Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Celebs & Their First Shows...  (Read 1753 times)

TimK2003

Game Show Celebs & Their First Shows...
« on: May 11, 2022, 12:07:22 AM »
As game shows continued into the 60's-80s, the stable of celebrities was growing -- especially those who would appear on several different shows.

But for all the times we saw Nipsey Russell, Anita Gillette, Joyce Bullifant, Anne Meara, etc... what was their very first game show appearance?

I thought it would be a fun exercise to list the "career" game show celebrities' first game show.  For example, for an easy lay-up shot, I am pretty sure Brett Somers first game show was Match Game.

Others??

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: Game Show Celebs & Their First Shows...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 02:53:15 AM »
Brett did ABC Password with Klugman before Match Game, can't think of an appearance before that. Pretty sure Nipsey's 1st was Missing Links in '64.

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 09:00:49 AM »
Brett did ABC Password with Klugman before Match Game, can't think of an appearance before that.

Thank you.  That thought lingered in my mind after I posted, but I thought Brett appeared on Password after MG'73's debut.  That, Super Password Plus and Shaffer's Match Game are the only other shows I recall Brett appearingon.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 07:06:43 PM by TimK2003 »

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 09:39:16 AM »
Not sure about this, but Brett may have been on He Said She Said with hubby Jack Klugman before Password. Is there a list of celebs appearing on HSSS?

Gene Rayburn's first game show was The Name's The Same as a panelist. First as a host was Make The Connection.

Orson and Kitty were on TTTT, but before that they were both on early episodes of IGAS. Kitty was also on the short-lived What's Going On?

Bess Myerson was on TNTS with RQL before being on IGAS.

My username's first show was Winner Take All.

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 10:22:09 AM »
Brett did ABC Password with Klugman before Match Game, can't think of an appearance before that.

Thank you.  That thought lingered in my mind after I posted, but I thought Brett appeared on Password after MG'73's debut.  That, Super Password and Shaffer's Match Game are the only other shows I recall Brett appearingon.
Brett also did Password Plus (last week of 1979/first week of 1980, with Ross Martin). And on the ABC Password deal... do we know when exactly in 1973 they switched to the 2-out-of-3 format? If we do, that would definitively pin which of her two weeks with Jack (one was December 1971, the other was October 1973) the episode aired on GSN falls into (since the one we have still uses the original one-loss-and-out rules).

snowpeck

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 02:32:27 PM »

Thank you.  That thought lingered in my mind after I posted, but I thought Brett appeared on Password after MG'73's debut.  That, Super Password and Shaffer's Match Game are the only other shows I recall Brett appearingon.
Brett also did Password Plus (last week of 1979/first week of 1980, with Ross Martin). And on the ABC Password deal... do we know when exactly in 1973 they switched to the 2-out-of-3 format? If we do, that would definitively pin which of her two weeks with Jack (one was December 1971, the other was October 1973) the episode aired on GSN falls into (since the one we have still uses the original one-loss-and-out rules).
The one that aired on GSN is definitely from December 1971.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)