Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime Emmy nominations out  (Read 5701 times)

colonial

Daytime Emmy nominations out
« on: May 05, 2022, 02:35:47 PM »
It's the usual suspects for Outstanding Game Show for the 2022 awards .... LMAD, TPIR, FF, WOF, J!

Outstanding Game Show Host is a bit peculiar this year, with Pat Sajak receiving two of the nominations (for WOF and Celebrity WOF, the latter being declared eligible for the Daytime Emmys). Sajak will compete for the award against Wayne Brady, Steve Harvey and Leah Remini.

A few games are also under consideration in the technical categories.

https://deadline.com/2022/05/daytime-emmy-nominations-2022-list-1235016996/

JD

Kevin Prather

Re: Daytime Emmy nominations out
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 03:58:16 PM »
How often have people been nominated twice in the same category?

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 04:10:42 PM »
How often have people been nominated twice in the same category?
Pretty sure Alex Trebek once defeated himself for an Emmy (hosting Jeopardy! and Classic Concentration), but that's the only one coming to mind right off the top of my head.

That Don Guy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 04:25:45 PM »
Outstanding Game Show Host is a bit peculiar this year, with Pat Sajak receiving two of the nominations (for WOF and Celebrity WOF, the latter being declared eligible for the Daytime Emmys). Sajak will compete for the award against Wayne Brady, Steve Harvey and Leah Remini.

This could be a mistake. The Primetime Emmy Rules say that a game show broadcast at or after 8 PM Eastern is eligible for the Primetime Emmys, and Celebrity WOF only aired at 8:00 during the eligibility period. There is talk of having all game shows compete against each other in the Daytime Emmys starting in 2023, the way all "children's shows" do now even if they air in primetime.

BillCullen1

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 06:38:59 PM »
Leah Remini is nominated for outstanding host? I'm surprised, and not in a good way.

Winkfan

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 07:29:26 PM »
Pretty sure Alex Trebek once defeated himself for an Emmy (hosting Jeopardy! and Classic Concentration), but that's the only one coming to mind right off the top of my head.

Right on! Yet he tied with Barker that year as well.

As for this year, I was hoping Dylan Lane would have his shot at Emmy gold.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 11:20:04 PM »
Leah Remini is nominated for outstanding host? I'm surprised, and not in a good way.
I would say that it should be in a good. She is actually a very personable host. Very funny with the contestants and keeping the game moving along. She was funny in the first season, even funnier in the second season. As I watched daily, I definitely thought she was worthy of a nomination months ago. Glad she got it.

As for the winner, I think she's definitely got a shot, but clearly after 24 years since his last competitive win, Pat is itching for an Emmy by allowing himself to be nominated twice.

I'm truly curious as to what will happen in the game show category. Jeopardy had a rough 2021, although it does have highlights with Matt and Amy closing out the year and the ToC back in May. I do not think it's a lock at all this year. If I had to wager, I'd go with LMAD. Wayne and Co. have been consistently good navigating through the hybrid in-studio/at home stuff.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 03:55:55 AM »
I'm truly curious as to what will happen in the game show category. Jeopardy had a rough 2021, although it does have highlights with Matt and Amy closing out the year and the ToC back in May. I do not think it's a lock at all this year. If I had to wager, I'd go with LMAD. Wayne and Co. have been consistently good navigating through the hybrid in-studio/at home stuff.

The thing is, most of the voters are probably voting based solely on whichever episode the production company submits (if that -- the official rules state that there's simply a minimum percentage of time that each judge is required to watch an episode before submitting a score). So it all comes down to which single episode each production company chooses to put the show in the best light.

Jeopardy! almost certainly will choose either a Matt Amodio episode or an Amy Schneider episode -- what's interesting is that if they go with the former, then Mayim is the host; if they go with the latter, then Ken is the host. That might be telling.

The Price Is Right surely won't choose an episode from the first half of 2021 when there was no studio audience. I would not be surprised if they submitted an episode that drove home the fact that it's the show's 50th season.

Family Feud doesn't really do theme episodes, so they'll probably submit an episode with several big Steve reactions. Let's Make a Deal has been doing special Monday and Friday episodes all this season -- do they submit one of those? Does Wheel of Fortune submit the episode where they gave away a house?

That's what the competition will be between.

According to the rules, when the production company uploads the episode for consideration, they also have to designate which 30 seconds they want the Emmys to use if the show is featured in the telecast. Presumably that means the clips shown during "the nominees are" will reveal where each show's priorities lie.

(The official rules also spell out which specific job titles are eligible to be listed in the credits for the names of production company personnel that follow the name of the show. One of the approved job titles is "Zonk Producer(s)." So Jeopardy!'s zonk producers can rest easy.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 04:07:25 AM by MSTieScott »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »
I would say that it should be in a good. [Leah] is actually a very personable host. Very funny with the contestants and keeping the game moving along. She was funny in the first season, even funnier in the second season. As I watched daily, I definitely thought she was worthy of a nomination months ago. Glad she got it.
Seconded. Plus, imagine just how much her success and happiness continues to aggravate that group she left back in 2013. :)

(Not mentioning 'em by name because I've got enough problems in my life without giving them a Google search result to find.)
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 04:22:19 PM »
I would say that it should be in a good. [Leah] is actually a very personable host. Very funny with the contestants and keeping the game moving along. She was funny in the first season, even funnier in the second season. As I watched daily, I definitely thought she was worthy of a nomination months ago. Glad she got it.
Seconded. Plus, imagine just how much her success and happiness continues to aggravate that group she left back in 2013. :)

(Not mentioning 'em by name because I've got enough problems in my life without giving them a Google search result to find.)
you don't want Tom Cruise after you
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 07:32:54 PM »
And did I hear right that Ellen's daytime talker got snubbed this year?

BillCullen1

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 10:31:50 PM »
And did I hear right that Ellen's daytime talker got snubbed this year?

Yes you heard right. The Emmy people telling Ellen "Don't let the door hit you on the way out."

PPatters

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 01:36:58 PM »
This could be a mistake. The Primetime Emmy Rules say that a game show broadcast at or after 8 PM Eastern is eligible for the Primetime Emmys, and Celebrity WOF only aired at 8:00 during the eligibility period. There is talk of having all game shows compete against each other in the Daytime Emmys starting in 2023, the way all "children's shows" do now even if they air in primetime.

Starting this year, any primetime show that is ostensibly a spin-off of a daytime show (Celebrity WOF, Jeopardy College Championship, soap opera primetime specials) compete in the daytime categories.
Patrick

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 02:24:47 AM »

I'd honestly really genuinely like to know why you're "surprised, and not in a good way." For my money she's easily the best host in the entire GSN arsenal (only Brooke Burns comes close), you're really the first person I can think to have something bad to say about her hosting, and she takes what would otherwise be Generic GSN Original #47 into arguably the most fun show they've made in years.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 09:44:01 AM »
Leah's good.  Fun and funny. She just completed her first semester at NYU, so it's a lot to juggle.  Only thing that would stand in her way is a petty scientologist.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.