Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Announcers That Should've Been A GS Host?  (Read 3780 times)

Jamey Greek

Re: GS Announcers That Should've Been A GS Host?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 01:24:02 PM »
Who else auditioned to replace Pat? Never heard about Dean Goss trying out. The only ones I heard of were Rolf and a tennis player... Jimmy Connors I believe?

Was MG indeed only filling in until Charlie was done with the Chuck Barris shows? I seem to recall Pat recently in an interview mentioning that MG just didn't do a very good job at announcing. I personally didn't care for him.

Bob Goen and Pat Finn tried out.  As did Tim Brando.  He almost got the job and yes, MG was only filling in until.Charlie fulfilled his commitment with Barris.  Jack Clark specifically requested for Charlie to succeed him.

splinkynip

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2022, 02:07:34 PM »
Bob Goen and Pat Finn tried out.  As did Tim Brando.  He almost got the job and yes, MG was only filling in until.Charlie fulfilled his commitment with Barris.  Jack Clark specifically requested for Charlie to succeed him.

I'm curious as to where you heard that Charlie taking over was Jack's request.

As for Bob Goen and Pat Finn, according to David Baber's  "Television Game Show Hosts Book", they auditioned when the show moved to CBS, to replace Rolf. The other auditions were Bob Eubanks, Chuck Henry, Marc Summers, and John Davidson. Not sure if anyone else was auditioned

Fixed a broken quote box. -knagl
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 12:16:32 AM by knagl »

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 02:54:27 PM »
Dean Goss would have.  As you know, he was supposed to take over for Monty on a third season of TANLMAD and even turned down the chance to be Johnny O's successor but Telepictures said no.  He also hosted several pilots.  He even auditioned to be Pat's successor on Daytime Wheel.

MG Kelly would have been a good game show host.  There was video of him getting on-camera time.  I wonder if it was an audition to succeed Pat.  I think he should have gotten the job IMO.  Because after all that announcing gig was only temporary until Charlie O came back.
Dean definitely had chops and did an excellent job "filling in" on LMAD. M.G. Kelly as an announcer was a little too dry for me. IMO he made Jack Clark sound excitable, and I say this as someone who preferred Jack's lowkey announcer style.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Stackertosh

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 08:29:27 PM »
Jonathan Mangum; I think if Wayne Brady ever steps down as host he could easily slide in and take over hosting and do a good job.

I keep thinking that myself. If given the chance to do his own show, Jonathan can get off of Brady's coattails and test his own wings.

Cordially,
Tammy

I figure Jonathan is staying with Wayne since its an easy pay check. I do think he has the chops to be a good Gameshow host.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2022, 10:37:27 PM »
John Cramer would've definitely kicked ass as a host!