Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN to revive Split Second  (Read 36602 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Re: GSN to revive Split Second
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2023, 07:42:05 PM »
GSN did a survey with an episode of Split Second, looking for viewer feedback.

I like it.  The material difficulty tends to be on the casual side--challenging at times, but overall not as challenging as Master Minds or even Switch.  It's a definite record to start, not a watch because it's head-to-head with Jeopardy!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2023, 08:05:48 PM »

I like it.  The material difficulty tends to be on the casual side--challenging at times, but overall not as challenging as Master Minds or even Switch.  It's a definite record to start, not a watch because it's head-to-head with Jeopardy!
this is my main issue. I presume that they will start to put repeats on the schedule and I can wait for that.
Travis L. Eberle

Clay Zambo

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2023, 11:00:31 PM »

I like it.  [...]

That is the best news I've heard all day!
czambo@mac.com

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2023, 06:59:37 AM »
No pressure there, Clay.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2023, 08:17:35 AM »
No pressure there, Clay.

Well, considering it was a day that included having our tax return rejected by the IRS, it was a low bar to clear. But I really want to love this show, so I'm glad you liked the preview episode.
czambo@mac.com

SuperMatch93

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2023, 05:57:10 PM »
And we have an episode.

Honestly, I liked it. I thought the waiting for answers to be read would slow it down, but the trivia was compelling enough that I didn't notice it.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2023, 06:55:56 PM »
I enjoyed it as well. The difficulty is somewhere between Kennedy’s and Hall’s and JMH has really grown as a host. The only gripe I have is the contestants should be allowed to buzz in as soon as the answers appear. One interesting thing I noticed: are contestants required to recite the entire clue before answering? Some of the clues were a mouthful.

EDIT: two gripes. I try not to write off GSN shows as all looking the same, but their inability to offer ANY breathing room between the bonus round’s conclusion and the start of the credits blows my mind. Contestant gives the winning answer, cue the bells, roll credits. You could trim down the contestant interviews and give JMH and the winner a little more time to celebrate. /endrant

Other than that, fun show. I could see myself recording it and watching later.

/Work plus J! at 7:30
//As it should be
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 07:08:45 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sodboy13

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2023, 10:36:55 PM »
I notice a problem here.

When one of the players gives an incorrect answer, the right answer is provided by the host immediately. So if you buzz in third, and the two players ahead of you get their questions wrong, you still have no choice but whichever of the three options remains.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2023, 11:13:38 PM »
Of all the shows to have excessive chyrons explaining the scoring, you would think Split Second would be the ones that need it the most.

My other observation is there is no way in hell holding a giant tablet the way John does can be comfortable.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2023, 11:19:31 PM »
Of all the shows to have excessive chyrons explaining the scoring, you would think Split Second would be the ones that need it the most.
I knew it was something I forgot. In addition to JMH’s lectern being so small, I immediately noticed the missing scoring configuration.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PPatters

« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2023, 03:38:24 AM »

So, I was a contestant on this show and… as contestants, we were as clueless. We didn’t know our scores at all until the countdown round. Otherwise, all we had to rely on was when Michael would occasionally say what place we were in.
Patrick

SamJ93

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2023, 06:49:00 AM »
Finally had a chance to watch this. Like most GSN originals, the biggest reaction I had was..."meh." If I had no idea that it was a revival of a vastly superior show, I would've thought it was pretty good.

As it stands, though, they desperately need to allow contestants to ring in as soon as the choices are revealed as others mentioned, or at the very least show the buzz-in order lighting up in sequence. The way they do it almost gives the impression to casual viewers that the order is just determined randomly every time.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 11:12:52 AM by SamJ93 »
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

BillCullen1

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2023, 07:30:51 PM »
The show is okay. Surprised that GSN doesn't have repeat airings of this and Switch on their schedule.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2023, 11:25:32 PM »

So, I was a contestant on this show and… as contestants, we were as clueless. We didn’t know our scores at all until the countdown round. Otherwise, all we had to rely on was when Michael would occasionally say what place we were in.
That wasn't what I was talking about* but oof. Also retroactive good luck?

*-Usually GSN shows have lower thirds whenever there's any sort of explanation about scoring and there was nothing here.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2023, 12:41:58 AM »
As it stands, though, they desperately need to allow contestants to ring in as soon as the choices are revealed as others mentioned, or at the very least show the buzz-in order lighting up in sequence. The way they do it almost gives the impression to casual viewers that the order is just determined randomly every time.
There was a question about tastes where the first and last letters were given and it would have felt right at home as a question in 1973 but when you see the question then answer choices there’s no punch. I get wanting to show a viewing but not listening audience everything but it does lose a ton of emotional punch.

Longer Countdown Round is good and the race for $10k is fine. Top marks for John who is coming into his own as a utility player, but I wonder if the holder of the IP really knew what they had or how heavy of a handGSN wielded.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 12:19:31 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle