Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows Moving to Primetime Emmys  (Read 2508 times)

colonial

Game Shows Moving to Primetime Emmys
« on: August 10, 2022, 04:25:07 PM »
https://deadline.com/2022/08/game-shows-moving-to-primetime-emmys-competition-under-television-academy-1235089342/

Beginning in 2023, the game show categories long featured in the Daytime Emmys will now be awarded on the Primetime Emmys.

This is part of the initiative announced late last year to honor shows more on genre than daypart, given how viewers watch television has drastically changed in recent years given the rise of streaming.

Per Deadline, the "Outstanding Game Show" category for the Primetime Emmys will be for shows featuring "game elements that primarily take place in studio and involve mental challenges. They must be self-contained or carryover (winner continues to next episode) and cannot be arced."

The "Outstanding Host of a Game Show" will be awarded to "master of ceremony hosts for a continuing performance in a game show."

Game shows that solely feature children as contestants will only be eligible for the Children and Family Emmy Awards, while the Primetime Emmys will create an "Outstanding Reality Competition" category for shows like Amazing Race and Top Chef.

JD

Winkfan

Re: Game Shows Moving to Primetime Emmys
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 05:36:19 PM »
That's The End of the Daytime Emmys as we knew them.  >:(

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 05:49:14 PM »
Keep in mind it's still several dozen categories for the Daytime Emmys. I doubt getting rid of two game show awards is what's gonna kill the ceremony.

The move is interesting, but I've also never quite understood the rhyme or reason behind which shows get nominated for which ceremony.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 05:49:45 PM »

Cordially,
Tammy
Is it now.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 06:49:38 PM »

Strangely I feel fine.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 06:49:50 PM »
I'll be interested to see whether the trophies for the game show categories will be awarded during the main broadcast.

PYLdude

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 06:52:02 PM »
Keep in mind it's still several dozen categories for the Daytime Emmys. I doubt getting rid of two game show awards is what's gonna kill the ceremony.

The move is interesting, but I've also never quite understood the rhyme or reason behind which shows get nominated for which ceremony.

TBH I’m amazed that not only have the Daytime Emmys survived this long, but also that there are still a significant amount of categories for awards.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

mmb5

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 07:02:16 PM »
TBH I’m amazed that not only have the Daytime Emmys survived this long, but also that there are still a significant amount of categories for awards.
Outstanding Achievement In The Third Hour of Your Network's Morning Show
Outstanding Achievement In The Fourth Hour of Your Network's Morning Show
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 07:12:41 PM »
I think when Facebook's Red Table Talk got nominated, that showed just how far they're stretching. Days of Our Lives moving to Peacock prolly doesn't help, although I see no reason why it won't still be eligible for nominations. It'll be interesting to see if the ceremony makes it to the end of the decade.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 05:44:57 PM »
I think when Facebook's Red Table Talk got nominated

TIL that Facebook had a show called Red Table Talk.

/and then Will Smith slapped the s**t out of me
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 06:31:18 PM »
I think when Facebook's Red Table Talk got nominated

TIL that Facebook had a show called Red Table Talk.

/and then Will Smith slapped the s**t out of me

Well, that’s what you get for not keeping his wife’s show out ya effin post. 😁

That Don Guy

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2022, 11:27:56 AM »
I'll be interested to see whether the trophies for the game show categories will be awarded during the main broadcast.

Doubtful - they already have to juggle the variety show categories between the main and Guest Actors and Who Cares er, Creative Arts ceremonies to get the show to fit in something resembling three hours. If any categories were to be added to the main show, the guest acting ones probably would be first. Besides, the existing Reality-Competition Program category is already in Creative Arts.

According to this press release, the eligibility window for 2023 will be 1/1/2022 - 5/31/2023; presumably after that, the normal primetime eligibility window of 6/1-5/31 would apply.

Hmmm...the press release says that a "game show" consists of "game elements that primarily take place in-studio and involve mental challenges." I wonder how something like Beat the Clock or Minute to Win It - or, for that matter, The Gong Show - would be handled. Are they that much different from American Ninja Warrior or America's Got Talent, which almost certainly will remain as "Reality Competition Programs"?

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 09:21:36 PM »
Hmmm...the press release says that a "game show" consists of "game elements that primarily take place in-studio and involve mental challenges." I wonder how something like Beat the Clock or Minute to Win It - or, for that matter, The Gong Show - would be handled. Are they that much different from American Ninja Warrior or America's Got Talent, which almost certainly will remain as "Reality Competition Programs"?
I would argue that Beat the Clock and Minute to Win It feature a mental challenge in trying to figure out how to get yourself to do a particular task. You can be given directions, but you won't really know what adjustments you'll have to make until you think about it after the first time you try it. You could argue to the same for something like Ninja Warrior, but then Clock and Minute would qualify under the "in-studio" and "self-contained/carryover" requirement.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 10:08:16 PM »

While you quoted a sentence from the press release, it's the next sentence in the release that answers your question:

"They must be self-contained or carry-over (winner continues to next episode) and cannot be arced."

Both AGT and ANW are arced shows and will not qualify as game shows because of that.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."