Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One-time celebs  (Read 17034 times)

Neumms

Re: One-time celebs
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2022, 04:45:12 PM »
Since Rod Roddy's appearance on It Takes Two '97 invalidated this, may I toss three other names of similar circumstance: Marjorie Goodson (MG '90), David Ruprecht (MGHS), and Vicki McCarty (MGHS)? All three were one and done as guests in spite of other game show experience.

The lovely Miss McCarty did Robin Ward's TTTT as a central character: She was a law graduate who appeared in Playboy.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2022, 05:28:28 PM »
Could you also consider, though, his guest stint on Hollywood Squares during Game Show Week as a second appearance? Or is it more like a sub announcer stint and not part of it?

Speaking of that, I’m sure most of those panelists were on other game shows at least once (Peter Marshall did at least one week of Match Game that I’m aware of for example), but how many actually did another?

Is your question "Did the panelists on H2 Game Show Week(s) do more than 2 game shows?"

-Jason

Pretty much. More like “was their appearance on H2 during those weeks the only time they were on a game show panel”.

I don’t think the total is very many, if any, but I’m curious.

The only one I was thinking of was Jim Lange, but apparently he also did one of the primetime Feud specials in the 1980s in addition to participating in the Card Sharks game show host tournament which I forgot he was a part of.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2022, 06:25:18 PM »
Pretty much. More like “was their appearance on H2 during those weeks the only time they were on a game show panel”.

I don’t think the total is very many, if any, but I’m curious.

The only one I was thinking of was Jim Lange, but apparently he also did one of the primetime Feud specials in the 1980s in addition to participating in the Card Sharks game show host tournament which I forgot he was a part of.

Yeah, Jim Lange was the only one I thought would correctly answer your question, but the Feud host special captured him and several others, like Bob Eubanks. Eubanks also did Liar's Club. Wink and Chuck Woolery were on Tattle Tales. Wink was also on Password Plus and Card Sharks. Peter Marshall did Baffle and The Last Word.

Game Show Week II skewed more towards regular panelists (Betty, Joanne, etc.) than hosts. Tom Kennedy was on Part Deux, and did lots of game shows as a guest. Monty Hall did Tattletales and Password.

So the ultimate answer is no, it was not the only game show appearance for anybody in the squares for those weeks.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2022, 06:29:01 PM »
How about Jim Peck and Peter Tomarken?  I know they did Sparks Cross-Wits but any other?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Bryce L.

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2022, 06:33:05 PM »
How about Jim Peck and Peter Tomarken?  I know they did Sparks Cross-Wits but any other?
Tomarken did a Game Show Week on Scrabble. And got along famously with Chuck, if memory serves.

Bobby B.

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2022, 06:59:10 PM »
Tomarken did a Game Show Week on Scrabble. And got along famously with Chuck, if memory serves.

I think he also did “Just Men!” during the time he was hosting Hit Man.  ISTR seeing a clip of an intro of JM! where he was one of the celebs.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2022, 07:39:55 PM »

If it counts, Jim Peck was a celebrity bachelor questioning 3 ladies on The Dating Game. They were LA cheerleaders, if memory serves.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BillCullen1

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2022, 08:34:46 PM »
Kelly Ripa will host The Generation Gap on ABC later this year. But to date the only game show I believe she was on was Millionaire with host Regis.

Peter Marshall's nighttime HS had a few celebs who rarely did game shows. YouTube has episodes with Cher, Tina Turner and Walter Matthau. They may have done more than one episode but I don't recall them doing any other game show. IIRC Rock Hudson and Roy Clark were also on nighttime HS.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 08:50:46 PM by BillCullen1 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2022, 09:25:20 PM »
Another comic that I only recall seeing on Celebrity Sweepstakes was Billy Braver.  He was the guy who always carried a lunch box on stage.  Also remember seeing Gianni Russo and William Smith on CS   Smith co-starred with Anitra Ford in "Invasion of the Bee Girls" in 1972

mmb5

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2022, 09:41:19 PM »
With Matt O. and I being the certified Billy Braver experts, we can confirm he also did a week of Hollywood Squares.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

PYLdude

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2022, 10:18:30 PM »

I think he also did “Just Men!” during the time he was hosting Hit Man.  ISTR seeing a clip of an intro of JM! where he was one of the celebs.

Indeed he did; not sure specifically when though.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

PYLdude

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2022, 10:21:54 PM »
Re: Winker on P+: the one thing I remember about that (other than his being on with Gene Rayburn) is that there were two botches during the course of that particular week; one where Tom forgot whose turn it was and one where they didn’t record one of the puzzles.

snowpeck

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2022, 10:26:59 PM »
Kelly Ripa will host The Generation Gap on ABC later this year. But to date the only game show I believe she was on was Millionaire with host Regis.
She was on the daytime version once as well when Terry Crews was hosting. Not sure how you want to count that.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

ET206

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2022, 02:23:51 AM »
Jean Bruce Scott appeared one week on $25K Pyramid with Jay Johnson (I think).  Did she ever guest on any other games?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2022, 03:21:03 AM »
Leonard Maltin on 25k Pyramid.