Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game - Hitting the Cycle  (Read 2505 times)

Trisscope

Match Game - Hitting the Cycle
« on: June 13, 2022, 05:13:10 PM »
I was watching Buzzr and a Match Game aired where Fannie Flagg had taken Brett's seat for whatever reason. That got me thinking about people who were in the "All-Seat Club" or who occupied all three seats at some point in the Match Game '7X run. This is a rare feat thanks to Brett and Charles occupying the two and three seats for nearly all the run, but a few people have done it in both sets.

In my research I found that Fannie Flagg, Loretta Swit, Patty Duke, and Gary Burghoff all accomplished this feat.

Others have also found that Dick Martin, Richard Deacon, Bill Daily, McLean Stevenson, and Nipsey Russell also count.

Does anyone know who else might have completed this cycle?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:38:41 PM by Trisscope »

Bryce L.

Re: Match Game - Hitting the Cycle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 05:47:59 PM »
If Bob Barker ever sat in chair 3 (CNR's usual seat), he'd count too.

snowpeck

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 06:09:57 PM »
Barker only ever sat in seats 1, 4 and 5.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 06:16:16 PM »
that’s “three the hard way”, i’d say.
@lambertman

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 06:59:50 PM »
Barker only ever sat in seats 1, 4 and 5.
4 must've been in week 2 in 1973, when they had everyone backwards (didn't they put Richard on the top tier? only time I've ever seen him anywhere other than 5)

BillCullen1

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 07:10:47 PM »
The first week CNR was on, he was in seat 1. One week in '78 or '79, Jack Klugman was in seat 5. They switched him and CNR toward the end of the week, so CNR was in seat 5.

Klugman was in seat 3 and 5, plus one week he was in seat 2, taking Brett's place while she was away doing a play. He did that so Brett wouldn't miss a paycheck.

WhammyPower

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 08:53:29 PM »
that’s “three the hard way”, i’d say.
Dickie Dawson qualifies for three the hard way also, as in that same week he sat in both seat 3 and seat 2.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 10:49:14 PM »
Dawson actually qualities for four.  During a week in October 1975, at the beginning he asked Gene why they were always assigned to those seats.  Gene said he didn't know.  Richard prompted everyone to change seats and he ended up in seat 1 for that episode, giving him 1 2, 3 and 5 during the course of the run.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 10:53:52 PM »
Dawson actually qualities for four.  During a week in October 1975, at the beginning he asked Gene why they were always assigned to those seats.  Gene said he didn't know.  Richard prompted everyone to change seats and he ended up in seat 1 for that episode, giving him 1 2, 3 and 5 during the course of the run.

Here's said episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVsarmTUx-c

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Brian44

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 11:12:25 AM »
Didn't Betty, Joyce and Marcia take turns in 2, 4 and 6 the one week Brett was out toward the end of the run?

BillCullen1

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 11:22:59 AM »

So this means CNR sat in seats 1, 3, 5 and 6.

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2022, 03:32:17 PM »
And once Charles sat in seat "7", when Gene moved Charles down to the lower tier after he and Brett were bantering too much, so Charles temporarily sat next to Betty White down there :D