Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What were your "aged like milk" GS opinions?  (Read 4865 times)

SamJ93

What were your "aged like milk" GS opinions?
« on: October 23, 2022, 05:31:50 AM »
Whether it's a show you thought would fizzle that wound up becoming a hit or vice versa, we've all had takes on game shows that ended up being completely wrong. What are yours?

I for one believed that TPiR would last just a few more seasons after Bob left. It's crazy to realize that Drew has now been hosting for nearly half as long as he did.

I also once thought that, for all the flak he got, Mike Richards would do a decent job as J!/WoF producer, especially considering that he was starting out under some pretty difficult circumstances. I clearly have a blindspot for manipulative people.

It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Unrealtor

Re: What were your "aged like milk" GS opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 12:37:12 PM »
I also once thought that, for all the flak he got, Mike Richards would do a decent job as J!/WoF producer, especially considering that he was starting out under some pretty difficult circumstances. I clearly have a blindspot for manipulative people.

He's a good producer from the perspective of teh show and a passable host. He's just awful in other ways that got him kicked to the curb.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 01:17:46 PM »
I for one believed that TPiR would last just a few more seasons after Bob left. It's crazy to realize that Drew has now been hosting for nearly half as long as he did.
I think if Roger had remained producer, it likely would've ended.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 02:11:08 PM »
I actually thought Temptation was a solid revival with a bright future during the first couple weeks. That same season I also thought Merv Griffin's Crosswords was on its way to being another classic for Merv's company...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 02:40:42 PM »
I thought that Richard Karn would spell the death knell for Family Feud, as the late Louie Anderson did.

I also thought that the removal of the winnings limit from Jeopardy would backfire and it really didn’t.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 02:41:40 PM »
Shortly after James Holzhauer finished his initial run on Jeopardy, someone immediately suggested a grudge match between him, Ken, and Brad. Since the All-Star tournament had just happened, I said this was a bad idea. Of course the GOAT Tournament wound up being one of the highlights of the show's history.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 03:59:07 PM »
My iPad wallpaper is a J! clue about the final play of SB 49, so I’m willing to give people a wide berth in terms of “I thought it had legs!” or thinking LMAD is awful with Wayne Brady starting at host and it is creeping up on a 15th anniversary.

This is a long way to say stakes are low for average casual viewers, and that’s fine by me.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 12:42:41 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Hastin

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 04:34:52 PM »
I really thought the YouTube Clip making era of Family Feud wouldn't last more than a few years, but Steve has been hosting for nearly 12 years now and that's schlonger than I expected.

I really thought modern audiences wouldn't care for Pyramid (so many one or two season reboots), but it's been running for 6 years now.

I thought for sure that the Millionaire reboot would do well enough for a third season. Maybe COVID and celebrities killed it, but it's been interesting to see international reboots spread like wildfire and the US reboot just whimper.

Ditto on Drew and Price.
-Hastin :)

SamJ93

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 06:46:13 PM »
I thought for sure that the Millionaire reboot would do well enough for a third season. Maybe COVID and celebrities killed it, but it's been interesting to see international reboots spread like wildfire and the US reboot just whimper.

Same with the other ABC reboots that met their end within the past year--CS, MG, Supermarket Sweep. None of them exactly set the world on fire--and in MG's case, TPTB would have had to find a new host--but in terms of cheap-to-produce schedule-filler, I thought they had legs for at least one more season.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 08:36:56 PM »
Thought The Final Straw would be
a good concept. It worked on the Illinois Lottery Show.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kniwt

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 09:55:11 PM »
Back in 2009  (holy f*****' s***), on this very forum, I gave a lukewarm-at-best raspberry to The Cube S01E01, declaring it "not appointment viewing."

Rarely have I been so wrong. I'll hang up on myself now.

BillCullen1

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 10:36:19 PM »
I thought Rafferty's Blockbusters would be around longer than it was. It lasted 17 weeks.

Same with Chuck Henry's Now You See It. I thought the revised scoring and the computer graphics made the game better.

I'm a little surprised that Drew has stayed with TPIR as long as he has, considering he turned the job down when it was first offered to him. But no doubt CBS is happy they don't have to do auditions for a new host.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 11:21:00 PM »
I watched the first episode of Millionaire, and said, “Well, that’ll never last.”

(Not too long after, though, my reaction to the first episode of “Survivor” was, “This is not for me, but it’ll probably be a hit.”)
czambo@mac.com

beatlefreak84

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 12:01:52 AM »
I thought Deal or No Deal was only going to be a one-time curiosity (I actually posted here that I thought it would only get 5 episodes) since I didn't see much substance to the game...little did I know the show would get years on NBC and in syndication!

My biggest one was that Drew would only do Price for maybe 1-3 years and then either get bored and want to go back into comedy or do another sitcom, so the fact that he's still doing it after 15+ years is pretty impressive.

And, lastly, a more recent one:  I thought the ABC revival of PYL, even though PYL is my favorite game show, would only get maybe 1-2 seasons at best because the nostalgia factor would wear off after a few weeks.  Yet, it's still going strong and is one of the top game show performers for ABC.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 02:46:37 PM »
I was on the "LeVar for Jeopardy" train for a long while...until actually seeing him host it.
Much further back, I thought I'd really dislike George Gray taking on Weakest Link. I greatly enjoyed his version much more than Anne's, and still think it's superior.