Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New to Buzzr - Q3, 2022  (Read 29350 times)

Robair

New to Buzzr - Q3, 2022
« on: July 06, 2022, 08:34:10 AM »
July, August, September

Concentration goes to 1352 for another fresh run starting July 18.
--Robair

chrisholland03

Re: New to Buzzr - Q3, 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 12:08:08 PM »
It looks like there were new-to-Buzzr eps of Match Game 77 in the 6pm Eastern slot this week.  Eps 1079-1088.  Also this week's airing of evening Newlywed Game eps seem to have resolved the 'begin at the first question' issue. 

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 12:53:44 PM »
On an episode of Press Your Luck that recently aired on Buzzr, a contestant won a trip to Hong Kong. In the prize copy for the hotel, Rod described it as "right in the middle of all the shopping, nightlife, and entertainment that the exotic Orient can offer." Except Buzzr muted out the word "Orient."

I'm aware that that's an outdated term that should now be avoided in favor of more accurate geographic descriptions. And I know that the adjectival form of that word -- especially when used as a noun to refer to a person or people -- is offensive and should never be used.

But this is the first time I've heard anybody actively censor an instance of the word in a piece of old media. Is this a practice that's now common?

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 01:13:24 PM »
The way I understand is that you refer to a rug or vase as Oriental, but not a person. Never heard that about Hong Kong, which is apparently known as the “Pearl of the Orient”. This sounds like Buzzr simply covering its tracks.

EDIT: VASE not case.

/FU Autocorrect
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 05:41:03 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Allstar87

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 03:43:53 PM »
But this is the first time I've heard anybody actively censor an instance of the word in a piece of old media. Is this a practice that's now common?

Buzzr has done it at least once before, on an episode of Split Second from 1986. Although that case was more clear-cut; Monty asked a language teacher which students had the hardest time learning English, and she responded with "The toughest would have to be (adjectival form) students, or Arabic speakers, because they have to start right from scratch". She definitely wasn't speaking through malice, although I have no idea how accepted the term was in '86.

This sounds like Buzzr simply covering its tracks.

They've been quite thorough about that, too; Buzzr skipped over the 12/9/85 Super Password because the word popped up in the bonus round. (The 7/24/85 Body Language got skipped too, for the double whammy of the word showing up and the gestures given to get to it.)

Otm Shank

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 03:19:10 AM »
When reviewing something in the pharmaceutical realm about 12 years ago, I flagged the offensive demonym when it was used to describe side effects and certain populations. It went through multiple levels in my department, but they made the unfortunate decision to "retain the term because it was cited in the source," a decades-old medical article.

However, Orient is not only geographic designation, but one that has cultural significance. But, if they are overly cautious on 40-year old prize copy, I'm okay with that. (And thankfully, the word flokati is not offensive.)

Sodboy13

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 01:10:02 PM »
Looks like we're getting a full schedule revamp come August 1st. Buzzr tweeted out today that the full daily schedule will now be "Double Plays," so it'll be a 1-hour block of everything, except MGHSH, which would be 2 hours. And if that's the case, I'd imagine that show is getting bumped out of prime time. Also, there's '80s LMAD in the promo, so it looks like that's sticking around after this week's stunt.

https://twitter.com/BUZZRtv/status/1549061534508208129?t=SWWsPC5w44PgEMn03dtkIQ&s=19
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

tvmitch

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 03:52:32 PM »
Looks like we're getting a full schedule revamp come August 1st. Buzzr tweeted out today that the full daily schedule will now be "Double Plays," so it'll be a 1-hour block of everything, except MGHSH, which would be 2 hours.
This is a very interesting move. I wonder what precipitated it. From an ad sales perspective, it's how everything else is programmed these days - easier to sell a show in an hour block than every half hour. Just a quick look at the diginets that air in my market, just about all of them are on a one-show-per-hour model. But most, if not all, of Buzzr is not sold that way (currently).

As Vahan called out on Twitter, TalkAbout, Supermarket Sweep, PYL, and Whew! were not shown in this promo. Narz Concentration wasn't, either. I would think that the switch to hourlong blocks will cut down on the number of shows that air. Will be interested to see the new schedule.
You should follow me on Twitter

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 04:01:49 PM »
Oog, that guy has a Twitter presence?

Weird that a channel would go to a great deal of effort to put TalkAbout on the air then shelve it so quickly unless people just don’t care about charmingly budgetarily-friendly Canadian game shows.
Travis L. Eberle

chargeradiocom

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 05:45:13 PM »

tyshaun1

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 05:47:15 PM »

chargeradiocom

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 05:52:49 PM »
And here we go…

https://twitter.com/buzzrtv/status/1549144490195255296
3 hours of Classic Concentration a day. Wow.
Classic Concentration is the new Match Game, sharing those duties with Super Password apparently.

FWIW, according to BUZZR’s replies it looks like at least a few of the shows not listed in the graphic are getting late night slots (Sweep and Dawson Feud have been confirmed).

tvmitch

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 06:03:04 PM »
I like Super Password as much as the next guy, but 2 hours a night is an awful lot.
You should follow me on Twitter

snowpeck

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 06:27:31 PM »
According to their replies on social media, the overnight schedule for all 7 days is as follows:

12AM Classic Concentration
1AM Password Plus
2AM Supermarket Sweep
3AM Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour
4A Family Feud (Dawson) (90 minutes it seems?)

So wow, four hours a day of Classic Concentration is a lot even though it is a great show.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 06:49:56 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)