Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any updates on the Strong Museum's progress?  (Read 2474 times)

Bob Zager

Any updates on the Strong Museum's progress?
« on: June 27, 2022, 12:06:40 PM »
Been a little over a year since the initial announcement.  Wondered if any opening date plans?

BillCullen1

Re: Any updates on the Strong Museum's progress?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 12:19:09 PM »
Someone mentioned in the Games Collection thread in the Off Topic section that it will take a few years of collection and research before any game show exhibit is available to the public at the Strong Museum. The toy and game and video game exhibits are open. I plan on going up there this summer.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 06:28:50 PM »
Been a little over a year since the initial announcement.  Wondered if any opening date plans?
Not yet. It's a matter of raising money for the physical building of the wing. As of right now, some really neat stuff has already been shipped off to the museum, which has massive storage facilities, and everything that's been donated is safely tucked away and cared for, for now, while we hope for the money to come together for a grand opening.

There's also an online element of the museum that we began working on in October 2021, and I'm hoping it will be made available to the public in the next few weeks so I can stop being coy about it.

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 12:14:45 PM »
I booked the hotel and my Amtrak ticket. I will be going in late August. I'll be sure to ask questions about the game show exhibit and report back.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 03:08:02 PM »
There's also an online element of the museum that we began working on in October 2021, and I'm hoping it will be made available to the public in the next few weeks so I can stop being coy about it.

Let me add that as one of the few "outsiders" who knows what Adam is talking about, I'm amazed he's managed to be coy about it this long.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2022, 11:44:03 AM »
Just got back from Rochester NY. A very nice museum with two floors of stuff to look at and games to play. A dollar bill with get you four tokens to play arcade video games (oldies like Pac Man, Centipede and Tetris) and pinball games. A couple of the video games are free. There's also a section for comic books and Sesame Street. It's like reliving your childhood seeing all the toys and games you had and played. You can easily kill a few hours here. I highly recommend it.

The couple of employees I asked really could not tell me anything about the future game show exhibit, but we have a couple of posters here who will keep us informed.

carlisle96

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2022, 11:57:34 AM »
Just got back from Rochester NY. A very nice museum with two floors of stuff to look at and games to play. A dollar bill with get you four tokens to play arcade video games (oldies like Pac Man, Centipede and Tetris) and pinball games. A couple of the video games are free. There's also a section for comic books and Sesame Street. It's like reliving your childhood seeing all the toys and games you had and played. You can easily kill a few hours here. I highly recommend it.

The couple of employees I asked really could not tell me anything about the future game show exhibit, but we have a couple of posters here who will keep us informed.
I took my kids there about three years ago, pre-Covid. They enjoyed it, but not as much as I did.