The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

New to Buzzr - Q3, 2022

(1/18) > >>

Robair:
July, August, September

Concentration goes to 1352 for another fresh run starting July 18.

chrisholland03:
It looks like there were new-to-Buzzr eps of Match Game 77 in the 6pm Eastern slot this week.  Eps 1079-1088.  Also this week's airing of evening Newlywed Game eps seem to have resolved the 'begin at the first question' issue. 

MSTieScott:
On an episode of Press Your Luck that recently aired on Buzzr, a contestant won a trip to Hong Kong. In the prize copy for the hotel, Rod described it as "right in the middle of all the shopping, nightlife, and entertainment that the exotic Orient can offer." Except Buzzr muted out the word "Orient."

I'm aware that that's an outdated term that should now be avoided in favor of more accurate geographic descriptions. And I know that the adjectival form of that word -- especially when used as a noun to refer to a person or people -- is offensive and should never be used.

But this is the first time I've heard anybody actively censor an instance of the word in a piece of old media. Is this a practice that's now common?

BrandonFG:
The way I understand is that you refer to a rug or vase as Oriental, but not a person. Never heard that about Hong Kong, which is apparently known as the “Pearl of the Orient”. This sounds like Buzzr simply covering its tracks.

EDIT: VASE not case.

/FU Autocorrect

Allstar87:

--- Quote from: MSTieScott on July 17, 2022, 12:53:44 PM ---But this is the first time I've heard anybody actively censor an instance of the word in a piece of old media. Is this a practice that's now common?

--- End quote ---

Buzzr has done it at least once before, on an episode of Split Second from 1986. Although that case was more clear-cut; Monty asked a language teacher which students had the hardest time learning English, and she responded with "The toughest would have to be (adjectival form) students, or Arabic speakers, because they have to start right from scratch". She definitely wasn't speaking through malice, although I have no idea how accepted the term was in '86.

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on July 17, 2022, 01:13:24 PM ---This sounds like Buzzr simply covering its tracks.

--- End quote ---

They've been quite thorough about that, too; Buzzr skipped over the 12/9/85 Super Password because the word popped up in the bonus round. (The 7/24/85 Body Language got skipped too, for the double whammy of the word showing up and the gestures given to get to it.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version