Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Alcohol as a Prize  (Read 7229 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Alcohol as a Prize
« on: September 08, 2022, 01:04:57 PM »
I was watching an episode of LMaD from 1985.  A bottle of champagne was presented, but Monty stated they couldn’t award it as a prize, so they got a cash equivalent.  I know they gave away some kind of malt liquor at one point.  Was this indeed some kind of law?  If so, is said law still in place?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 12:30:01 AM by Dbacksfan12 »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

carlisle96

Re: Alcohol as a Prize
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 01:58:03 PM »
I was watching an episode of LMaD from 1985.  A bottle of champagne was presented, but Monty stayed they couldn’t award it as a prize, so they got a cash equivalent.  I know they gave away some kind of malt liquor at one point.  Was this indeed some kind of law?  If so, is said law still in place?

Anybody familiar with Charles Sopkin's 1967 "Seven Glorious Days, Seven Fun-Filled Nights?" It's a not-very-flattering look at a week of network TV in April, 1967. According to Sopkin, cases of champagne were given to runners-up on Dennis James' "PDQ." A rather strange consolation prize.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 02:00:39 PM »
I think it varies by state. Here in Texas for example, awarding alcohol as a prize in contests / sweepstakes would be a violation of the Alcoholic Beverage Code. Perhaps there's something similar enacted in California.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 02:05:15 PM »
The law must have changed at some point, because I've seen Riunite offered as a consolation prize. I want to say that would have been in the mid 80s, but I can't recall which show.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 02:15:10 PM »
The law must have changed at some point, because I've seen Riunite offered as a consolation prize. I want to say that would have been in the mid 80s, but I can't recall which show.
Wheel. I distinctly remember Jack Clark saying “Riunite on ice. That’s nice.”

There was also Champale.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

narzo

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 02:24:35 PM »
Mogen-David wine was a common parting gift in the early 1970s.  If you've ever had it ($4 at HEB in Texas), you'll appreciate what a "prize" is was. 

SuperMatch93

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 04:46:48 PM »
Mogen-David wine was a common parting gift in the early 1970s.  If you've ever had it ($4 at HEB in Texas), you'll appreciate what a "prize" is was.

And boy, what a thrill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDD8NYGen1I
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

trainman

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 01:37:55 AM »

Did they actually get Riunite, or was it "a cooler from Riunite" or something along those lines?

It seems like giving away actual alcohol would be more trouble than it was worth. Can't do it if a contestant is under 21. Could be very problematic to do it if a contestant lives in another state. (If they were actually going to ship it to contestants' homes -- well, there are certain states you can't ship alcohol to at all, and there are other states where you have to get a third-party distributor involved. If they were going to give the contestants coupons for free Riunite -- well, there are certain states where you can't use coupons on alcohol.)
trainman is a man of trains

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2022, 01:26:29 PM »
Jack simply said “Some of our contestant will receive…Riunite…” then explains why it’s nice on ice.

https://youtu.be/KyP_ZZkHvcc (0:37)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mr. Matté

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 05:21:51 PM »
All I can think of is the canned wine given as a prize on Namedroppers:

https://youtu.be/tsnFJbld9uQ?t=347

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2022, 09:17:13 PM »
I swear at there was at least one game show in the 80s that incorporated 10-15 second video "commercials" (like Mr. Plumber, Underalls, etc...) into their promotional consideration spots promoting an alcoholic beverage of some sort as well.

Could've been Riunite.

mystery7

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2022, 02:08:22 PM »
Yep. The Barry & Enright shows I think were the ones that started that mini-commercial trend around '81 or '82. And one of the mini-commercials that I remember was indeed for Riunite.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2022, 06:49:45 PM »
I remember wine being one of the prizes in a Secret Square package on a syndicated HSQ circa 1976.

That Don Guy

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2022, 07:09:21 PM »
I was watching an episode of LMaD from 1985.  A bottle of champagne was presented, but Monty stated they couldn’t award it as a prize, so they got a cash equivalent.  I know they gave away some kind of malt liquor at one point.  Was this indeed some kind of law?  If so, is said law still in place?

The closest I can come to an answer on this, at least in California is, in the 1970s (and I think the 1980s as well), San Francisco's PBS station had an annual auction where one of the rules was, "All beer and wine must be sold at retail price or above," so I am guessing there was some California Alcoholic Beverage Control Board regulation against it. When a station up near the Sonoma Wine Valley had its annual auction in the 2000s, there was no such restriction.

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2022, 05:23:04 PM »
I remember wine being one of the prizes in a Secret Square package on a syndicated HSQ circa 1976.

I bet the stars were pissed if it came from their allotment.

I'm positive Monty gave away pink Champale at some point.

I'm pretty sure British games gave away champagne or whatnot. They even offered it on $ale of the Century, at sale prices, natch.