Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One-time celebs  (Read 17064 times)

BillCullen1

Re: One-time celebs
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 08:37:41 AM »
Possibly Norman Lloyd and Stan Freberg may count. Both appeared on MGHS Hour and to my knowledge, no other game show.

Bryce L.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 08:45:15 AM »
Actually, now that I think about it, there's probably a sizable list of celebrities who appeared on a Combs-era Family Feud celebrity week (and probably some of the Dawson-era specials, too) who didn't make an appearance as a celebrity on any other game show.
Well, that put me down a rabbit hole, but I've come out with a name:

Rod Roddy.
Scratch that one; there's a 1997 episode of It Takes Two where both him and Janice Pennington appeared for a TPIR-related question.

Long live Jeopardy!

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 09:08:11 AM »
There were a few soap opera stars that only did one week of Match Game 90, including Jill Larson (All My Children), Perry Stephens (Loving), & Lauren-Marie Taylor (Loving).

aaron sica

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 10:16:15 AM »
Would Tony Danza on the CBS $25K count?
IMDB says he was on both the Marshall and Davidson Squares, Wheel in 1996, and Just Men.
20K Pyramid as well.

I should be more specific; I was counting the CBS $25K Pyramid as a separate entity; I believe he was only on that one week of the run.

Bryce L.

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 10:21:15 AM »
Would Tony Danza on the CBS $25K count?
IMDB says he was on both the Marshall and Davidson Squares, Wheel in 1996, and Just Men.
20K Pyramid as well.

I should be more specific; I was counting the CBS $25K Pyramid as a separate entity; I believe he was only on that one week of the run.
And with the way he behaved that week, would you have invited him back?

aaron sica

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »
And with the way he behaved that week, would you have invited him back?

Absolutely not.

colonial

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 10:52:42 AM »
One game that could have a surprisingly high number of "one and done" celeb players is Betty white's "Just Men."

It only aired for 13 weeks (and I've only seen clips on YT, don't remember seeing it when it originally aired), but the seven panelists usually included at least 1-2 athletes, as well as a healthy diet of actors from NBC soaps and short-lived series.

There was a YT video of Jon-Erik Hexum (Voyagers) on the panel -- believe that was his only game show appearance before his passing at 26. Another YT clip had TV composer Mike Post as a panelist -- I'm not sure he's appeared on other games. On the sports front, IMDB mentions that George Brett and Dusty Baker appeared on Just Men, but don't feature any other game show credits for either.

JD

Long live Jeopardy!

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 11:43:38 AM »
Moon Unit Zappa, Meredith Brooks, and George Thorogood only did a celebrity episode of Rock and Roll Jeopardy!.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 12:52:52 PM »
*Bing Crosby appeared on at least a couple episodes of “The Movie Game” that aired in LA in February 1970, and that was the only US game show he ever did — not even a WML? mystery guest spot. (http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BingTV.htm indicates that he taped an episode of the Spanish-speaking “Los expertos contestan” in June 1964, but details are lacking.)

*On the other end of the fame continuum, Bennye Gatteys was on “Match Game” for a week in July 1976, and she’s probably one of the most obscure panelists they had during that run. She was a regular on “Days of Our Lives” at the time; her other TV parts all seem to have been one-off appearances. I’m not seeing any other game shows in her résumé. TV
Bennye Gatteys was on DeWitt Name That Tune circa 1956, but as a contestant.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

bclark71

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 01:15:19 PM »
How about Watergate figure G. Gordon Liddy? They booked him on Super Password at the height of his "1980s when anybody can be a celebrity" fame and I don't think he did any other games.

He did "Celebrity Bullseye" in the 1981-82 season.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 01:25:40 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it, there's probably a sizable list of celebrities who appeared on a Combs-era Family Feud celebrity week (and probably some of the Dawson-era specials, too) who didn't make an appearance as a celebrity on any other game show.

Rod Roddy.

Could you also consider, though, his guest stint on Hollywood Squares during Game Show Week as a second appearance? Or is it more like a sub announcer stint and not part of it?

Speaking of that, I’m sure most of those panelists were on other game shows at least once (Peter Marshall did at least one week of Match Game that I’m aware of for example), but how many actually did another?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2022, 02:07:24 PM »
Could you also consider, though, his guest stint on Hollywood Squares during Game Show Week as a second appearance? Or is it more like a sub announcer stint and not part of it?

Speaking of that, I’m sure most of those panelists were on other game shows at least once (Peter Marshall did at least one week of Match Game that I’m aware of for example), but how many actually did another?

Is your question "Did the panelists on H2 Game Show Week(s) do more than 2 game shows?"

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SuperSweeper

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 02:36:58 PM »
There were a few soap opera stars that only did one week of Match Game 90, including Jill Larson (All My Children), Perry Stephens (Loving), & Lauren-Marie Taylor (Loving).

I don't have a full list for the week she appeared, but Jill Larson did Wheel in 1992, during the Soap/College Challenge.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2022, 03:03:05 PM »

Rod Roddy.

Since Rod Roddy's appearance on It Takes Two '97 invalidated this, may I toss three other names of similar circumstance: Marjorie Goodson (MG '90), David Ruprecht (MGHS), and Vicki McCarty (MGHS)? All three were one and done as guests in spite of other game show experience.

Two other names came instantly to mind reading this, both from Moore TTTT: Roger Grimsby and Ally Sheedy. Grimsby did one week that Buzzr should be near rerunning if they haven't done so already and Sheedy's half-week on the panel after her episode as a subject was in that portion of the run that has never been rerun.

Long live Jeopardy!

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2022, 03:54:14 PM »

I don't have a full list for the week she appeared, but Jill Larson did Wheel in 1992, during the Soap/College Challenge.

You're right, I forgot Jill did that as well. For the record, the other soap stars during that week were Melissa Reeves (Days of our Lives), Michael Sabatino (Days of our Lives), Lauralee Bell (Young and the Restless), Scott Reeves (Young and the Restless), Richard Lawson (All My Children), Fiona Hutchison (Guiding Light), and Frank Dicopoulos (Guiding Light).