Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzr schedule change, Q4  (Read 16810 times)

Allstar87

Re: Buzzr schedule change, Q4
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2022, 11:31:44 AM »
I actually surprised this hasn't been brought back yet.  Especially considering the 'lack of star power' of many celebrities doesn't stop other shows from booking them .

It kinda-sorta came back on HBO Max, as "About Last Night". Even with the different atmosphere and new bonus round, its Tattletales inspiration is very evident.

It's a pretty fun watch, although be warned it gets much raunchier than Tattletales ever did!

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2022, 12:39:14 PM »
Unfortunately, it’s one of the shows no longer available on HBO Max following the WBD merger.
@lambertman

TimK2003

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2022, 07:44:09 PM »
I thought the intro was better when Johnny O. (or whoever the announcer was during the first couple of weeks of the 70s version) named all the couples at the top.
Believe it was Jack Clark.

Preferred the 70s theme myself (the 80s theme sounded more like a TPiR cue to my ears), and the 70s effects (although they did carry over the time's up bell to the 80s version).  But the 70s version tended to ramble more (seemed like they had "extra time" more often in the 80s version).  (And I strongly disliked the first format.  It found its footing a lot better when it went all "quickies.")

I'll take the 80's theme, but the opening vamp they had on the 70's show was better than the main theme..

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2022, 08:43:17 PM »
I'll agree with y'all that the '80s theme was a better example in the category of "theme song," but I also think its big, razzle-dazzle feel didn't really fit a show like Tattletales, where a handful of people stay motionless in the same space for the majority of a half hour.

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2022, 09:12:16 PM »
I dunno if I have a strong feeling for one theme over the other, but Scott makes an interesting point. In the early-80s, it seems Score went with bombastic, brassy themes for its G-T shows in an era where more theme songs were becoming synthesized.

For years I’ve thought this would’ve made an excellent car cue on TPiR, but it also feels like it should’ve been the unused theme for a G-T pilot.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tyshaun1

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2022, 07:08:36 AM »
I dunno if I have a strong feeling for one theme over the other, but Scott makes an interesting point. In the early-80s, it seems Score went with bombastic, brassy themes for its G-T shows in an era where more theme songs were becoming synthesized.

I've always thought that this was a Goodson preference; I think TPIR was intended to be a Moog-led theme song, but Goodson preferred a horn in there somewhere so Edd went with a horn that blended well with the Moog, hence the flugelhorn sharing lead instrument.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2022, 11:53:09 PM »
Since we're talking Tattletales I'll chime in.  My preference is for the '70s version.  I like the overall feel of it and the set a bit better - but I do agree with what others have said about answers going on too long sometimes.  They were originally called "quickies", but some of them seemed to take up a third of the show once that format was made permanent.  I would have liked "extra time" more often!

I also prefer the '70s music package - I just think it's more melodic, especially the mid-show prize plugs.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

chrisholland03

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2022, 01:40:05 PM »
Looks like CC and P+ move forward in their runs starting this Monday, and Perry CS started moving forward this past Monday (with episode 499).  TT moves back from 478 (1/6/76) to 285 (4/9/75).

Would anyone be willing to share:

CS Perry eps 505-508
CS Eubanks eps 527,528
TT 462,463,467,469,476

My streaming feed was knocked offline due to Windows Update changing some configuration settings and wasn't able to grab them.  Unfortunately my backup partners were not able to grab them either - so you'll be helping several of us out!  I'd be glad to help anyone backfill any of their missing Buzzr eps in return. 

Thanks in advance!

edit: Thanks to those that helped out!  I have them covered now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 05:10:59 PM by chrisholland03 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2022, 01:04:56 PM »
The "new to us" CCs end on 12/16 (from 783 back to 670 on 12/19).  And Perry CS jumps back from 518 (4/24/80) to 479 (2/29/80) on 12/5.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tyshaun1

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2022, 07:43:05 AM »
The "new to us" CCs end on 12/16 (from 783 back to 670 on 12/19).  And Perry CS jumps back from 518 (4/24/80) to 479 (2/29/80) on 12/5.
And the last of the new to Buzzr PYL episodes air on 12/9.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2022, 07:47:03 PM »
Always was a fan of the 80s version more (and i LOVE that theme more than the original)....

I actually surprised this hasn't been brought back yet.  Especially considering the 'lack of star power' of many celebrities doesn't stop other shows from booking them .
It has been brought back with Steph Curry but it wasn't renewed.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PPatters

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2022, 11:27:27 PM »
It has been brought back with Steph Curry but it wasn't renewed.

Under a different name (About Last Night), but ostensibly the same show (the format was more similar to Tattletales than Tattletales was to He Said, She Said). I watched all the episodes. It was fine, but lacking any audience due to COVID did take away some of the fun of the show.
Patrick

TimK2003

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2022, 11:41:35 AM »
Ah, clearly I didn"t read that press release. The last episode is numbered 3065, were there only 13 weeks taped for season 3?

Probably? The last reference to the show in the present or future tense in Broadcasting (and/or Cable) is September 1998 referencing the new season. It honestly might be one of the more stark examples of "going out with a whimper" in syndication history.

Most references from 1997-98 essentially say the Dating-Newlywed hour and individual ratings had been a ratings disaster in season 1, and only improved moderately with the reboots with Eubanks-Woolery for season 2. B&C largely ignores both shows' existence after Spring '98.

Buzzr stopped season 2 at 130 shows (which is approx. the same number of shows GSN were running in rotation in 2001-02), which suggests that production was probably suspended early and they just looped the 26 weeks they made an entire time through and waited to see if stations wanted to go around again. Enough stations said yes, so season 3 comes, numbers are even worse (multiple game, dating, and court shows debuted that year), stations hit eject, production stops after 65 shows. There's a vague reference in a May '99 B&C regarding a producer hire that speaks of both shows in the definite past tense.

After watching the two Season Three NG episodes aired on Christmas Eve primetime (and an additional one a couple of weeks back), I can see why the stations were dropping the show so quickly:

One episode airing the 24th had the ladies coming out in Sumo Wrestler costumes, and they held a battle to see which wife was the toughest.  Then the wives had to "try" to sit down in their chairs for the remainder of the round one questions. 

The following episode had a question asking the wives if they would throw a pie in their spouse's face for $50 on national TV.  And yes, there were actual pies for each wife and Bob had the money in hand.

Speaking of pies, the third episode I saw was a hybrid of the first two stunts (toughest/pies) -- the wives were dressed in drill sergeant attire and had to determine which wife could do the most push-ups.  A pie was placed below each wive's face on the floor to "motiviate" them.

All three of these stunts were painfully long, and in the case of the sumo wrestler costumes, very uncormfortable.  Compared to how Bob tried to tiptoe around these stunts while still looking professional, and how bad they were overall, The Diamond Head Game must have been a walk in the park!