Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndicated game shows which failed to clear Los Angeles stations  (Read 3327 times)

cbs09041972

There have been several syndicated game shows, produced in Los Angeles/Hollywood, yet failed to be cleared on all mainstream LA VHF stations (Channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13). Among them included the syndicated Wheel of Fortune in its premiere season (until KCOP 13 cleared it on March 5, 1984), and Catch Phrase with Art James in 1985 (aired on KEYT 3 Santa Barbara, an ABC affiliate; KCBS 2 only aired it Saturdays). Do you know of any other such game shows that failed to air on LA TV?

It's been quite perplexing to me on why any first-run TV show would not air in the very market they where the majority of them were produced in. Your answers would be greatly appreciated.

trainman

Re: Syndicated game shows which failed to clear Los Angeles stations
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 01:12:32 AM »
It's been quite perplexing to me on why any first-run TV show would not air in the very market they where the majority of them were produced in.

Because when TV stations decide what syndicated programming to purchase, the location where the show is being produced is of minuscule concern.
trainman is a man of trains

cbs09041972

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 01:33:19 AM »
It's been quite perplexing to me on why any first-run TV show would not air in the very market they where the majority of them were produced in.

Because when TV stations decide what syndicated programming to purchase, the location where the show is being produced is of minuscule concern.

I guess the same can apply to New York City. BTW, how do you put the quotes like you did?

Bryce L.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 02:06:22 AM »
BTW, how do you put the quotes like you did?
Look for the "Quote" link in the top right corner of a post.

cbs09041972

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 02:48:35 AM »
My other concern is how did contestant wannabes know how to get on if it didn't broadcast in LA.

tyshaun1

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 07:19:24 AM »
My other concern is how did contestant wannabes know how to get on if it didn't broadcast in LA.
Back in the day, every game show would put contestant search ads in Southern California newspapers. It's the reason why a large majority of contestants were from the area, especially when the show first airs.

That Don Guy

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 12:24:26 PM »
Back in the day, every game show would put contestant search ads in Southern California newspapers. It's the reason why a large majority of contestants were from the area, especially when the show first airs.
I remember on The Guinness Game, episodes would show the address to contact if you wanted to be one of the "record breakers," but not one if you wanted to be a contestant.

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 03:00:20 PM »
And IIRC, most, if not all, contestant search ads were usually found on page 1 of the Classified Sections of the LA papers, at least on the weekends.   So they really were visible to most of the population that read the papers.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 01:25:23 AM »
The Jack Narz "Concentration" wasn't airing in Los Angeles the first couple years of its run.    This was made clear in a "Now You See It" episode when the clue "Host of Concentration" got the buzzer because no one saw it and after the laughter died down, Jack admitted that the show wasn't airing in the Los Angeles market.

cbs09041972

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 10:56:43 PM »
Had he been aware of Concentration being off the air in LA sooner than he realized it, it probably would've been brought back on sooner than it did at his request.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 07:20:40 PM »
The Jack Narz "Concentration" wasn't airing in Los Angeles the first couple years of its run.    This was made clear in a "Now You See It" episode when the clue "Host of Concentration" got the buzzer because no one saw it and after the laughter died down, Jack admitted that the show wasn't airing in the Los Angeles market.

That is very funny considering it was taping at Metromedia who owned KTTV at the time, they very well could have aired it. *shrug*

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »
Had he been aware of Concentration being off the air in LA sooner than he realized it, it probably would've been brought back on sooner than it did at his request.

Last I saw, hosts do not make programming decisions.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2022, 10:01:42 PM »
I don't believe the syndie $ale of the Century aired in L.A.