Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Goes Dark On Dish Amid Carriage Dispute  (Read 5059 times)

Kniwt

GSN Goes Dark On Dish Amid Carriage Dispute
« on: September 08, 2022, 02:52:53 PM »
https://deadline.com/2022/09/game-show-network-dark-dish-carriage-dispute-1235109788/

Sony Pictures TV-owned Game Show Network is no longer available on Dish after the two companies could not reach a new carriage agreement following eight months of negotiations.

As is the case in virtually any carriage dispute, the two parties issued dueling statements highlighting their position in the standoff and pointing fingers at the other side, with Dish claiming that their “goal and priority is to reach a fair agreement to bring this channel back as quickly as possible.”

Jimmy Owen

Re: GSN Goes Dark On Dish Amid Carriage Dispute
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 03:13:54 PM »
Too bad but family feud can be seen on other outlets
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 10:52:34 AM »

You're not wrong. :)

GSN was the reason that I *got* what was then known as DISH Network back in '96. Aside from a C-Band dish, if you didn't have the station on your cable (I would imagine very few did then), it was the only way to view live GSN.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 12:52:50 PM »
Dish Network is holding their customers hostage in a carriage dispute? The hell you say.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 04:48:22 PM »
Aside from a C-Band dish, if you didn't have the station on your cable (I would imagine very few did then), it was the only way to view live GSN.

I got a C-band dish in the early '90s mainly to view GSN.  In fact, I still have it in my backyard, but haven't used it in quite a while and most of the major channels moved to digital quite a while ago.  I guess I should really have it taken down :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 09:25:07 PM »

You're not wrong. :)

GSN was the reason that I *got* what was then known as DISH Network back in '96. Aside from a C-Band dish, if you didn't have the station on your cable (I would imagine very few did then), it was the only way to view live GSN.

Actually, there was Primestar (pre-cursor to DirecTV???) as well that carried GSN from the beginning, or darn close to it.  I had a co-worker at the time who had Primestar and I gave them 4 blank VHS tapes and told them to "just hit record".  Oddly enough, I wound up getting a a good chunk of GSN's 2nd Anniversary festivities, which counted down the top 25 Goodson-Todman shows.

trainman

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 10:55:00 PM »
Actually, there was Primestar (pre-cursor to DirecTV???) as well that carried GSN from the beginning, or darn close to it.

Primestar was a competitor to DirecTV and Dish, which used a larger dish that was almost always ground-mounted. They went out of business in the late 1990s and sold their assets to DirecTV (and all their customers eventually got switched over to the DirecTV platform).

If I recall correctly, the first multisystem cable operator of any size that made a deal to carry GSN was Marcus Cable (now part of Charter/Spectrum), and then GSN made it to TCI's initial digital cable lineup when they rolled out that technology circa 1998.
trainman is a man of trains

JMFabiano

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 12:47:06 PM »

I laughed.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.