Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stage props from one show to another  (Read 8722 times)

golden-road

Re: Stage props from one show to another
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 02:00:42 AM »
The original set was demolished upon the cancellation of the first run. A new, second set was built from the same plans as the first set, which is why it seemed "practically exactly the same". In addition, the show moved from studio 41 to 43 and a new music package was produced.

There was a show where the set was saved after the show was cancelled and reused when the show was brought back. Can you name it?

CBS $25,000 Pyramid?

snowpeck

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 02:05:08 AM »
The original set was demolished upon the cancellation of the first run. A new, second set was built from the same plans as the first set, which is why it seemed "practically exactly the same". In addition, the show moved from studio 41 to 43 and a new music package was produced.

There was a show where the set was saved after the show was cancelled and reused when the show was brought back. Can you name it?

CBS $25,000 Pyramid?
I think you're on the right track, but I think he's referring to the 1991 John Davidson version reusing the same set from the 82-88 run.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 02:12:06 AM »

CBS $25,000 Pyramid?
I think you're on the right track, but I think he's referring to the 1991 John Davidson version reusing the same set from the 82-88 run.
I'm thinking Wheel of Fortune.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 02:42:39 AM »

The shelves might have been new, but the contestant island and the larger signs were all saved after Supermarket Sweep was cancelled in 1995 and made the transition to the 2000 revival.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2022, 04:07:44 AM »
Not Pyramid, not WOF, not SS.

After the first version was cancelled, the network told the producer not to destroy the set, and the show was brought back for a second run using the original set, according to the show's emcee.

joshg

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2022, 06:06:39 AM »

After the first version was cancelled, the network told the producer not to destroy the set, and the show was brought back for a second run using the original set, according to the show's emcee.

Battlestars?
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2022, 07:02:14 AM »

Concentration?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2022, 07:07:27 AM »

Battlestars?

That's the one! Or as I call it, "Hollywood Triangles".

Ian Wallis

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2022, 10:41:48 AM »

That's the one! Or as I call it, "Hollywood Triangles".

Hmm...in that case, Charlie Tuna was wrong.  I saw The New Battlestars in person in April 1983 and I asked about the set.  Both Charlie and a stage hand said it was a new set - new Battlestars, new set, new everything.  I you look closely, you can see some slight differences.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TimK2003

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2022, 03:23:02 PM »
The contestant area was different, as there was less neon on the desks. The two‐level celebrity wall was what was likely recycled.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2022, 03:40:21 PM »
Alex appeared on a CNN show for which I was the T.D. According to Alex, when Battlestars was first cancelled NBC said, "don't burn the set".

The second iteration was on for only 13 weeks in 1983. It seems like a waste of money to build a whole new set for only a 13-week run. It's possible that they refurbished the original set, removing neon here and there and some design tweaks.

I was the T.D. of a CNN show called "People Now" with a chap named Bill Tush, who took over the show from Mike Douglas. Come to think of it, that version may have run only on WTBS.

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2022, 04:25:22 PM »
I was the T.D. of a CNN show called "People Now" with a chap named Bill Tush, who took over the show from Mike Douglas. Come to think of it, that version may have run only on WTBS.
It was WTBS. Bill Tush also had a sketch comedy show on WTBS in the early-80s that co-starred a pre-SNL Jan Hooks. 3rd Rock from the Sun creators Bonnie and Terry Turner* also appeared on that show.

/I miss "Turner Time"
*//No relation to Ted
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2022, 04:39:17 PM »
It was WTBS. Bill Tush also had a sketch comedy show on WTBS in the early-80s that co-starred a pre-SNL Jan Hooks. 3rd Rock from the Sun creators Bonnie and Terry Turner* also appeared on that show.

/I miss "Turner Time"
*//No relation to Ted

Mike Douglas hosted the show on CNN until December, 1982 when he departed for Xmas vacation, never to return.

The show moved to WTBS with Bill Tush as host, who seemed to fancy himself as cable TV's answer to David Letterman.

narzo

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2022, 08:44:03 PM »
I guess this sort-of ties in:  I always wondered about the turntable in studio 33, since at the same time NYSI, MG, and TPIR were all using one and it was always, seemingly, in the same spot.  I always have assumed there was a "turntable mechanism" which was in the set, so it had to be positioned in that location. 

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2022, 09:21:19 PM »
I guess this sort-of ties in:  I always wondered about the turntable in studio 33, since at the same time NYSI, MG, and TPIR were all using one and it was always, seemingly, in the same spot.  I always have assumed there was a "turntable mechanism" which was in the set, so it had to be positioned in that location.

I admit I could be wrong, but I rather doubt this is the case -- even within a single episode of TPIR, the Turntable doesn't always stay in the same place.  It's moved closer to the audience if something needs brought out from behind it and farther away if they need to provide a clearer view of Door #1.