Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "The little things" you miss on shows  (Read 10649 times)

SuperMatch93

Re: "The little things" you miss on shows
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2022, 02:15:35 PM »
That one Family Dollar-sponsored show from a few years back (Save to Win, I think it was called?) used eggcrate scoring for the contestant readouts.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2022, 02:24:56 PM »
I'm surprised not too many shows haven't tried to replicate the look of eggcrates or vanes, but using the monitors. Outside of Contestants Row...

For what it's worth, this is also the case with Any Number.  The 1s give it away -- they're centered instead of right-justified.

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 04:20:23 PM »
Weekday syndicated shows with celebrities that remained on the show for the entire week!

Not sure if Donnymid was the first to start this change of course, or if it went as far back as David Sparks' Cross Wits.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 08:57:32 PM »
Not sure if Donnymid was the first to start this change of course, or if it went as far back as David Sparks' Cross Wits.

Something I caught when GSN reran the show in the late 2000s (and an episode guide absolutely refreshed my memory): A LOT of "weeks" are only three shows long. I'm guessing like Wheel they were taping six shows a day in a 3/3 split with a celeb refresh during the break (and between shows during theme weeks or sometimes just because). Even the Dick Clark "week" only had three, with a different partner each show, same for the tournaments being fixed to a three day stunt.  This is true for almost every taping with very few exceptions (an early week with Kathy Najimy/Ed Begley Jr did 4 shows)

SuperSweeper

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2022, 11:26:15 AM »
Forgot one…I miss seeing shows airing in order, and the host welcoming you to a new show or telling you to tune in tomorrow/Monday for the next exciting episode. You get to see the kinks ironed out in real time. With the exception of the season premiere, most shows air in whatever order so that we see a big win first.

I agree on that one too.  Problem is that - outside of Jeopardy - I can't think of another show that has returning champions, which makes it easy not to air them in taping order.  Sometimes I can't figure out how they decide which order to run them in.  If there are big wins, they can "strategically" place them, but what about typical generic show x vs show y where nothing special happens - sometimes we've seen by episode numbers that those run out of order too, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Another thing I miss are the eggcrate scoreboards that so many shows used.  There's just a certain charm about them.

Family Feud and Master Minds also have returning champions, though they are rare on the latter.

aaron sica

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2022, 03:00:29 PM »
I feel like I mentioned it somewhere around here already, but the shot on Wheel of Fortune at the end, zooming out with the host and hostess in the center of the wheel waving/saying goodbye.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2022, 04:18:45 PM »
I miss Wheel of Fortune having a looser wheel. A little more give heightens the anticipation of a game changing space approaching arrow. Now it feels like no spin lasts longer than three seconds. I don’t need it to spin forever like Australia’s wheel, but let the wheel be a wheel for a reason.

Moving set pieces revealing the bonus round.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2022, 04:08:58 PM »
From a host/production standpoint: the tosses to breaks.

Back in the day, hosts would tells us what’s coming up next on the other side of the commercial, or give a little joke or anecdote before the standard “We’ll be right back.” To be fair, I’m speaking more on the bigger shows, and I’m sure not every show does it, but two immediately come to mind.

Every toss to break, with maybe the exception of the very last one, Wayne or Drew simply says “More ‘Let’s Make a Deal/The Price is Right’ right after this!” I know what show I’m watching; a simple look at the set or press of the info button on my remote gives me an indication of which show it is. Just tell me what to expect; I like when I hear something along the lines of “We’re gonna give someone a chance to win thousands of dollars right after this” (Wayne used to do this in the early days of his LMAD run), or “We’re gonna see if we can get another winner right after this” (at least Drew mentions when we’ve reached the Showcase Showdowns or the Showcases themselves). The hosts should have a little fun with it before going to break. I wonder if that has to do with saving time.

Difficulty-based rewards: this is just a quirk of mine, but I miss when (for the most part) major expensive prizes were won by accomplishing seemingly difficult feats. For example, winning games while accumulating $750 or more or putting the 10 major prizes on the line to play the optional 11th game for $50,000 or more on $ale of the Century (depending on which version of the show the champion is playing at the time). Adding a car to the litany of prizes for reaching major championship milestones (any long-running B&E production or Jeopardy for a while). Playing Pay the Rent on a day when the producers don’t feel like tempering the difficulty. Answering 15 questions of increasing difficulty to win $1 million.

I bring that part up because that seems to be the go-to prize when trying to get viewers to tune in, but the luster is LONG gone because the difficulty to win said prize varies wildly from show to show (or in TPIR’s case, day to day). For me, there’s no fun in seeing one contestant play for that prize by simply playing Grand Game with extra zeroes, while seeing another play for the prize on the next show by playing something completely luck based (Plinko).

I just liked shows with hosts keeping the pace in check while seeing logical progression in prizes offered/won. That’s just me.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2022, 04:44:35 PM »
That's when we had skilled broadcasters doing shows.  Comedians can't do that.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2022, 07:19:43 PM »
That's when we had skilled broadcasters doing shows.  Comedians can't do that.

Fair point. I am not the biggest proponent for comedians as hosts for this reason (Family Feud being the obvious exception).

I would think Carey and Brady having improvisational skills would give them a leg up (and in some instances, they do), but alas…

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

tvwxman

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2022, 08:51:08 PM »

Every toss to break, with maybe the exception of the very last one, Wayne or Drew simply says “More ‘Let’s Make a Deal/The Price is Right’ right after this!” I know what show I’m watching; a simple look at the set or press of the info button on my remote gives me an indication of which show it is. Just tell me what to expect; I like when I hear something along the lines of “We’re gonna give someone a chance to win thousands of dollars right after this” (Wayne used to do this in the early days of his LMAD run), or “We’re gonna see if we can get another winner right after this” (at least Drew mentions when we’ve reached the Showcase Showdowns or the Showcases themselves). The hosts should have a little fun with it before going to break. I wonder if that has to do with saving time.

An EXCELLENT point. And one I incorporate into my 5 (!) hours of daily morning programming.

My General Manager called me on it a few weeks ago - said he was impressed that i was able to incorporate tease subjects into my tosses to break so fluently. I attribute that to A: Paying Attention, B: Lots of experience doing radio (and hitting marks for songs), and C: watching game show hosts do it with ease.

It's not much, and lord knows it's not something they teach in Weather or Broadcasting or Journalism school. But you know what? It's an old-school throwback, and it makes this broadcaster stand out 'that' much more ........ and I certainly don't mind that!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Stackertosh

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2022, 05:24:42 PM »
Hosts who are not actors or stand-up comics. During the old days you could get a good comic or actor as a host. Nowadays they want a big name to host the show and you can tell they are just there for a check.

Regular everyday contestants  instead of caffeine-hyped wannabe out of work tiktok actors. Family Feud started the "You are going to be on youtube moment"

Live to tape shows. I miss when moments would happen or when a new show begins and it starts out awkward until they find their groove.

gamed121683

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2022, 05:19:08 AM »
I’m sure most of you have seen this already, but as the kids would say it, Ken Jennings has joined the chat.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1064008/jeopardy-ken-jennings-reveals-what-he-misses-about-show/

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2022, 09:56:07 AM »
I’m sure most of you have seen this already, but as the kids would say it, Ken Jennings has joined the chat.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1064008/jeopardy-ken-jennings-reveals-what-he-misses-about-show/

Without spoiling what details he mentioned, I agree.

/and I agree with one of the Twitter followers re. the audience shot in the intro
//but that shot is pretty cool

BrandonFG

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2022, 11:24:43 AM »
I agree with some people who miss the set turning red for Double J! It’s nice that they do it for Final but it’s not quite the same.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!