Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aspects of The Price is Right that you miss  (Read 8416 times)

Kevin Prather

Re: Aspects of The Price is Right that you miss
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2022, 04:46:34 PM »
I've always been surprised they didn't go Shell Game with Bonus Game in the "Contestant gets them all right" scenario.

Count me as one who doesn't like the $500 option on Shell Game. When a player wins all four shells but doesn't win the $500, the game ends feeling like a loss.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2022, 04:57:22 PM »
I've always been surprised they didn't go Shell Game with Bonus Game in the "Contestant gets them all right" scenario.

Count me as one who doesn't like the $500 option on Shell Game. When a player wins all four shells but doesn't win the $500, the game ends feeling like a loss.

I agree; incidentally, for the past few years the bonus has been the cash equivalent of the prize on offer.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Neumms

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2022, 05:05:04 PM »
At what point in time would you say Bonus Game wasn't a rigged set-up? Because my observations lead me to believe that the producers have made it incredibly easy or incredibly difficult to win since day one.

Monitors would be easily changeable while the game is going on. Not that they would ever bother, it just looks dodgy. It's why Mark Goodson didn't let them put the Family Feud front-game on the Solari board. Making it easy or hard, yeah, they do that in lots of games.

When it comes down to it, there's not much reason to play any windows other than the one with the bonus. I've always wanted them to scrap it and play Shell Game instead, which fixed the problems.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2022, 07:16:51 PM »
I suppose the heavily practiced preternatural enthusiasm is here to stay, but I'd love to see the whole audience again. Just check for vaccinations at the door.

The primary purpose of the vaccine is to keep you from degrading to the point of requiring hospitalization, not to bring spread of the virus to a screeching halt. Filling that place up with hooting and hollering people again would be incredibly irresponsible at this point. If they were masked it MIGHT be ok, but as producer that's not the downer reminder I want to be pumping into people's homes every day.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Otm Shank

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2022, 12:08:08 AM »
This shouldn't bug me as much as it does, but I miss the days when contestants weren't directed to run over to their prizes every. single. time.

On one of the reruns, I heard Barker tell a player that they could not go see their prize, because S&P was worried that contestants would see something backstage. There must have been a change at some point before the introduction of Easy as 1-2-3, which is the only game at the time (if memory serves) where the contestant goes behind the doors, other than the showcase winner. But, I agree, the histrionics of celebrating with your prize (and the dopey license plate frame a car winner has to point to the camera) are just so forced and unnatural.

But, that's what they figure the audience wants, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2022, 01:33:52 PM »
At what point in time would you say Bonus Game wasn't a rigged set-up? Because my observations lead me to believe that the producers have made it incredibly easy or incredibly difficult to win since day one.

Monitors would be easily changeable while the game is going on. Not that they would ever bother, it just looks dodgy. It's why Mark Goodson didn't let them put the Family Feud front-game on the Solari board. Making it easy or hard, yeah, they do that in lots of games.

When it comes down to it, there's not much reason to play any windows other than the one with the bonus. I've always wanted them to scrap it and play Shell Game instead, which fixed the problems.
I'm all in favor of games where the monitors make sense from a display/efficiency perspective; it always seemed like Bonus Game, logistically, would have been one of the LAST games to need a monitor replacement. I'm not an expert on electronics, but it would seem that all Bonus Game used to require was a flip of a switch to illuminate the hidden windows.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TimK2003

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2022, 04:12:50 PM »

I'm all in favor of games where the monitors make sense from a display/efficiency perspective; it always seemed like Bonus Game, logistically, would have been one of the LAST games to need a monitor replacement. I'm not an expert on electronics, but it would seem that all Bonus Game used to require was a flip of a switch to illuminate the hidden windows.

If the BG board was getting outdated, how hard would it have been to just build a new board with LED-backlit static displays? It's gotta be cheaper than adding another high-tech monitor(s) for a game which only needs a quick reveal at the end. It's about as unnecessary as needing to upgrade Secret 'X' for a monitor(s) reveal.

As far as using monitors for games that *could* (NOT saying it's been done) be altered during gameplay, I am also in the boat of those who, in the back of their mind, think outcomes could be tinkered with.

I felt that way as far back as the Pat Finn-hosted Joker's Wild with the video displays...some of the spins didn't look or feel natural for a competitive game.

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2022, 04:41:49 PM »
Watching the Pluto episodes, I always loved the flipping messages that came on screen at the top of the show (“HOUR POWER”, “YOU’LL LOVE IT!”). It’s not the same with a smaller audience, but I’d love to see it return one day.

I dunno what it is, but I preferred when they’d come back for the Showcase reveal with no music or applause. Not because it feels forced or anything, but I felt it was more dramatic when Bob rattled off the first player’s bid as if it was a horse race (“Irene you bid $12,000 on your Showcase and Irene the ARP…”).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

dale_grass

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2022, 09:09:18 AM »
Monitors would be easily changeable while the game is going on. Not that they would ever bother, it just looks dodgy. It's why Mark Goodson didn't let them put the Family Feud front-game on the Solari board.

I wonder if that's *the* reason though--I figured it was pure aesthetics.  Given how slow answers are revealed during Fast Money, revealing an answer/points string that's at least twice as long would be painful to watch and potentially anticlimactic.  (I'm assuming they hit a software bottleneck and didn't intentionally update the board that slow.)

Neumms

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2022, 04:47:39 PM »
I wonder if that's *the* reason though--I figured it was pure aesthetics.

I want to say Randy West posted it on Facebook, but I could be wrong.