Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: “The Joker’s Wild” on KTLA in 1971–or was it?  (Read 3068 times)

thomas_meighan

“The Joker’s Wild” on KTLA in 1971–or was it?
« on: May 09, 2022, 07:37:53 PM »
In histories of “The Joker’s Wild,” there has sometimes been mention of a trial run on KTLA in 1971. Seeking more information and precise dates, I headed to newspapers.com to look for TV listings and articles . . . which led to a slight problem. None could be found.

I looked through California newspaper hits from the start of 1971 until the network series debuted. There was nothing except for announcements of the new CBS games in July and August 1972. (There were hits for other uses of the phrase, including a similarly named 1957 movie. And a string of hits from a Long Beach paper in May ‘71 looked promising, but they turned out to be misdated and were really from May ‘74.)

Looking at nationwide results, there were some mentions of the “Joker’s Wild” project in late 1968 and early 1969, around the time the Ludden pilots were taped. “The Honeymoon Game” aired as a syndicated special in late June/early July 1971. And TJW was mentioned in the Minneapolis Star in February 1972, shortly after Bud Grant took over CBS daytime. But there was no discussion of a local KTLA series, nor TV listings for it.

Some recollections say the KTLA run used three players and clips were used in promos before the CBS run started. However, there was yet another pilot taped at TV City in April 1972 (see https://televisioncityla.com/shows#) and as we all know, pilots are sometimes used for ads and they often have set/format differences. It’s also possible that “The Honeymoon Game,” with its two teams of two players, was mixed into these memories.

So—did this supposed local series actually exist, or is it a case of memories playing tricks and facts getting scrambled? Did the format possibly air under a different name?

Jimmy Owen

Re: “The Joker’s Wild” on KTLA in 1971–or was it?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 08:02:38 PM »
I've got a few TV Guides from LA in that time frame.  I can check those, but I think Jack was on "Juvenile Jury" that year.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

snowpeck

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 11:13:29 PM »
Is it possible someone is misremembering the "Honeymoon Game" pilot? That did air in 1971 on KTLA.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Bryce L.

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 12:04:50 AM »
Is it possible someone is misremembering the "Honeymoon Game" pilot? That did air in 1971 on KTLA.
Absent evidence to the contrary, I'd say that's very likely what happened.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 10:35:24 AM »
The TV Guides I have don't have Jokers Wild airing in 1971.  KABC was showing Juvenile Jury Saturdays in 71-72.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 11:52:58 AM »
I think those sources may have conflated a few things. IIRC, KTLA showed reruns shortly after the CBS cancellation; the ratings were strong enough there to start up the *syndicated* version in ‘77.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 12:05:26 PM »
I think those sources may have conflated a few things. IIRC, KTLA showed reruns shortly after the CBS cancellation; the ratings were strong enough there to start up the *syndicated* version in ‘77.

A quick check also notes that WOR-9 in NYC was running the reruns in early evening in fall '76.

That Don Guy

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 03:46:22 PM »

A quick check also notes that WOR-9 in NYC was running the reruns in early evening in fall '76.

I'm not sure about the timeframe, but KBHK (now KBCW) in San Francisco was also airing the reruns, either at 7:00 or 7:30, as well; it also aired the new episodes once those started.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 03:53:12 PM »
KHJ showed the repeats starting in the summer of 76.

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 04:03:00 PM »

Was this the pilot that, when distributed to the stations, was missing a chunk because Barry said they were retooling it? I presume they left it in when airing it.

snowpeck

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 04:29:40 PM »

Was this the pilot that, when distributed to the stations, was missing a chunk because Barry said they were retooling it? I presume they left it in when airing it.
Right. KTLA aired the entire 90 minutes, but the tape that went around to stations eliminated the first 30.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)