Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show "cold opens"  (Read 4823 times)

BrandonFG

Re: Game show "cold opens"
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2022, 07:57:46 PM »
Might be another stretch for Tier 2 but how about Wordplay for Tier 2? Charlie O. would introduce each celebrity by asking if they did something related to the word?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2022, 10:17:57 PM »
"Top Card" can qualify for tier 2.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2022, 05:26:08 AM »
Might be another stretch for Tier 2 but how about Wordplay for Tier 2? Charlie O. would introduce each celebrity by asking if they did something related to the word?
"Call My Bluff" did something similar.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JMFabiano

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2022, 07:56:05 AM »
A pilot, but how about Shopper's Bazaar? 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Unrealtor

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2022, 12:46:03 AM »
Do clips or montages from past episodes count for Tier 2? If so, then Tomarken Press Your Luck and several versions of Pyramid.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2022, 01:35:31 AM »
Do clips or montages from past episodes count for Tier 2? If so, then Tomarken Press Your Luck and several versions of Pyramid.
I'm leaning towards no because your examples consisted of clips of past contestants winning (or in the case of PYL, losing).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

doctorwho

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2022, 10:29:35 AM »
Seems U.S. Millionaire flirted with a cold open once or twice, if this video is anything to go by.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2022, 03:36:07 PM »
Australia's  Million Dollar Wheel Of Fortune started with the opening toss-up "hosted" by the announcer before the theme tune.

In Italy we once had a show that began with the two competing families racing from outside the studio to their seats, while the opening tune was playing.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2022, 03:44:24 PM »
On Barker TorC, the show started with something hilarious in progress and Charlie Lyon telling the home audience "Hi there.  We've been waiting for you...."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2022, 04:01:26 PM »
Scrabble began with the puzzle sent from a viewer.

alfonzos

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 08:46:02 PM »
The first game show I can remember with your “Tier 1 opening” is “Let’s Play Post Office” during the last view weeks of it run. The opening shot was of the game board which was designed to resemble a giant business envelope. The title of the show would appear in a wipe in the window as Don Morrow would declare, “Let’s Play Post Office. The opening value is…” The top value of the first puzzle would appear where the value of the postage stamp would be. The director would cut to a shot of the contestants and answer to the first writer would appear in a key in the bottom third of the screen then the first game would begin.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TimK2003

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2022, 10:32:20 PM »
Didn't the Barris remake of Camouflage open the show with the first puzzle and Johnny Jacobs asking the viewers to find the ___________?

Chief-O

• Speaks digi-talk
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 10:46:55 PM »
Didn't the Barris remake of Camouflage open the show with the first puzzle and Johnny Jacobs asking the viewers to find the ___________?

It did; I remember seeing an intro clip a while back.

whewfan

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2022, 05:16:30 PM »
Late in the run with WLoD, the game did start with the first puzzle, then as soon as the round was over, they went into celeb intros.

TJW in the early syndie run briefly did a Pyramid-style opening with a montage of bonus game wins.

Money Maze also went Pyramid style showing a montage of at least two bonus wins.

Blankety Blanks started with a sample Blankety Blank which Bill would read and then he picked a celeb to solve it.

Scrabble would have a sample clue at the start.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 05:04:27 PM »
Doesn't freakin studs file under the second tier?