Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Clue Crew (2001-2022)  (Read 1516 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Clue Crew (2001-2022)
« on: August 30, 2022, 02:10:41 PM »
Jeopardy officially announced this month that the Clue Crew is no more. Both Sarah and Jimmy have moved into production positions.

While I wasn't a fan at first (at the tender age of 14), I thought they were a great addition to add more variety to the clues. While I'm sure it's not exactly cost prohibitive to go to Egypt to film several clues, it really grew on me.

Honestly, the Clue Crew could be a great social add for the show in 2023, especially if you recast with all age demos in mind.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SamJ93

Re: Clue Crew (2001-2022)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 06:05:05 AM »
Did the Crew actually tape all their clues on location? I got the impression that at least some of them were green-screened, especially in recent years.

If they really wanted to, they could have Ken present some clues during Mayim's episodes and vice versa.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 07:41:28 AM »
Many many years ago (I want to say 2004 or 5) - they had a search for a few new Clue Crew'ers. I made it to the end of the NY search (can't remember, final 10 or 20) - but didn't get called to LA.

I was legit crushed....but with my first child born 18 months later, i'm not sure what good I would have been flying all around the world.

Still, though, I absolutely would have loved to find out :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

colonial

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 02:43:45 PM »
Admittedly, the Clue Crew has been a bit of an afterthought in recent years. And whenever a CC member left or didn't have their contract renewed the last couple of years, they weren't replaced. The writing seemed to be on the wall.

It also became commonplace (at least from my viewings) to see Clue Crew-centric categories (or anything featuring video clues with a special guest reader) being used as "time killers" by a player in the lead, or held off until the last category. I can see Davies trying to fix the video clue concept and presentation -- perhaps limit the amount of video clues per category to 1-2, and spread such clues on a more regular basis to multiple categories in a round?

If you want to do a video category on, say, New Orleans, it's likely a lot cheaper to have the clues produced and presented by the New Orleans J! affiliate instead of having the show send a Clue Crew team to the city (or even recording a clue with a CC member and a monitor/prop/etc. at Sony).

Maybe it's me, but I was a little disappointed that the former CC members weren't mentioned by name in the show's article/press release. Given the uniqueness of the job and the fact only six people can lay claim to holding said position, it would have been nice to have mentioned Sofia, Jon, Cheryl and Kelly by name (unless there's some behind-the-curtain issue we don't know about).

JD

nowhammies10

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 03:22:46 PM »
As a corollary, Kelly Miyahara (former Clue Crew member and Sports J! announcer) appeared this season as a contestant on Weakest Link.