Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "People Puzzler" coming to syndication  (Read 3731 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: "People Puzzler" coming to syndication
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2022, 06:29:45 PM »
The counterpoint is : People search out hit shows that have millions of viewers and have hit the 100 ep mark to be brought into syndication.  People remember plots, jokes, set ups, storylines. Game shows don't bring that to the table.

(Most) game shows are not like that. With the exception of Wheel and Jep, there aren't many game shows that have reached "appointment television" over the years.

I'm not sure the point trying to be made here. Isn't the strategy to see if they can replicate the show's success on GSN in a broader arena? I recall one of the articles about GSN's overall slate touting how much day-to-day engagement they get with their strategy of leaning into 5-a-week shows. Did I miss what you were driving at?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tvwxman

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 04:24:36 PM »
I'm not sure the point trying to be made here. Isn't the strategy to see if they can replicate the show's success on GSN in a broader arena? I recall one of the articles about GSN's overall slate touting how much day-to-day engagement they get with their strategy of leaning into 5-a-week shows. Did I miss what you were driving at?

I think the point is : doesn't a station want to air successful shows that get higher ratings so that they can charge more money and turn a bigger profit?

Airing 2 year old reruns of a cable game show isn't going to accomplish that. And instead,  the local tv station becomes a little more homogenized (and irrelevant) in a 5000 channel universe.

Call me curmudgeonly, but I can't imagine the producers are thinking that People Puzzler is going to be a cash cow. Instead , they're going to make a little money on syndie rights and then next year, the next batch of cheap programming will be slotted. Or, the 6th double run of the day of Feud on that channel.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

snowpeck

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2022, 05:08:09 PM »

I think the point is : doesn't a station want to air successful shows that get higher ratings so that they can charge more money and turn a bigger profit?

Airing 2 year old reruns of a cable game show isn't going to accomplish that. And instead,  the local tv station becomes a little more homogenized (and irrelevant) in a 5000 channel universe.

Call me curmudgeonly, but I can't imagine the producers are thinking that People Puzzler is going to be a cash cow. Instead , they're going to make a little money on syndie rights and then next year, the next batch of cheap programming will be slotted. Or, the 6th double run of the day of Feud on that channel.
I mean let's call it what it is, or is going to be -- cheap programming to fill time slots with low ad rates.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)