Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stage props from one show to another  (Read 8732 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: Stage props from one show to another
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2022, 04:20:11 AM »
I guess this sort-of ties in:  I always wondered about the turntable in studio 33, since at the same time NYSI, MG, and TPIR were all using one and it was always, seemingly, in the same spot.  I always have assumed there was a "turntable mechanism" which was in the set, so it had to be positioned in that location.

When G-T used studio 33 it had a flat floor with no built-in turntable. The turntables for TPIR, NYSI and MG were built into platforms which could be struck when not in use.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2022, 10:40:52 AM »
The original set was demolished upon the cancellation of the first run. A new, second set was built from the same plans as the first set, which is why it seemed "practically exactly the same". In addition, the show moved from studio 41 to 43 and a new music package was produced.

There was a show where the set was saved after the show was cancelled and reused when the show was brought back. Can you name it?
CBS $25,000 Pyramid?
I think you're on the right track, but I think he's referring to the 1991 John Davidson version reusing the same set from the 82-88 run.
Actually, I think Davidson Pyramid was one of those instances where they rebuilt at least parts of the set using the same plans, if not the whole thing. Case in point? The Winner’s Circle trilons. The Clark version’s set design in the 80s still looks like a fourth row could be added to the Winner’s Circle pyramid. The Davidson version does not.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2022, 08:23:19 PM »
I think Davidson Pyramid was one of those instances where they rebuilt at least parts of the set using the same plans, if not the whole thing.

Agreed. All of the fabric on set looks a little different, and the player tables are lower to the ground than the '80s series, IIRC.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

carlisle96

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2022, 12:57:08 PM »
Nice inside information...this is what I get when I tangle with experts. But didn't the ABC shop have to build a new "$10,000 Pyramid" when the show moved from CBS?

I'm by no means an authority on the subject, and wasn't around, but I'll share what I remember from Usenet days around why Pyramid was an exception:

1) Jim Ryan was an in-house designer at CBS
2) The Sullivan stage was larger in every dimension than the Elysee's, so there was a need to rescale
3) The union blocked the set move from CBS, as building a new set was to their benefit

As an aside, but worth mentioning, there's an episode of Shoot for the Stars floating about that was shot at Sullivan using the NBC set pieces and different staging.  If I'm remembering correctly, 30 Rock was under reconstruction at the time.

and from what I've heard, the plywood covering up what was supposed to be the bottom four Pyramid boxes remained in place during the entire CBS run, necessitating a rebuild anyway. Curious why they schlepped the Shoot for the Stars set all the way to the Ed Sullivan Theater instead of using another studio in 30 Rock. I would find it strange that the entire complex was being rebuilt. Wasn't To Tell the Truth still in production at this time? and certainly SNL was active.

BrandonFG

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2022, 01:25:10 PM »
I think Davidson Pyramid was one of those instances where they rebuilt at least parts of the set using the same plans, if not the whole thing.

Agreed. All of the fabric on set looks a little different, and the player tables are lower to the ground than the '80s series, IIRC.

-Jason
The Winner’s Circle light borders were a little thicker as well. The giant pyramid itself looked a little shorter, but that could be because there wasn’t as much space under the bottom row.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

geno57

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2022, 03:48:56 AM »
I would bet that the "lightning round" mechanism was outsourced to the same firm that built the old Concentration board.

Not so sure about that, Chris! I have a copy of the original drawings for the Lightning Round system. It was designed and built by the great Ted Cooper. The Concentration board was built — at considerable expense — by a company whose name escapes me, but which was best known for building electromechanical parts for parade floats and corporate displays.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2022, 01:08:58 PM »
The Concentration board was built — at considerable expense — by a company whose name escapes me, but which was best known for building electromechanical parts for parade floats and corporate displays.

I believe that was Messmore and Damon.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2022, 12:40:57 AM »
I would bet that the "lightning round" mechanism was outsourced to the same firm that built the old Concentration board.

Not so sure about that, Chris! I have a copy of the original drawings for the Lightning Round system. It was designed and built by the great Ted Cooper. The Concentration board was built — at considerable expense — by a company whose name escapes me, but which was best known for building electromechanical parts for parade floats and corporate displays.

Messmore and Damon is the firm that designed and built the old Concentration board.

Ted may have drawn a picture of the lightning-round mechanism but the actual mechanical engineering was not in Ted's wheelhouse, so I stand by my assertion that he probably outsourced it to Messmore and Damon as he outsourced so many other electronic and mechanical devices.

Would you care to upload your picture of the lightning-round mechanism to the Archive? I don't have a copy.

Bob Zager

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2022, 08:10:35 PM »
While talking about the original Concentration game board, if the blueprints are still around it would be nice if they become part of the Game Show Memorabilia Exhibit at the Strong.  Even nicer than that is if they could try to rebuild it using modern day electrical ideas.  Probably still be expensive to do that, but another idea is rebuilding the original Jeopardy! game board.  No electrical wiring was need for that, so it would be less costly, for sure!

ET206

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2022, 01:06:43 AM »
CBS Card Sharks used TPiR's Hawaii trip skins for Young People's Week.

One of Classic Concentration's lighted car arches was used as a prop on Days of Our Lives.

When multiple shows were taped at CBS or NBC, I wonder if the same Christmas and other holiday decorations were reused.  A poinsettia is a poinsettia.  Use them today while taping $otC, then change the bows and use them tomorrow on WoF.

Stackertosh

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2022, 03:47:07 PM »
Fresh off the Boat did a Who wants to be a Millionaire episode a few years ago. Did they use set pieces from  the syndicated set?

https://youtu.be/9Pq-i2kD2Wg

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2022, 03:56:36 PM »
I know when the show was in Vegas, it was still the original network set (with changes/upgrades throughout). It could have been that set for the entire syndie run, but I'm not a scholar of that show's history.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck