Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aspects of The Price is Right that you miss  (Read 8421 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Aspects of The Price is Right that you miss
« on: August 13, 2022, 03:03:47 AM »
Once upon a time, the hour long Price I believe ran for 44 or 45 minutes with the remainder of the time used for commercials and the 2 minutes at the end before leading up to the next program, whether it was Gambit or the local news or a soap opera.

This allowed for far more time for host-contestant interactions.  This also allowed for more involved pricing games to be played.

Now with the advent of Price running for just 37 or 38 minutes, there's far less interaction time, and far fewer involved games being played.

Often now, for the sake of time constraints, there are 3, sometimes even 4 "quicky" pricing games played out of 6.  My definition of a "quicky" game is a game that is not traditionally played for a car, and also a game that does not involve pricing of more than 1 small prize (e.g. Bonus Game, Cliff Hangers) and grocery item games. 

When a combo game is played, it usually requires one extra "quicky" game.  For example if Pathfinder or Hole in One are played, then a third quicky game was needed, and I was okay with that.

What else saddens me is usually when 3 to 4 quicky games are played, at least 2 of them are for just a single larger prize.  I do believe time constraints led to the unceremonious retirement of Credit Card, as that was a "quicky" game involving 5 prizes. 

Rarely if ever are overbids left in during the One Bid round.  There have been occasions where there were 2 or 3 overbids during the One Bid round, and that led to great humor at times.  I recall once after there were 3 overbids in a row, Bob asked the first bidder "What is the prize that we are bidding on?" and the player could not remember!  Time constraints now rarely if ever show more than 1 overbid.

I miss a lot of the classic music cues that were used during the Barker era, although I do understand that now that the show has been on 5 full decades, them wanting to have some more modern cues.  That was probably the only good thing about the '94 Doug Davidson version of "Price", getting some new and more modern music cues.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Aspects of The Price is Right that you miss
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 09:40:28 AM »
It’s ok to say that you prefer the show from the old days, Bill.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 06:21:13 PM »
To me, Quickie Games on TPIR are, more specifically, games where the contestant only gets to say +/- 5 words during their pricing game appearance (not counting any brief questions from Drew, if applicable).

More or less this is applicable to most of the One Right Price, Most/Least Expensive, Flip/Flop, etc... games.

At least the contestants usually get a second chance at uttering a sentence or two during the Showcase Showdown.

Meanwhile, that's one of the things I like about LMAD:  I'm not sure if the total run time has been pared down over the last 12+ years, but at least Wayne gives the contestants a chance to interact more on his show, which has basically remained the same since the Monty Hall days. Not having a required minimum amount of games, or contestants each episode helps as well.

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 07:06:33 PM »
Now with the advent of Price running for just 37 or 38 minutes, there's far less interaction time, and far fewer involved games being played.

Often now, for the sake of time constraints, there are 3, sometimes even 4 "quicky" pricing games played out of 6.  My definition of a "quicky" game is a game that is not traditionally played for a car, and also a game that does not involve pricing of more than 1 small prize (e.g. Bonus Game, Cliff Hangers) and grocery item games. 

If that's the case, it's amazing they still play 3 Strikes, since "this game takes forever" as Drew said when he first played it.

trainman

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 01:32:56 AM »
Once upon a time, the hour long Price I believe ran for 44 or 45 minutes with the remainder of the time used for commercials and the 2 minutes at the end before leading up to the next program, whether it was Gambit or the local news or a soap opera.

There is a specific name for this: "station break."
trainman is a man of trains

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 02:44:55 AM »
I miss business casual clothes. Now it's mostly T-shirts.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 07:27:23 AM »
After the 4th pricing game, I miss the shot of the audience and the announcer saying, "Stay tuned for more pricing games and the fabulous showcases (which are) coming up on the second half of 'The Price is Right'!" Now, it's just mentioned in passing by Drew.

daveromanjr

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 07:29:36 AM »
After the 4th pricing game, I miss the shot of the audience and the announcer saying, "Stay tuned for more pricing games and the fabulous showcases (which are) coming up on the second half of 'The Price is Right'!" Now, it's just mentioned in passing by Drew.
I was typing up a reply with this exact thing and saw you already had commented it.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 10:22:46 AM »
I was typing up a reply with this exact thing and saw you already had commented it.
Just to be clear, that was done away with years before Bob retired.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 11:08:45 AM »
Just to be clear, that was done away with years before Bob retired.

Sorry to give the impression that I was putting down the current version. I'm not one of "those people". :)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 08:43:12 PM »
A little thing, but I liked when the show would take a few beats after the fourth contestant was called down in the intro- the camera got a chance to settle on Contestants Row, the audience got to cheer, and we got a couple bars of the theme song before Bob/Drew was introduced. Now it feels like Contestant 4 and Drew get mentioned in the same breath.

I miss the musicality of the old prize cues. I don't necessarily need them back (except for Back to '72, where it should be a no-brainer), but I wish the show's cues were a little more memorable than the stock library we currently have.

While I don't miss Showcase skits, I always liked the when the showcases had some sort of through line between the prizes to make them feel like a curated collection.

Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 09:13:40 PM »
I’m with Aaron on the midshow break…that’s something that shows in general stopped doing outside of maybe the daytime soaps. I’m also with Jeremy on the music cues.

I don’t mind the audience levels, but I think the atmosphere was at its best in the 80s to the early-90s. Watching the Showcase Showdown, it’s relatively quiet as Bob converses with the spinner……..until the audience realizes the contestant is close to hitting a dollar. The buildup is so dramatic.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

mystery7

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 01:59:36 PM »
While I don't miss Showcase skits, I always liked the when the showcases had some sort of through line between the prizes to make them feel like a curated collection.
A little goes a long way with Showcases. We don't have to bring back the Jay Wolpert extravaganzas (not that there would be time for them anyway), but it would be nice to have a little more presentational pizazz than the cut-and-paste of "so it's this, this and this" every single time. At least run the elevator through the Price Is Right Department Store once in a while.

And color me weird, but I miss actual product plugs. A lot more generic prize copy written by the show since Dob & Co. left.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 07:26:13 PM »
Are they back to Contestant's Row and et. and al. or are they still doing the one-bids on stage and the socially-distant cabaret audience and so on?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 07:31:17 PM »
Yes back to contestants row but the audience is behind barriers in groups of three or less
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.