13

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2023, 09:06:24 PM »
I'd like the endgame to have a little more leeway. Semi-related: I feel like a variant People Puzzler end game feels appropriate for Split Second. The rest of it the game is good enough mechanically.

What’s wrong with throwing the losers a couple hundred bucks?
It's an extra expense that adds up to tens of thousands of dollars over a season.

Right, and there are ways to account for that in your game budget, but that requires thought and planning GSN is not interested in doing, because they have their set number for each and every show and their proven way to get to it.

Back when game shows were up and down three networks' daytime schedules, I'm sure a lot of of them offered the same prize, probably $5,000. But if a bunch of them on one network were all offering the same way to get there and the exact same amount for a front game win, well, it would seem a bit derivative at some point.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2023, 12:26:21 AM »

It's only extra if you don't have the ability to budget for it in other places.  If that's the case, it suggests a lack of creativity from the brass.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2023, 01:24:35 AM »
What sort of massive failure of imagination does it take to not reach out to the Croton company to have Split Second watches custom made for the players? Is prize procurement a dead art? Wintuition may have pulled up lame a fifth of the way from the finish line but the day’s winner always got a prize before the $50,000 Desk of Destiny and they had the $200 in quarters/pizza. Could they not round up anything from their advertisers to give away as a singleton bonus?

And don’t even get me started about how Master Minds has no reward for someone who gets three right and misses the ultimate question as opposed to someone who gets a golden sombrero.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2023, 01:22:57 PM »
What sort of massive failure of imagination does it take to not reach out to the Croton company

They misdialed and couldn't figure out what salad had to do with anything.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2023, 02:08:40 PM »
So you're saying the idea got tossed.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Clay Zambo

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2023, 02:27:31 PM »
Or maybe it wasn't (ad)dressed.
czambo@mac.com