Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classics coming to GSN 11/28  (Read 10229 times)

aaron sica

Classics coming to GSN 11/28
« on: November 15, 2022, 12:48:49 PM »
If TVPassport is to be believed, on Monday the 28th, GSN is replacing the 1-2pm (EST) Match Game hour with PYL at 1, Super Password at 1:30, Card Sharks at 2 (Perry), and Family Feud (Dawson) at 2:30.

This means that for the first time since the end of the "Dark Period", MG is not on GSN's schedule. If only there were other places to watch it...........

Chelsea Thrasher

Re: Classics coming to GSN 11/28
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 02:03:20 PM »
There is currently a hole in GSN's schedule page where those shows would air (usually whenever they're running shows that don't have metadata in the system that powers that page)

Looks like this is on the level.

On the one hand, ANY licensed show managing to air continuously on the same cable channel for 24 (almost 25) years is a feat we will almost assuredly never see come again as I doubt linear TV will still exist in it's present form in a quarter century based on current trends. On the other hand I hate Match Game and love all four shows involved (and like that GSN seems to be finding itself again) so this is a win.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 04:01:11 PM »
Hate is a strong word. Would you care to elaborate. Even I would hold the line at antipathy for the original run.
Travis L. Eberle

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 06:11:32 PM »
Would you care to elaborate.

Wasn't really wanting to derail this thread for this, but since you asked: It is, without hesitation, my least favorite "popular" show in the canon by at least two orders of magnitude, particularly the 70s versions (most specifically the CBS run). When I'm having a day where I either actively watch Buzzr/GSN or even just passively have it on as background noise, it is the one show in rotation on either channel that will actively make me tune away.

Rayburn is frequently creepy and often sexist (even above the shit Barker was pulling on Price at times) or prejudiced at other ways (there's, what, several dozen shows Buzzr skips for content now?), much of the 70s version's humor generally comes from either "how drunk WAS the panel during this?" or "let's make fun of the dumb rube contestants without them knowing", the writing (especially from around late 1974-onwards) is generally the exact same type of comedy that absolutely everyone loves to complain about on Family Feud w/ Steve Harvey, just ~40 years earlier and with stricter TV regulations, and in general, I find the game empty and the show disgusting. There's also an entire year of the show (1977-78) where this "legendary comedy game show"'s #1 joke essentially amounted to "haha one of our panelists doesn't want to be here and is making everyone miserable!". 

The Baldwin version wraps itself in the veneer of the 70s version (and see above) while being connecting to a host who on a good day is a fairly terrible human being and doesn't even have the whole "it was 40 years ago" garbage to hide behind.

The 1998 version is an absolute trainwreck in execution in nearly every way (saved only remotely by arguably the show's best host excluding the Convy pilots), although it's definitely the best looking set-wise, and the 1990 version's greatest sin, besides Match-Up (which absolutely WAS cheated in some episodes), is how utterly dull it is with all of the garbage from the 70s taken out but absolutely no life put back in. I generally think the '90 version is the least worst, but that isn't generally a compliment.

I don't have that degree of feeling towards the 60s run (but then again only a couple of episodes circulate/have been aired), but if I never had to sit through any of the Rayburn-helmed Match Game again while waiting on Buzzr (or GSN until now) to air literally anything else it'd be too soon.

About three months ago I was trying to make space on my storage for stuff I actually enjoy. Through ripping old tapes and just "here you go" from other people with digital files, I'd accumulated about a quarter of the Rayburn run without even trying.  The shift+delete to free up that space was immensely satisfying - and while I can control the portion of viewing that I create (streaming, hard drive storage), not having it come up anyway when I'm a passive viewer on either linear network (GSN or Buzzr) for a while would be genuinely nice, and it's nice to see GSN move away from Rayburn for a while. (It'd be nicer if they remember the stuff their parent company owns).

IMO.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 10:38:53 PM »
The optimist in me hopes this is some kind of swap-out with BUZZR.  I know someone mentioned a package of Newlywed/TTD/Bumper Stumpers was airing in Canada.  It’d be cool to see those shows somewhere, as GSN hasn’t had space for them for at least a decade.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

snowpeck

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 09:18:55 PM »
It indeed will be a holiday stunt. GSN finally updated their online schedule. Digging through the source code shows the first week will be Press Your Luck from Christmas 1984 and 1985, Super Password from Christmas 1984 and Card Sharks and Family Feud from Christmas 1978.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 09:51:51 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 07:43:34 AM »
Looks like week two will be a change to the 1pm-2pm hour - P+ at 1, and TTTT at 1:30.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2022, 11:56:31 PM »
Too bad that this doesn't look like its permanent, but it will be cool to see some different shows on there for a few days.  It would be great if they would add just another hour of "classic" programming to go with Match Game when it (likely) returns in January.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TraderRob

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 09:32:38 PM »
I only get the SD feed and the aspect ratio was screwed up for all 4 shows. Everything looked zoomed in. What was it like on the HD feed?

tvmitch

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 10:24:36 PM »
I only get the SD feed and the aspect ratio was screwed up for all 4 shows. Everything looked zoomed in. What was it like on the HD feed?
I caught the last few minutes of SP (YouTube TV subscriber), and the way the aspect ratio was set up was very obviously a mistake; it was one of the cheeseball GSN standard-def letterbox graphics, but it was just sitting on top of a regular HD image.

I watched Feud later and it seemed better, but not 100%.
You should follow me on Twitter

snowpeck

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 01:39:22 AM »
All four shows had the tops and bottoms cropped off to faux 16:9. Press Your Luck also had holiday-themed borders on the sides, which cropped off even more of the image.
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 07:13:13 PM »
If my cable listings are properly comcastic, Match Game returns starting 12/12, with Card Sharks and Dawson Feud still in the 2 pm hour.
@lambertman

snowpeck

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 08:41:22 PM »
If my cable listings are properly comcastic, Match Game returns starting 12/12, with Card Sharks and Dawson Feud still in the 2 pm hour.
Looks like the week starts with Christmas week 1973 for Match Game, Card Sharks continues in December 1978 and Feud moves on to Christmas 1979.

snowpeck

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 05:33:39 PM »
The panel shows return during the overnight hours the week of 12/19. The first night is all I have access to right now, but the festivities start with a Wally Bruner WML? with Robert Clary as the mystery guest and the 3/30/60 IGAS with Janis Paige.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 05:34:19 PM »
Thank you for the reminder.
Travis L. Eberle