Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Larry Blyden thought  (Read 4987 times)

Bob Zager

A Larry Blyden thought
« on: June 08, 2022, 11:23:22 AM »
This week (First full week of June, 2022), Larry Blyden is seen on WML? in the morning, and original Password in the afternoon on BUZZR.  It led me to look up his hosting history in the EOTVGS, and I'd figured something out that I don't know if anyone else has mentioned before.

In sequential order, Blyden hosted the following:

Personality
You're Putting Me On
The Movie Game
What's My Line?

It later struck me, that after Personality was cancelled by NBC, each of the other shows Blyden hosted had been on the air with a different host originally!  The Monday after Personality was cancelled, Blyden succeeded Bill Leyden on YPMO.  Eventually, he succeeded Sonny Fox on The Movie Game in syndication, and then took over WML? from Wally Bruner.

During his time on WML?, he subbed for Bill Cullen on Three on a Match, but I don't know how long it was for.

Of course, we know he tragically died not too long before he was going to host Showoffs, but wonder if he would've helped the show, or hosted more shows later on, had he lived.

Jimmy Owen

Re: A Larry Blyden thought
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 12:08:49 PM »
"Showoffs" would have been a 26 week show, no matter who hosted it.  Larry would have would have paneled on TTTT and do pilots for Bob Stewart, which would have sold for one of the networks.  He would be active on Broadway, either on stage or behind the scenes.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

calliaume

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 07:41:56 PM »
I've noted before--and this is just an opinion--that Larry Blyden hosted game shows because of what had happened in his personal life. He and his wife Carol Haney divorced and she died two years after that in 1964, which tied him down in New York with his kids for the most part. (The year before he'd done an NBC sitcom, Harry's Girls, which filmed mostly in Europe.) He was successful on Broadway, but not every show is a success and a long run at that point was a year or eighteen months, not ten or twenty years like A Chorus Line or Cats. So game shows provided an easy, additional line of steady income. Whether he wanted to do them or not is another question altogether.

But I don't think Larry Blyden's presence on Showoffs would have made it a success. I doubt a huge percentage of the viewing public realized that Bobby Van was only hired because of Blyden's death; most viewers didn't read the trades that faithfully. (I did, but I'm a geek.)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 11:19:46 AM »
You have to wonder if Bobby Van would have not become a host.  He might have been just a panelist. Would there be no Fun Factory or Make Me Laugh?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 01:09:53 PM »
Would there be no Fun Factory or Make Me Laugh?

Would anyone have noticed?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 02:21:24 PM »
Would there be no Fun Factory or Make Me Laugh?

Would anyone have noticed?
Some have a fondness for MML.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 04:53:06 PM »
4/10. I’m being generous because it’s Friday.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Scrabbleship

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 09:43:44 PM »
Larry would have would have paneled on TTTT

I don't just think he would've just paneled. I think that in an alternative 1977 with Larry Blyden in it he takes over TTTT once Garry Moore retires. Not that it would've helped a bunch, the show was already tired regardless of who hosted it, but I think his time on WML? would've pushed him over Joe Garagiola.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 05:09:54 PM »
Some have a fondness for MML.

Having Frank Zappa on that show was the equivalent of Tom Douglas doing Battle Salmon on Iron Chef. That "you gotta be farking kidding me" look while Bruce Baum went through his zany histronics was 100% genuine.

/also he was prolly tripping balls
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe