Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New to Buzzr - Q3, 2022  (Read 29365 times)

CarpetCrawler

Re: New to Buzzr - Q3, 2022
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 06:34:26 PM »
Bummed to see Garry Moore's TTTT (And Narz Concentration) finally get dropped from the schedule (I only started being able to regularly watch Buzzr about a year ago so I have no idea if it's been taken off before), but can't say that I'm surprised considering how much it got shunted off to early morning hours.  I'm just glad to see it got as long of a run as it did so that new audiences could get the chance to give it a shot.

Yeah though, that is a LOT of Classic Concentration.  Also all the stuff I'm most interested in seeing is getting the 8AM-noon treatment.  As someone who works until 5/6PM most days... there's not that much variety for people on that set work schedule.  I guess it's the sign that I'm gonna need to start learning how to schedule/set recordings of their morning stream.  Frankly, I'm just glad they're still even giving us Whew!
- CC Kirby

JMFabiano

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 06:43:21 PM »
I like Super Password as much as the next guy, but 2 hours a night is an awful lot.

I feel like the SP overdose, along with Plus (no more Kennedy on weekends, BTW?!) and '67, is a subtle advertisement for the NBC version which starts the same month. 

And didn't Narz Concentration just start a fresh batch?  So WTH? 

(We also lose NYSI and the 70s panel shows...or any panels for that matter.  And Sale, they just had some syndie eps left though, right?) 

So yeah...variety is hurting here.  Obviously. 

No PYL is curious too....can't be because of the Banks version going on now, as "no compete" clauses were never a problem with it.  ("No compete" is the theory some had about Sony's aversion to Wheel and Jeopardy! reruns, for instance.)  Was it just not that popular? 

For that matter, Whew! and Talk About being pushed to early morning concerns me, like they're giving up on both. Maybe at least till fresh eps are prepared. 

Well MG/HS is being downsized which is what some people called for, seeing as we saw all Buzzr is willing to show us.  But is it one episode in the hour slot or two?  (I'm guessing the former) 

I hope this isn't the start of dumbing down the channel in general. 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Bryce L.

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 06:50:17 PM »
Well MG/HS is being downsized which is what some people called for, seeing as we saw all Buzzr is willing to show us.  But is it one episode in the hour slot or two?  (I'm guessing the former)
If you can run two MGHS episodes in an hour's time I'd love to see the results. GSN's speedup guys would be envious.

gamed121683

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 07:03:33 PM »
I like Super Password as much as the next guy, but 2 hours a night is an awful lot.
I hope this isn't the start of dumbing down the channel in general.

I call it "The seven year itch" myself.

JMFabiano

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 07:44:17 PM »
If you can run two MGHS episodes in an hour's time I'd love to see the results. GSN's speedup guys would be envious.

I should have said "...or two in a 2 hour block".  But this made me laugh.

Some might say just keep the Match Game segments and form a double episode in one hour that way...

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 08:35:33 PM »

For that matter, Whew! and Talk About being pushed to early morning concerns me, like they're giving up on both. Maybe at least till fresh eps are prepared. 

Keep in mind that these are two shows that are not Fremantle properties, so there may be issues that limit each show's total number of airings over the course of their leases.  So by limiting them to one airing a day, they can stretch out the time they can air their runs.  I don't see the movement of these shows to the AM as being a "death sentence" for either.

Plausible theories, but I could be wrong on all counts.

JohnXXVII

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2022, 10:11:57 PM »
Really disappointing schedule. Will really miss Narz Concentration, Sale of the Century, Cullen Price Is Right, Now You See It, and the panel shows, among others. Have long missed Body Language and the black & white WML, TTTT, Beat the Clock, IGAS, and Password.

Didn't one of the heads of the channel recently pass away? If this is the direction they are now going in as a result, it doesn't seem as promising for the classic game show fan.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 10:23:18 PM by JohnXXVII »

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2022, 10:30:03 PM »
Didn't one of the heads of the channel recently pass away? If this is the direction they are now going in as a result, it doesn't seem as promising for the classic game show fan.
I mean, the most recent show on the new lineup is 32 years old. I'm not the biggest fan of the changes - seriously, I love Classic Concentration but eight episodes a day is overkill - but it's not like they're doing a two-hour binge of Celebrity Name Game or Temptation either. I'm sure the other shows will return at some point.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

splinkynip

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2022, 11:16:22 PM »
Definitely an odd schedule, but scheduling mostly in hour-long blocks is how they started in 2015. Why they bothered making that Ruprecht/Eubanks commercial promoting the 9PM hour if they were just going to change the schedule in a few weeks, who knows. Not a surprise though that Talk About is being sent off to mornings.

They could definitely pare down on several shows in order to get shows removed back on, even if it was in the middle of the night. They could chop two hours of Classic Concentration, an hour of Super Password, an hour of Password Plus, one hour of MG/HS and a Family Feud... that would allow 5.5 hours for perhaps an hour of Sale of the Century, an hour of Press Your Luck, and perhaps a two hour block of 70's shows in the middle of the night.

Sodboy13

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2022, 11:33:39 PM »
Looking at the schedule from a perspective of sheer utility, I wonder if they have more converted "new to Buzzr" episodes of these shows ready to go than the shows they're setting aside. Convert "new" episodes of other shows in the meantime, and work them back in while paring back some of the shows getting overkill at the outset.

Two solid hours of Super Password in primetime - can't imagine anybody's asking for that.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

JohnXXVII

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2022, 11:47:25 PM »
If Super Password were newly converted, it would be listed as Super Password 86, for the 1986 shows. Instead, they are listing it as Super Password 85. They've shown all the 1985 shows, with a few skips here and there, over the last 6 years (!!!). A lot of what this schedule means is less variety and more repeats.

Super Password was on NBC for 4 and a half years. It took Buzzr 6 years to show just one calendar year of it. It boggles the mind!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2022, 12:40:07 AM »
But this is the first time I've heard anybody actively censor an instance of the word in a piece of old media. Is this a practice that's now common?
It's a practice that seems to have been common for Buzzr for at least a few years now. It started with an M word for little person being censored across Match Games, Passwords and, most humorously, on Cullen Price is Right episodes where it was part of a product name. They had an episode of Super Password where the puzzle was something like "The Seven Dwarves" and it was solved after three clues, but then there was a sudden jump to Bert tossing to commercial because the unrevealed words of the puzzle they went over was that M word.

I've also seen instances of "Indian" being censored. It appears to just be when referring to Native Americans. Back during the Betty White tribute they ran the entire final week of Super Password except for one episode. Upon viewing said episode from a previous airing on GSN, they probably skipped it because one of the puzzles was "Indians." A shame since that particular episode featured the Gene Wood reading the prize copy on the floor moment, though there's no guarantee Buzzr would've left that in anyway.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

JMFabiano

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2022, 12:43:35 AM »
I mean, the most recent show on the new lineup is 32 years old. I'm not the biggest fan of the changes - seriously, I love Classic Concentration but eight episodes a day is overkill - but it's not like they're doing a two-hour binge of Celebrity Name Game or Temptation either. I'm sure the other shows will return at some point.

Hope you're right and this isn't the beginning of the Dork Age of the channel.  Kinda like GSN in 1998-99, say, when Extreme Gong got the big push. 

chargeradiocom

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2022, 12:44:29 AM »
[snipped for brevity]
Agreed on pretty much your entire analysis.

No PYL is curious too....can't be because of the Banks version going on now, as "no compete" clauses were never a problem with it.  ("No compete" is the theory some had about Sony's aversion to Wheel and Jeopardy! reruns, for instance.)  Was it just not that popular? 
I find this odd too, partly because it’s an iconic 80s series, plus you’d think they’d want to keep it around to promote the Banks series. Although they haven’t had a new batch of eps for a while, so perhaps it shouldn’t be too shocking. Perhaps the more surprising one to me is $ale, considering that for its entire BUZZR run, it’s been in prime time or on the cusp of it.

And slightly tangential… while I personally never bought the idea that Sony was completely blocking WOF/J! reruns due to “no compete,” I do think it was true that they didn’t want reruns potentially running against new eps in the same time slot. Hence why WOF & J! reruns on GSN almost always aired only before 3PM or after 1AM. Though “no compete” may be becoming less of an issue even for Sony, considering WOF & J! are about to get their own 24/7 channels.

I’d have been willing to think that maybe Talk About was tanking in its time slot. But I thought Whew! was getting respectable numbers. Along with Narz Concentration getting scuttled, I was wondering if maybe the lease door was beginning to close. Although some other shows that are leased or at least have a leased component (Classic Concentration, MGHSH, Newlywed Game) are still being treated well. So maybe it’s just the fangeek leased shows getting shafted. :( Hopefully you’re right that it’s just until new eps are ready.

Definitely an odd schedule, but scheduling mostly in hour-long blocks is how they started in 2015. Why they bothered making that Ruprecht/Eubanks commercial promoting the 9PM hour if they were just going to change the schedule in a few weeks, who knows.
I sort of wonder if this schedule overhaul just came together just came together within the last few weeks, in part because of the Ruprecht/Eubanks promo.

They could definitely pare down on several shows in order to get shows removed back on, even if it was in the middle of the night. They could chop two hours of Classic Concentration, an hour of Super Password, an hour of Password Plus, one hour of MG/HS and a Family Feud... that would allow 5.5 hours for perhaps an hour of Sale of the Century, an hour of Press Your Luck, and perhaps a two hour block of 70's shows in the middle of the night.
Agreed. Or heck, give a few hours of the weekend to those shows.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2022, 01:57:38 AM »
No PYL is curious too....can't be because of the Banks version going on now, as "no compete" clauses were never a problem with it.
I find this odd too, partly because it’s an iconic 80s series, plus you’d think they’d want to keep it around to promote the Banks series. Although they haven’t had a new batch of eps for a while, so perhaps it shouldn’t be too shocking.

Buzzr just finished airing a new-to-network batch of 35 episodes of Press Your Luck last week.