Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Des Chiffres et Des Lettres (Countdown FR) moved to weekends; hosts quit  (Read 1614 times)

Kniwt

Twitter thread (in English) here: https://twitter.com/TomHourigan/status/1560911702996258822

... Together, Bertrand and Arielle became part of French TV furniture - every weekday afternoon, they were there (Bertrand boasted he’d NEVER taken holiday or sick leave, fearing he’d be replaced).

All was well until last month, when France Télévisions - which broadcasts the show - announced it was being dropped from weekday afternoons, and would move to the weekends.

It turned out Bertrand and Arielle didn’t like that at all, and this week, they both quit.

The French media went crazy ... But it’s too late - their final episodes have been filmed and go out in early September.

Daytime TV in France will never be quite the same again…

SamJ93

Maybe it's just because I don't speak the language, but when I first caught a glimpse of Des Chiffres et Des Lettres I was shocked at just how dull the presentation was--not really surprising the audience for a daily broadcast was dwindling. The UK adding the giant clock, suspenseful think music and Carol really went a long way.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Jeremy Nelson

Maybe it's just because I don't speak the language, but when I first caught a glimpse of Des Chiffres et Des Lettres I was shocked at just how dull the presentation was--not really surprising the audience for a daily broadcast was dwindling. The UK adding the giant clock, suspenseful think music and Carol really went a long way.
Also to consider: the tastes of the two countries are very different, and I'm somewhat surprised that DCeDL lasted as long as it did in France. Maybe time will tell us that Bertrand and Arielle were the only thing keeping people watching the show.

I couldn't fathom seeing a show like Jeopardy or Price moving to only weekend shows; this move feels like a slow death cancellation; though if done right, this is the kind of show that could pick up a brand new audience via social media.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

mmb5

Interesting.  I am traveling to France in October and was hoping to see a taping.  They're still not sitting audiences yet.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.