Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New to Buzzr - Q3, 2022  (Read 29367 times)

tyshaun1

Re: New to Buzzr - Q3, 2022
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2022, 08:59:30 AM »
Looking at the schedule from a perspective of sheer utility, I wonder if they have more converted "new to Buzzr" episodes of these shows ready to go than the shows they're setting aside. Convert "new" episodes of other shows in the meantime, and work them back in while paring back some of the shows getting overkill at the outset.

Kinda my thought on this as well. I mean, they just finished a new (to them) block of PYL episodes, so it was more than likely going to be 6 months of episodes they've run multiple times anyway. The most surprising to me is that Narz Concentration leaves right as they start airing fresh shows, instead putting a ton more CC on the schedule. And Talk About and Whew! seem on their way out already, which is disappointing since they mentioned early in the year that Whew! was doing notably well for them. I have a feeling we'll be seeing changes to this not long after it starts and BUZZR has been exceptionally good at listening to its core audience.

JMFabiano

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2022, 11:05:09 AM »
And slightly tangential… while I personally never bought the idea that Sony was completely blocking WOF/J! reruns due to “no compete,” I do think it was true that they didn’t want reruns potentially running against new eps in the same time slot. Hence why WOF & J! reruns on GSN almost always aired only before 3PM or after 1AM. Though “no compete” may be becoming less of an issue even for Sony, considering WOF & J! are about to get their own 24/7 channels.

I kind of had the same idea about why no Family Feud in convenient hours of the day.  Since a Harvey episode is playing somewhere, sometime.  (Then again how do you explain GSN?)  That or the theories about Dawson with the ladies no longer being appropriate and all.  (once again, Then Again...why no Combs eps?)

Sale had just some syndies left before they went through everything available, no? 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2022, 11:13:08 AM »
The sense that I got when I first saw this was that it's a temporary stunt that'll likely end in the fall; go heavy on the top performers for the rest of summer, then lightly sprinkle back in other shows.
I also wouldn't doubt that they'll leverage all the iterations of Password to air a million promos for Jimmy Fallon's revival.
$ale was also pretty stale, it needed a break anyway. Disappointed that old school Concentration isn't part of it, but also not surprised that the broader audience clearly responds better to Alex's version. BUZZR's been treating us old-school fans pretty well, why not let 'em draw in their ratings for a bit.

JohnXXVII

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2022, 11:27:52 AM »
Hopefully this schedule is only temporary.

If they are going to go heavy on Password, it would be nice to see them trot out the black and white version.

If the black and white shows ever come back, maybe they could do a two hour block of Cullen Price Is Right on Saturdays, and a two hour block of Allen Ludden black and white Password for Sundays.

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »
If Super Password were newly converted, it would be listed as Super Password 86, for the 1986 shows. Instead, they are listing it as Super Password 85. They've shown all the 1985 shows, with a few skips here and there, over the last 6 years (!!!). A lot of what this schedule means is less variety and more repeats.

Super Password was on NBC for 4 and a half years. It took Buzzr 6 years to show just one calendar year of it. It boggles the mind!
Networks rerun a limited number of episodes all the time, and the casual fan usually never notices or cares. It's a free channel that goes out of its way to include content for people who don't get the channel. And every now and then, they throw the superfans a bone. Enjoy it for what it is.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chargeradiocom

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2022, 01:59:21 PM »
Buzzr just finished airing a new-to-network batch of 35 episodes of Press Your Luck last week.
Oh yeah, I was forgetting about that. I stand corrected. It just seems like they’ve moved at such a snail’s pace with adding new eps of PYL—though that could be said of a number of BUZZR shows.

And slightly tangential… while I personally never bought the idea that Sony was completely blocking WOF/J! reruns due to “no compete,” I do think it was true that they didn’t want reruns potentially running against new eps in the same time slot. Hence why WOF & J! reruns on GSN almost always aired only before 3PM or after 1AM. Though “no compete” may be becoming less of an issue even for Sony, considering WOF & J! are about to get their own 24/7 channels.

I kind of had the same idea about why no Family Feud in convenient hours of the day.  Since a Harvey episode is playing somewhere, sometime.  (Then again how do you explain GSN?)  That or the theories about Dawson with the ladies no longer being appropriate and all.  (once again, Then Again...why no Combs eps?)
Fremantle/Pearson/etc. never seemed to have an issue with Feud reruns being played at the same time as new eps. Even back to the Karn & O’Hurley days, you could still find Dawson, Combs, or later on Karn reruns on GSN at virtually all hours of the day, eventual paring down of the classics notwithstanding. And of course Harvey Feud is all over TV & streaming all hours of the day and doesn’t seem to be hurting the new eps. An argument could be made that it’s helping increase the appetite for new Harvey Feud content.

Perhaps some Sony exec saw that the reruns & viral videos weren’t hurting Harvey and thought, “Maybe we’ve been approaching this the wrong way with our shows.”

JMFabiano

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2022, 03:48:28 PM »
Buzzr just finished airing a new-to-network batch of 35 episodes of Press Your Luck last week.
Oh yeah, I was forgetting about that. I stand corrected. It just seems like they’ve moved at such a snail’s pace with adding new eps of PYL—though that could be said of a number of BUZZR shows.

Fremantle/Pearson/etc. never seemed to have an issue with Feud reruns being played at the same time as new eps. Even back to the Karn & O’Hurley days, you could still find Dawson, Combs, or later on Karn reruns on GSN at virtually all hours of the day, eventual paring down of the classics notwithstanding. And of course Harvey Feud is all over TV & streaming all hours of the day and doesn’t seem to be hurting the new eps. An argument could be made that it’s helping increase the appetite for new Harvey Feud content.

Perhaps some Sony exec saw that the reruns & viral videos weren’t hurting Harvey and thought, “Maybe we’ve been approaching this the wrong way with our shows.”

So then, I wonder why Buzzr has an aversion to the show, barring late night, weekends (not anymore), and marathons?  Just doesn't perform well?  Any of the "problematic" theories?  Doesn't want to expose the Harvey version for being inferior? ;-) ;-) ;-) 

JMFabiano

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2022, 03:57:08 PM »
I like Super Password as much as the next guy, but 2 hours a night is an awful lot.
I hope this isn't the start of dumbing down the channel in general.

I call it "The seven year itch" myself.

I compare this to, and I hope it doesn't totally come to pass, GSN in 1998.  And yes, I know...we got it MUCH worse from them since then. Even what we used to call the "dark period" wasn't as bad as the HSN Era, and more. But hear me out. Yes, the Goodson shows returned in 1998, and we still had classic Wheel and Jeopardy!, classic Pyramid, the Barry-Enright shows, etc. But! When GSN was Goodson-less, they switched to a "repeat a 3-hour block twice" format and never looked back. That hurt the variety a bit. (Flash forward to August 2022, and I ask you, sound familiar?)

The crappy originals (one of which showed disdain for GSN's fandom) came, so did cutting fee plugs, credit crunches, speedups, and years later, only catering to the newer shows and then just Harvey Feud. 

So yeah, 1998 was when GSN jumped the shark. Hope 2022 isn't the same for Buzzr.

BrandonFG

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2022, 04:03:30 PM »
I think a few of you need to take a step back and chill out. It's one schedule change. It's not ideal but the schedule hasn't even taken effect and some of you are going Chicken Little. Again, the "newest" show is from 1990. That was 32 years ago (as much as I don't wanna admit that), which is a long time.

Just relax and we'll revisit this conversation in a few months. Please. I'm begging you.

/Extreme Gong wasn't exactly wrong either for their jab
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Winkfan

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2022, 04:26:20 PM »
If they are going to go heavy on Password, it would be nice to see them trot out the black and white version.

If the black and white shows ever come back, maybe they could do a two hour block of Cullen Price Is Right on Saturdays, and a two hour block of Allen Ludden black and white Password for Sundays.

They should have a two-hour block of Cullen PiR, Collyer's Beat The Clock, and B&W Password on the weekends.

Cordially,
Tammy

P.S. BUZZR never got around to the ABC era of TPiR. [King Leonardo]CONFOUNDIT!!!!![/kl]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 05:14:18 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2022, 04:55:11 PM »
Again, the "newest" show is from 1990.

(pushes glasses up by the bridge) Actually, The Newlywed Game is from 1997 -- Buzzr just didn't acknowledge that in the graphic.

But your overall point still stands, of course.

I have to admit, when Buzzr announced in 2018 that it would begin airing Classic Concentration, I wondered whether they were making a mistake investing in a show that wouldn't have much appeal to the general public. I didn't expect it to become one of the network's top-performing shows (I assume, based on how quickly they're converting episodes and how often it shows up on the schedule).

Sure, I'm a little disappointed that this new schedule leaves out some of the shows I enjoy and goes too heavy on shows I usually don't tune in for. But I'm looking at this as an opportunity to get some more free time to pursue other interests. Nobody's forcing me to watch all of those Super Passwords.

BrandonFG

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2022, 05:06:31 PM »
Again, the "newest" show is from 1990.

(pushes glasses up by the bridge) Actually, The Newlywed Game is from 1997 -- Buzzr just didn't acknowledge that in the graphic.

But your overall point still stands, of course.
I did forget NG. Still 25 years is pretty good for a classics channel.

I have to admit, when Buzzr announced in 2018 that it would begin airing Classic Concentration, I wondered whether they were making a mistake investing in a show that wouldn't have much appeal to the general public. I didn't expect it to become one of the network's top-performing shows (I assume, based on how quickly they're converting episodes and how often it shows up on the schedule).
For a show that didn't air in reruns for several years, I'm shocked at how well-remembered CC is amongst the younger crowd. I've seen it mentioned several times on Twitter or the Xennial group I belong to on Facebook. $ale gets a lotta love too.

/People love seeing Trebek with a 'stache
//I've seen a few women swoon over pics of him from the 70s

TimK2003

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2022, 08:38:53 PM »
  An argument could be made that it’s helping increase the appetite for new Harvey Feud content.

*New* Harvey Feud Content?!?!??  He's been doing the same tired shtick for over a decade now.

"I'm your man Steve Harvey...We've got a good one for you today...Penis!"

gamed121683

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2022, 09:05:41 PM »

For a show that didn't air in reruns for several years, I'm shocked at how well-remembered CC is amongst the younger crowd. I've seen it mentioned several times on Twitter or the Xennial group I belong to on Facebook. $ale gets a lotta love too.

/People love seeing Trebek with a 'stache
//I've seen a few women swoon over pics of him from the 70s

Speaking of vintage Trebek, I'd like to remind those who feel this new schedule starting August 1st is Buzzr's "Dark Period" that this should give you an opportunity to watch (and/or analyze) Pluto TV's "Wheel" & "Jeopardy" channels that launch on the same day.

Bryce L.

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2022, 09:18:55 PM »
Speaking of vintage Trebek, I'd like to remind those who feel this new schedule starting August 1st is Buzzr's "Dark Period" that this should give you an opportunity to watch (and/or analyze) Pluto TV's "Wheel" & "Jeopardy" channels that launch on the same day.
...you don't think BUZZR might intentionally be sandbagging on the new lineup, in order to encourage people to check out the Wheel and Jeopardy channels (in a "don't worry, you won't be missing anything important" way), do you? BUZZR's directly acknowledged the two new channels on Twitter, after all.