Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Announcers That Should've Been A GS Host?  (Read 3782 times)

TimK2003

GS Announcers That Should've Been A GS Host?
« on: June 27, 2022, 09:54:23 PM »
There are many game show announcers that later became hosts of at least one show or former hosts that also took the lesser announcer gig.

But of those who never hosted an actual game show on TV, which announcer(s) deserved a shot but never got the nod?

Stackertosh

Re: GS Announcers That Should've Been A GS Host?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 10:10:48 PM »
Rich Fields I think if he was given a chance to host Price I think he could've handled the show really well.

Jonathan Mangum I think if Wayne Brady ever steps down as host he could easily slide in and take over hosting and do a good job.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 10:33:17 PM »
Burton Richardson is the only name that's coming to mind.

As for Rich Fields, he did sub on Flamingo Fortune at least once. There's a clip on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-sBDnJIBwM
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 10:36:17 PM »
He hosted a pilot, but Alan Kalter really had some solid hosting chops. Would've loved to have seen him get a show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SuperMatch93

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 11:12:01 PM »
I have a feeling Randy West would be a capable host given the right format.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 12:05:09 AM »
Not sure if he ever hosted a local game show in Philly or in L.A., but I think Charlie O'Donnell would have made a great host for a Jeopardy or Split Second-type show.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 05:54:47 AM »
Dan Daniel. Familiar face on commercials for Publishers Clearing House, but not a host on a game show..
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BillCullen1

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 06:55:20 AM »
Seconded for Alan Kalter and Dan Daniel.

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 10:00:50 AM »
John Harlan came to my mind, but I remembered that he "co-hosted"--sort of--"It Takes Two" with Vin Scully.

I almost wondered if Sandy Hoyt should've hosted "Split Second" '86 instead of Monty.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »
John Harlan came to my mind, but I remembered that he "co-hosted"--sort of--"It Takes Two" with Vin Scully.

I almost wondered if Sandy Hoyt should've hosted "Split Second" '86 instead of Monty.
Speaking of Canadian guys, did Rod Charlebois ever do his own game show?

Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Winkfan

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 04:56:36 PM »
Jonathan Mangum; I think if Wayne Brady ever steps down as host he could easily slide in and take over hosting and do a good job.

I keep thinking that myself. If given the chance to do his own show, Jonathan can get off of Brady's coattails and test his own wings.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 07:43:54 PM »
I have a feeling Randy West would be a capable host given the right format.

Just ask him.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jamey Greek

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 11:57:31 AM »
Rich Fields I think if he was given a chance to host Price I think he could've handled the show really well.

Jonathan Mangum I think if Wayne Brady ever steps down as host he could easily slide in and take over hosting and do a good job.

Actually Rich did not, he tried to get an audition but they would not let him.  Because they felt he was more valuable as announcer.  He stated that in his podcast.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 12:02:04 PM »
Dean Goss would have.  As you know, he was supposed to take over for Monty on a third season of TANLMAD and even turned down the chance to be Johnny O's successor but Telepictures said no.  He also hosted several pilots.  He even auditioned to be Pat's successor on Daytime Wheel.

MG Kelly would have been a good game show host.  There was video of him getting on-camera time.  I wonder if it was an audition to succeed Pat.  I think he should have gotten the job IMO.  Because after all that announcing gig was only temporary until Charlie O came back.

splinkynip

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2022, 12:20:40 PM »
Who else auditioned to replace Pat? Never heard about Dean Goss trying out. The only ones I heard of were Rolf and a tennis player... Jimmy Connors I believe?

Was MG indeed only filling in until Charlie was done with the Chuck Barris shows? I seem to recall Pat recently in an interview mentioning that MG just didn't do a very good job at announcing. I personally didn't care for him.