Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy's "new" running a category bonus  (Read 2499 times)

That Don Guy

Jeopardy's "new" running a category bonus
« on: September 27, 2022, 07:24:40 PM »
There are reports that Jeopardy's executive producer wants to add a cash bonus of some sort to anyone who runs a category. It's not clear if (a) the answers have to be selected in order from top to bottom, although he did say that they needed to be consecutive, and (b) whether or not the money is included in the player's score, which I doubt.

I use "new" in quotes because the old weekly 1970s Fleming syndicated version had this; the first person to "correctly question all five answers" in a category won a prize. At first, it was a Chevy Vega; later, it became a trip to London with tickets to one or more West End shows.

SuperMatch93

Re: Jeopardy's "new" running a category bonus
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 07:34:30 PM »
I use "new" in quotes because the old weekly 1970s Fleming syndicated version had this; the first person to "correctly question all five answers" in a category won a prize. At first, it was a Chevy Vega; later, it became a trip to London with tickets to one or more West End shows.

For a time, the daytime show also had a run-the-category-down bonus; I believe it started at $500 and increased by that much per day until someone won it.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

jage

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 07:37:23 PM »
Does Jeopardy need this? Probably not. Will it hurt the game in the end? Also probably not.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 07:45:03 PM »
If the bonus only counts if the clues are selected consecutively, could this be a subtle way of discouraging the Forrest Bounce that's become so popular among bigger champions?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 07:46:28 PM »
I don’t like this.

Just doesn’t feel right, and I didn’t really like the rule when I first heard it being employed on the syndicated original series either. Just feels like a tack on for the sake of said tack on.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2022, 08:14:23 PM »
BTW most stories quote the producer that would only be a bonus and NOT count to the score.

colonial

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 08:19:03 PM »

I know the CNN morning show is a lame duck, but wasting three minutes of airtime on this???

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 09:18:34 PM »
I am more amazed Austin still has the energy to do New Day considering how his weekend was.

Would that I can do what he does at the pace he does.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 09:29:16 PM »
While I don’t think J! needs a gimmick like this one I don’t mind it either, esp. if it’s treated as a bonus. Gives a little incentive to a player who faces someone like Matt or Amy, and gives them a chance to take home something more than the $1/2K.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »
Gives a little incentive to a player who faces someone like Matt or Amy, and gives them a chance to take home something more than the $1/2K.

You're not the only one who takes that stance, but I'm more than a little curious how often someone runs a category and then loses the game.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 12:18:11 PM »
Gives a little incentive to a player who faces someone like Matt or Amy, and gives them a chance to take home something more than the $1/2K.

You're not the only one who takes that stance, but I'm more than a little curious how often someone runs a category and then loses the game.
Sounds like a potential stat for the analytics team. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2022, 07:52:34 PM »
One of my points of pride is that I ran a category against Ken Jennings.

I am all for this rule change if it is retroactive.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2022, 10:04:39 PM »
Guessing it was either Precscription Drugs; Insect, Arachnid or Gastropod or maybe Musical Settings.

/ do we know if there is jus one prize like the singleton bonus or can several people win more than one each?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 02:39:43 PM »
/ do we know if there is jus one prize like the singleton bonus or can several people win more than one each?

Gotta think it's "first to the post" or else it would bog down the show writ large if they paused the game every time someone did it to award them a toaster or whatever. Just make it a fun little race to spice up the first round, more often than not someone will do it there, they get their prize, we play on.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe