Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Which do you prefer? (Inspired by another thread)  (Read 6403 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: Which do you prefer? (Inspired by another thread)
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2022, 05:55:16 PM »
Not that I wouldn't like a longer air time, but TPIR had quicker games since the get-go, even back when Bob had time to chat with players. The pace might lag without them.

Insofar as it counts for anything, this happens in fan-hosted games a lot. Free from the restrictions of a budget and timeslot, you often get a lot of the longer games together, and suddenly, I'm missing Most Expensive.

That said, I’m watching “Classic Concentration” on Buzzr and the Best-of-3 to play the Car Game is a bit of a slog to sit through.
I disagree - I didn't like the perpetual speed-up rounds to jam in a second car game.  Likewise with Scrabble - they overused Speedword when they moved to the self-contained eps. 
I think, with both shows when they were contained, Game 1 of an episode was the show in its natural state, followed by a turn in form so drastic that we got whiplash. Could that inconsistency in pace have been fixed by including a timer for Game 1, too?

Game 1 of Scrabble was played to its own timer. Most Crossword rounds in that era got to 3 words before the bell. I've long beat the drum that I prefer that to playing it out, since it puts more weight on solving the clues quickly over getting lucky draws with the tiles.

Classic Concentration's problem in the best-of-3 era, IMO, was the artificial stretching they always did in game 1, JUST in case either game was a quick solve, and/or the match was won in two-straight. When that resulted in the awkward combo of interrupting game 2 into the ring-in-only game 3, it felt like it was unfair to get there only by virtue of Alex conducting in-game interviews.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2022, 09:15:24 PM »
I’m starting to come around to Jason’s POV. I look to the 70s and the prime access shows-if you have to put a bow on the game every day then sure, play to time. If the show is on every day and you can have rollover games without it being too off-putting, then let the game breathe.

Remembering to when Scrabble had their thirteen week tournament, the show ended with a sprint winner moving to Friday and I imagine the crossword round could have the time taken by the bonus that wasn’t there. Perhaps playing the sprint in one segment would have helped.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2022, 05:12:16 PM »
Remembering to when Scrabble had their thirteen week tournament, the show ended with a sprint winner moving to Friday and I imagine the crossword round could have the time taken by the bonus that wasn’t there. Perhaps playing the sprint in one segment would have helped.

Scrabble's bonus round was also very short, too short in my opinion. 10 seconds is a mighty short amount of time for your once-a-day big finale.

If they brought Scrabble back, seems like they'd play only one crossword round, winner meets returning champ in the Sprint. If besides commercials, that allowed slightly more time for the crossword game, jackpot round or both, that could be a nice move.

Neumms

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2022, 05:13:08 PM »

Scrabble's bonus round was also very short, too short in my opinion. 10 seconds is a mighty short amount of time for your once-a-day big finale.

If they brought Scrabble back, seems like they'd play only one crossword round, winner meets returning champ in the Sprint. If besides commercials, that allowed slightly more time for the crossword game, jackpot round or both, that could be a nice move. Without returning champions, though, heaven only knows.