Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stage props from one show to another  (Read 8713 times)

Bob Zager

Stage props from one show to another
« on: June 02, 2022, 11:47:41 AM »
I've seen some familiar set props used on some game shows, carrying over a another show, and I'm not referring to revivals of the same show.  Here are some of them:

The familiar playing table on original "Password," moving over to "Snap Judgment."

Wink Martindale's plexiglass podium from "How's Your Mother-in-Law," turning up on "American Bandstand," starting in late 1969.

The number scrambler from Jim Lange's "Twenty-One," pilot, used on Kline and Friends' "Break the Bank."

The dice table from the 1978-1980 "High Rollers," moving to "Las Vegas Gambit," in 1981.

The podium from the "Get Rich Quick," pilot, to the last six months of "$20,000 Pyramid," and the entire "$50,000 Pyramid," run.

Bill Cullen's end game podium from "Hot Potato," moving along with Cullen to "The Joker's Wild."

The contestant wheel from "The Wizard of Odds," becoming the Melody Roulette wheel on "Name That Tune."

The glitzy/flashy lights positioned behind the cars on "Split Second," occassionally turning up on "Let's Make a Deal."

Anything else come to mind?

BrandonFG

Re: Stage props from one show to another
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 11:57:03 AM »
A few set pieces from Card Sharks ‘01 made their way to Whammy! a few months later. IIRC it was Pat’s lectern and parts of the backdrop.

I don’t remember seeing it on camera often, but when Hot Potato showed a wide shot of the set, you saw a beige wall that was later used on Break the Bank ‘85.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JMFabiano

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 12:50:39 PM »
More like artwork being recycled, but...

The Gambit face card art being retraced and used in the Hit Me deck on TPIR. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

carlisle96

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 01:02:05 PM »
I don't know about some of these...having worked in TV, unions can be very prickly, so it's likely the NBC props department had to build a new Password desk for Snap Judgement instead of using the one from CBS...unless the question is talking about designs rather than the exact piece of scenery 

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 07:58:20 PM »
Not as major as some other recyclables, but the "forest curtain" backdrop from The Newlywed Game used as the backdrop for the audience seating area for Dick Clark's "It Takes Two".

Allstar87

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2022, 12:16:57 AM »
-The contestant podiums for Quicksilver were given a slight makeover and re-used for the one-off Grill Me. Both aired on USA.
-A good chunk of the All-Star Secrets set was recycled for Hackett's You Bet Your Life a year later.
-Boggle, Shuffle, and Jumble all shared the same contestant podiums, glass tile walls, and giant telephone keypad prop. (And host, and announcer, and music package...)

Stackertosh

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 06:10:12 AM »
If were counting set

Weakest Link set being used for the pilot of Dirty Rotten Cheater (Cheaters)
The Price Is Right 1994 set and most of the music being used for Cash Tornado Pilot with Jim Perry

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 09:30:20 AM »
I don't know about some of these...having worked in TV, unions can be very prickly, so it's likely the NBC props department had to build a new Password desk for Snap Judgement instead of using the one from CBS...unless the question is talking about designs rather than the exact piece of scenery

It likely was the same desk. A new desk would have been built by employees represented by the same IATSE stage carpenters' local anyway. A desk is considered carpentry, not a prop. I would bet that the "lightning round" mechanism was outsourced to the same firm that built the old Concentration board.

The Family Feud set was stored outside on the ABC lot when it finished its ABC run, then was transported to CBS Television City and the wooden components were slightly warped.

Some sets were demolished, the show was brought back and an entirely new set had to be built: Tattletales, Blockbusters, Card Sharks.

When The Hollywood Squares was cancelled by NBC and moved to Las Vegas, NBC wanted way too much for the original game board so Heatter Quigley built an entirely new one to take to L.V.

carlisle96

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 01:55:01 PM »
Nice inside information...this is what I get when I tangle with experts. But didn't the ABC shop have to build a new "$10,000 Pyramid" when the show moved from CBS?

gsfan85

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 05:39:38 PM »
I believe VS. on Comedy Central and Sports Geniuses on FOX Sports used the same contestant podiums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIHTzXc3a9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COa7ozfPwPg&t=4s

chrisholland03

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 07:01:58 PM »
Nice inside information...this is what I get when I tangle with experts. But didn't the ABC shop have to build a new "$10,000 Pyramid" when the show moved from CBS?

I'm by no means an authority on the subject, and wasn't around, but I'll share what I remember from Usenet days around why Pyramid was an exception:

1) Jim Ryan was an in-house designer at CBS
2) The Sullivan stage was larger in every dimension than the Elysee's, so there was a need to rescale
3) The union blocked the set move from CBS, as building a new set was to their benefit

As an aside, but worth mentioning, there's an episode of Shoot for the Stars floating about that was shot at Sullivan using the NBC set pieces and different staging.  If I'm remembering correctly, 30 Rock was under reconstruction at the time.

whewfan

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2022, 07:21:36 PM »
The bonus game wall from Play the Percentages was used as a set piece for Nipsey Russell's short lived Juvenile Jury. It was completely repainted, but alert eyes would recognize it.

The numbers from the pricing game Add Em Up were reused for Pathfinder.

Winkfan

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 09:33:43 PM »
Some sets were demolished, the show was brought back and an entirely new set had to be built: Tattletales, Blockbusters, Card Sharks.

Wrong on the first one, Tattletales in 1982-84 had practically the exact same set as 1974-78. However, the method you described did also apply to Now You See It.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 11:11:24 PM »
The numbers from the pricing game Add Em Up were reused for Pathfinder.

I wouldn't exactly say they were "reused" -- Add 'em Up and Pathfinder were in the rotation at the same time for about a year and a half.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 01:49:13 AM »

Wrong on the first one, Tattletales in 1982-84 had practically the exact same set as 1974-78. However, the method you described did also apply to Now You See It.

Cordially,
Tammy

The original set was demolished upon the cancellation of the first run. A new, second set was built from the same plans as the first set, which is why it seemed "practically exactly the same". In addition, the show moved from studio 41 to 43 and a new music package was produced.

There was a show where the set was saved after the show was cancelled and reused when the show was brought back. Can you name it?