Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What were your "aged like milk" GS opinions?  (Read 4805 times)

BrandonFG

Re: What were your "aged like milk" GS opinions?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 03:01:18 PM »
I was on the "LeVar for Jeopardy" train for a long while...until actually seeing him host it.
Much further back, I thought I'd really dislike George Gray taking on Weakest Link. I greatly enjoyed his version much more than Anne's, and still think it's superior.
I think Extreme Gong gave a lot of us the wrong impression of George. I much preferred the daytime version over the one on NBC, and George was a huge reason. I enjoy him on TPiR but I do wish he’d get another hosting job on the side as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 03:26:23 PM »
"Nobody's ever gonna bother uploading whole episodes of game shows to YouTube."

/hey, when I'm wrong, I'm wrong big
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 04:08:15 PM »
"Too many ownership issues for MG/HS to ever see the light of day in reruns."

Allstar87

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2022, 04:26:05 PM »
In the summer of 2008, I thought Wanna Bet was destined for a long run, and the "watered down Ninja Warrior ripoff" Wipeout would die a quick death.

Failed miserably on both counts. 😝

Winkfan

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2022, 05:24:30 PM »
As I mentioned years before, I thought the original Card Sharks would be another of NBC daytime's "13-week wonders;" I was glad to have been proven wrong.

I also believed the 1984 Name That Tune would be a blockbuster and the current Jeopardy would crash after one year. Turned out to be the other way around in both cases.

More of my case studies:

I thought "Who would watch a show titled Win Ben Stein's Money?"

I felt Second Honeymoon was destined to be a smash and MTV's Remote Control would "Bomb-A-Mundo." (Guess it's just me.)

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

JMFabiano

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2022, 06:27:10 PM »
The success of the show has nothing to do with me feeling this aged badly, but....

"The Richard Dawson comeback season of Feud was an abomination..." 

Sure they cut back a lot within the show, the Bullseye/Bankroll still took up time, I missed the classic set, and well, the start of the downward spiral of Ray Combs.  But it was more solid than I remembered it being.  Richard wasn't in his prime, but I still liked his work and was glad he got to return to TV in his more mellowed out form, after leaving the original show amidst stories of ego and being a nightmare backstage.  The jazzy theme worked for an updated/nighttime FF, and would probably fit in with the current version better. 

On the same token I can say the same about Davidson PIR...yes it was a different format and different looking show, but quite nice for what it was too. 

Oh!  Seeing as I was partially responsible for the nickname...

"The time without most of the Goodson-Todman shows was GSN's 'dark period'..."

No.  We now see we could and did have it a lot worse.  Late 1997-98 at least gave us several Sony-owned shows we otherwise wouldn't see, and indeed in many cases have not for long time.  Was it perfect?  Nope, but given the circumstances I can say it worked. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TimK2003

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2022, 07:08:57 PM »
I was on the "LeVar for Jeopardy" train for a long while...until actually seeing him host it.
Much further back, I thought I'd really dislike George Gray taking on Weakest Link. I greatly enjoyed his version much more than Anne's, and still think it's superior.

You know, originally I thought of George Gray as being a flash in the pan after seeing his performance in Extreme Gong (and if you really want to see him before he was famous, YouTube up the movie "Dish Dogs"), but he redeemed himself on The Weakest Link, and he does a darn good job as the TPIR announcer.

I'd love to see George HOST a TPIR Live show or another game show down the road.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2022, 07:31:14 PM »
Oh!  Seeing as I was partially responsible for the nickname...

"The time without most of the Goodson-Todman shows was GSN's 'dark period'..."

No.  We now see we could and did have it a lot worse.  Late 1997-98 at least gave us several Sony-owned shows we otherwise wouldn't see, and indeed in many cases have not for long time.  Was it perfect?  Nope, but given the circumstances I can say it worked.

Certainly with hindsight the "Dark Period" was helpful in giving us the one complete pass at "Go!", plus what we got "Break The Bank" and most of 20K Pyramid for 1978.    The sense of Darkness was if the Goodson library had disappeared from us forever before a lot of us, who'd taken it for granted, had a chance to get the whole runs of the classic shows preserved.    Obviously our faith was rewarded on that point eventually and I am grateful for the fact that most of us did have the sense to tape the goodies that were unique to the "Dark Period" in full pretty much.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2022, 11:23:53 PM »
I guess mine would be that networks kept copies of everything they ever aired in their warehouses, and that copies of every game show ever aired existed in those storage areas. This was quite a long time ago.  At the time I never thought about the logistics of it, like how much space it would take. I just assumed that networks would want to keep copies of everything for historical purposes.

Needless to say, once I started finding out how much was gone and that we'd never see again, I was really shocked.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2022, 07:11:38 PM »
I thought that following the name change to GSN they would end up mutating into a whole other network at some point ala TLC. Glad to have been wrong there.

Every few years since the mid 2000s I’ve said “there’s no way that Pat and Vanna renew this time”. Oh well. Guess I’ll be a broken clock on this one.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Stackertosh

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2022, 07:42:40 PM »
Family Feud i thought the show would've been done when John O'hurley left.

The Price is Right i thought no matter who hosted the show the show was going to end after a few seasons. Drew in the beginning look like he was bored with the show. I think when Roger left and George became announcer it gave Drew more freedom to be Drew.

Bill Rafferty version of Card Sharks would be around longer than it was. I thought he did a better job hosting the show then Bob Eubanks.

I wasn't surprised Millionaire Reboot was short lived. I thought Kimmel wasn't the right fit to host the show and i wish the show returned to its roots with fastest finger and civilian contestants.

Stackertosh

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2022, 07:49:44 PM »
I actually thought Temptation was a solid revival with a bright future during the first couple weeks. That same season I also thought Merv Griffin's Crosswords was on its way to being another classic for Merv's company...

I thought Rossi wasn't a bad host. I wasn't a fan of the format change they should've used the Australian format and the QVC segment didn't help.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2022, 08:55:59 PM »
Rossi was a good host for Temptation. The problem was that there wasn't a lot to the game.

I could deal with the shop clock thing (I actually liked that), and the Fame Game format didn't really bother me. The problem was the structure of the show was not particularly good. Overly relying on speed rounds was a big distraction and of course the home shopping element was a stupid idea.

Back to topic, I also thought ESPN Trivial Pursuit was a worthwhile effort.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2022, 12:14:35 AM »
Rossi was a decent host and I wouldn’t mind seeing him get another show. I think he’d fit in well on GSN. The show itself completely neutered what made the show work with Jim Perry and overseas.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2022, 12:57:33 AM »
When I first saw the promos, I thought The Masked Singer would flop and be regarded as a colossal failure for FOX.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983