Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One-time celebs  (Read 17056 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
One-time celebs
« on: May 12, 2022, 07:26:57 AM »
Spinning off the first appearances of celebs thread...

What celebs have been on only one show for one appearance/week?  I have 2 to start:

*  Linwood Boomer--appeared on the 2nd week of Celebrity Whew!, and was too good at it.  IIRC, he and his civilian partners won 4 Gauntlets that week and got to #10 on a fifth.
*  Florence Griffith-Joyner--appeared on Hollywood Squares early in its run in 1998.  At least part of that week was posthumously; Tom Bergeron and Whoopi referenced her untimely passing at the start of an episode.

aaron sica

Re: One-time celebs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 08:44:54 AM »
Would Tony Danza on the CBS $25K count?

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 09:02:38 AM »
Did Robin Williams ever do anything other than Hollywood Squares in ‘98? It was a Comic Relief week with Whoopi and Billy Crystal.

Also, Whoopi on HS.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 09:34:20 AM »
IMDB says he was on both the Marshall and Davidson Squares, Wheel in 1996, and Just Men.

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 09:37:12 AM »
Are we counting celebs who were mystery guests on WML?  If so, then we can include John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and a slew of others.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 09:52:55 AM »
Are we counting celebs who were mystery guests on WML?  If so, then we can include John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart and a slew of others.
John Wayne was a panelist on Movie Game and Jimmy Stewart played Password as I recall.  Jack Benny did Password.
One that I wonder about is Jimmy Breslin on Moore TTTT. He only did a partial week. Did he get fed up or did he have something else to do.  Larry Blyden did the remainder of the week as I recall.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 10:18:03 AM »
One that I wonder about is Jimmy Breslin on Moore TTTT. He only did a partial week. Did he get fed up or did he have something else to do.  Larry Blyden did the remainder of the week as I recall.
Not sure that he "got fed up"; and I say that since I'm aware of other weeks with a mid-week panel switch, and if you were to look on Marshall Akers' site (1970-1971 season), you'd see that, the two weeks immediately following Breslin's week also had swap-outs after the lunch break as well.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 03:43:29 PM »
I'm certain there are folks who only did one week of Match Game. An episode guide database could help to generate a list.

calliaume

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 04:18:03 PM »
Based on some of our discussions on other threads, I would venture a guess several of the celebrities on MG-HS Hour would fit this category. It would require some IMDB research to ascertain who.

thomas_meighan

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 07:27:19 PM »
*Bing Crosby appeared on at least a couple episodes of “The Movie Game” that aired in LA in February 1970, and that was the only US game show he ever did — not even a WML? mystery guest spot. (http://www.bingmagazine.co.uk/bingmagazine/BingTV.htm indicates that he taped an episode of the Spanish-speaking “Los expertos contestan” in June 1964, but details are lacking.)

*On the other end of the fame continuum, Bennye Gatteys was on “Match Game” for a week in July 1976, and she’s probably one of the most obscure panelists they had during that run. She was a regular on “Days of Our Lives” at the time; her other TV parts all seem to have been one-off appearances. I’m not seeing any other game shows in her résumé.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 08:03:32 PM »
IMDB says he was on both the Marshall and Davidson Squares, Wheel in 1996, and Just Men.
20K Pyramid as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Stackertosh

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2022, 10:26:31 PM »
Esther Rolle on Match Game early 70s.

snowpeck

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2022, 11:10:38 PM »
How about Watergate figure G. Gordon Liddy? They booked him on Super Password at the height of his "1980s when anybody can be a celebrity" fame and I don't think he did any other games.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 01:49:45 AM »
A lot of relatives who have appeared on Celebrity Family Feud likely only have that one game show appearance to their name.

Actually, now that I think about it, there's probably a sizable list of celebrities who appeared on a Combs-era Family Feud celebrity week (and probably some of the Dawson-era specials, too) who didn't make an appearance as a celebrity on any other game show.

I'm guessing that Kim Hood, from WTHR in Indianapolis, only did Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour.

WhammyPower

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 08:34:54 AM »
Actually, now that I think about it, there's probably a sizable list of celebrities who appeared on a Combs-era Family Feud celebrity week (and probably some of the Dawson-era specials, too) who didn't make an appearance as a celebrity on any other game show.
Well, that put me down a rabbit hole, but I've come out with a name:

Rod Roddy.