Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC production schedule in Burbank & Hollywood, summer 1958  (Read 2873 times)

thomas_meighan

NBC production schedule in Burbank & Hollywood, summer 1958
« on: August 21, 2022, 09:20:59 PM »
Here's an eBay auction for a list of NBC West Coast programs that had studio audience tickets available in the summer of 1958:
https://tinyurl.com/2p8962x8

Based on the times (allowing for the three-hour difference between broadcast times in the east and staging times in the west), it appears that "It Could Be You" and "Queen for a Day" were on a mixed schedule of live and pre-recorded episodes. "The Big Game" seems to have been live; "Truth or Consequences" seems to have been pre-recorded at this point.

It might be a worthwhile addition to the Archive section.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: NBC production schedule in Burbank & Hollywood, summer 1958
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 09:48:06 PM »
Funny, I don't see This Is Your Life on the schedule.

carlisle96

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 12:58:47 PM »
Funny, I don't see This Is Your Life on the schedule.

Or Groucho and People Are Funny. All were in "best of" summer reruns, I suspect

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 06:49:46 PM »
"People Are Funny" was done on film at the La Mirada Theater at 1228 N. Vine Street by Isidore Lindenbaum's Filmcraft, so it didn't use NBC facilities.

Maybe YBYL was treated differently because it wasn't live and also used Lindenbaum's Filmcraft?

carlisle96

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 01:48:48 PM »
"People Are Funny" was done on film at the La Mirada Theater at 1228 N. Vine Street by Isidore Lindenbaum's Filmcraft, so it didn't use NBC facilities.

Maybe YBYL was treated differently because it wasn't live and also used Lindenbaum's Filmcraft?

I'm pretty sure YBYL was done at the NBC Hollywood studios. A former work colleague said he went to a filming when he was walking near Sunset and Vine and a page was outside rounding up people for the audience. But even if People are Funny was done at a different theater, I'm sure the audience needed to go to NBC for tickets.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 03:33:49 PM »
There were two NBC Hollywood studios: one at Sunset & Vine and one at Vine & Yucca, known as the "El Capitan". The latter was converted to TV circa 1950 and was home to This Is Your Life and I think the early days of Truth or Consequences before it moved to Burbank.

carlisle96

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 05:43:11 PM »
There were two NBC Hollywood studios: one at Sunset & Vine and one at Vine & Yucca, known as the "El Capitan". The latter was converted to TV circa 1950 and was home to This Is Your Life and I think the early days of Truth or Consequences before it moved to Burbank.
and if I'm not mistaken, the El Capitan later became ABC's Hollywood Palace

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 01:32:26 PM »
and if I'm not mistaken, the El Capitan later became ABC's Hollywood Palace

It also housed Milton Berle's ABC show and a disastrous show with Jerry Lewis which required hugely expensive upgrades. The Heatter-Quigley show "Temptation" was done there as was The Lawrence Welk Show.

Merv Griffin did his talk show there for a while before moving TAV to 1541 N. Vine St.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 01:44:39 PM »
For some reason I thought Jimmy Kimmel Live! tapes at El Capitan, but it looks like I'm off by a couple miles. Apparently Kimmel tapes at the Hollywood Masonic Temple, which Google says is about 10 minutes away.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 02:21:39 PM »
For some reason I thought Jimmy Kimmel Live! tapes at El Capitan, but it looks like I'm off by a couple miles. Apparently Kimmel tapes at the Hollywood Masonic Temple, which Google says is about 10 minutes away.
The original El Capitan, which is now a grandiose movie theater, is next door to the Hollywood Masonic Temple, which has been renamed the El Capitan Entertainment Center.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 03:01:05 PM »

Jimmy's theater is right in the touristy middle of the most touristy-tourist part of Hollywood there is to tourist.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 05:35:36 PM »
Jimmy's theater is right in the touristy middle of the most touristy-tourist part of Hollywood there is to tourist.

Near Milburn Stone's star on the Walk of Fame!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »
The original El Capitan, which is now a grandiose movie theater, is next door to the Hollywood Masonic Temple, which has been renamed the El Capitan Entertainment Center.

No, the original El Capitan is at 1735 N. Vine St., across Vine St. from Capitol Records, and is today the Avalon nightclub.

https://avalonhollywood.com/

The new El Capitan, where Jimmy Kimmel is taped, is at 6838 Hollywood Blvd.

1735 Vine had been renamed as The Hollywood Palace by ABC in the '60s so the "El Capitan" name was no longer in use. 6838 Hollywood Blvd. was acquired by Disney and others and was restored and renamed "El Capitan" circa 1989. As Disney owns both the El Capitan Theater and ABC, they figured it would be a logical venue for Jimmy Kimmel.

snowpeck

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 10:40:14 PM »

No, the original El Capitan is at 1735 N. Vine St., across Vine St. from Capitol Records, and is today the Avalon nightclub.

https://avalonhollywood.com/

The new El Capitan, where Jimmy Kimmel is taped, is at 6838 Hollywood Blvd.

1735 Vine had been renamed as The Hollywood Palace by ABC in the '60s so the "El Capitan" name was no longer in use. 6838 Hollywood Blvd. was acquired by Disney and others and was restored and renamed "El Capitan" circa 1989. As Disney owns both the El Capitan Theater and ABC, they figured it would be a logical venue for Jimmy Kimmel.
Ah, makes sense now.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Otm Shank

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 12:30:55 AM »

There is no better way to describe the location than this! Well done.