Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Host Bloopers -- Accidentally Mentioning Prior Gigs  (Read 5090 times)

TimK2003

Host Bloopers -- Accidentally Mentioning Prior Gigs
« on: November 30, 2022, 09:23:01 AM »
I was watching a YT video recently from a person who was a contestant on both The Cross Wits and Tic Tac Dough, and she uploaded her appearances.

During the TTD episode, Wink Martindale slipped up and instead of inviting the contestant to come over to Face The Dragon, he said to, "Come on over to the GAMBIT board".  Obviously, he immediately knew what he said and cringed in embarrassment while the crowd laughed and cheered for his faux pas.

What other hosts *inadvertantly* made reference to a former show they hosted?

The only other occurrence I can think of off the top of my head was Peter Tomarken on Wipeout advising a contestant to avoid a Whammy instead of the Wipeout.

Others?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Re: Host Bloopers -- Accidentally Mentioning Prior Gigs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 09:27:34 AM »
“I kept telling them, ‘Look, find someone else to do it, it’ll be a huge hit.’ Look what happened to Wheel!”

Chuck Woolery, final Scrabble 1990
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 10:07:10 AM »
While hosting Paranoia, Peter also slipped up and called the Family Channel “Game Show Network”. I think he caught himself and said the right network.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 10:11:41 AM »
Not his show, unless you went to the future and counted CDi video games, but Wink also told someone to come over and face the Devil.  Saw this one when I first got GSN in 97.  Geez, 25 years ago!

Another TTD had another accidental Gambit reference, where Wink calls Jay Stewart "Kenny" when asking for the contestants.  (Jay: "I will, and so will Jay...")

Peter Marshall.  Reel to Reel Picture Show.  That is all
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 10:24:45 AM »
In Quizmaster there's a story about Bill starting an episode of Blockbusters by saying "Welcome to Blankety Blanks! Wait, what show is this?"

Bob Barker once asked for Charlie (his ToC announcer) to call down another contestant on Price.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 10:25:18 AM »
At least once (maybe it was more?), Alex Trebek referred to Jeopardy while hosting Classic Concentration.

Bill Rafferty also slipped up and mentioned Blockbusters while hosting syndie Card Sharks.

BillCullen1

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 10:32:47 AM »
Once on TPIR when they were playing Five Price Tags, Barker said "You can win choices of the five price tags by playing Truth or Consequences."

On the 90s Jackpot, Geoff called Johnny Gilbert by the name Johnny Jacobs.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 10:33:28 AM »
I just digitized a Scrabble episode during Love Week, and Chuck welcomes everyone to "Love Connection Week."

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 10:51:56 AM »
I just digitized a Scrabble episode during Love Week, and Chuck welcomes everyone to "Love Connection Week."

Somewhat related(ish?) - Did it ever become known/confirmed the degree of deliberation in Chuck calling the red balls in Lingo "stoppers". (ie the invalid Scrabble tiles)?  In the earliest instances, it feels very accidental and he tried to not, but by a certain point a short distance into the run, it's organically become their name on that version.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 01:07:27 PM »
At least once (maybe it was more?), Alex Trebek referred to Jeopardy while hosting Classic Concentration.
Yep--there were a few episodes where he called Wild Cards "Daily Doubles" (then he'd look sheepishly into the camera and say, "Did I do it again?").
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

snowpeck

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2022, 01:19:55 PM »
Once on The Diamond Head Game, Bob Eubanks thanked the contestants for playing The Newlywed Game. And I think the time it happened to Rafferty, he referred to Card Sharks on Blockbusters instead of the other way around.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2022, 01:27:22 PM »
“I kept telling them, ‘Look, find someone else to do it, it’ll be a huge hit.’ Look what happened to Wheel!
That seems to be more of a purposeful mention.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 02:16:12 PM »
There was a Buzzr-aired episode of Whew! where Tom Kennedy mentions the Gauntlet for a chance to win $100k.   He later corrected himself without mentioning the likely reference to the $100,000 Name That Tune by name, though most viewers likely figured it out.

WhammyPower

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 02:44:32 PM »
There was a Buzzr-aired episode of Whew! where Tom Kennedy mentions the Gauntlet for a chance to win $100k.   He later corrected himself without mentioning the likely reference to the $100,000 Name That Tune by name, though most viewers likely figured it out.
"It's not what you say that counts, it's how many notes you bid!"

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2022, 04:06:26 PM »
Somewhere in the '90s, there's a TPIR where Bob starts to sign off from Truth or Consequences after the Showcase -- "Bob Barker hoping all of your...prices are right."