Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows where contestants could apply and play again?  (Read 3999 times)

SuperSweeper

Shows where contestants could apply and play again?
« on: April 17, 2022, 03:04:29 PM »
I don’t think this has been discussed before - and depending on what I haven’t thought about, may be too broad of a topic.  :)

As many of us have been doing, I have been watching Definition episodes. Jim has occasionally mentioned to losing contestants that they are welcome to apply and play again at a later time.

This is not a common occurrence in shows, at least today. Therefore, I decided to come up with a list of shows where contestants, losing or otherwise, could apply again to *that particular version of the show* and possibly play. I did not include applications across different versions of a show, nor shows where contestants were invited back by the producers for tournaments or other second chance opportunities.

Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

Current Shows/Applications

-The Price is Right (Since Drew became the host, contestants are eligible again after ten years. There has been at least one contestant who has appeared three times - and amazingly, she won her Showcase on all three of her appearances)
-Let’s Make a Deal (Contestants on the current version can apply again after three years)
-Cash Explosion (really, I would think just about all state lottery shows would apply)
-Local It’s Academic/quizbowl shows (It happened to me 🙂)

Past Shows/Applications
-Definition
-Wheel of Fortune (up until some point in the show’s run - possibly after the nighttime version converted to all cash - contestants were eligible to apply again after a relatively short period of time - I believe six months. The only known example of someone appearing twice was a woman who appeared on the daytime show in 1980 and then on one of the first nighttime episodes)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 04:02:40 PM by SuperSweeper »

tvmitch

Re: Shows where contestants could apply and play again?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 03:47:02 PM »
Millionaire applies here. I was on the nighttime show, and I auditioned a couple times for the daytime shows; I was told I was eligible because I had never sat in the Hot Seat. Never did make it on the daytime show, but I was definitely told I was eligible.
You should follow me on Twitter

SuperSweeper

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 04:03:33 PM »
Millionaire applies here. I was on the nighttime show, and I auditioned a couple times for the daytime shows; I was told I was eligible because I had never sat in the Hot Seat. Never did make it on the daytime show, but I was definitely told I was eligible.

Thanks for bringing that up - I was pretty sure that would apply, but wasn’t 100% sure.

Were contestants in your situation able to try to get back into the Fastest Finger seats again, too?

SamJ93

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 09:09:15 PM »
It doesn't seem to be a hard rule, but a number of previous contestants on the UK's Countdown have said on Facebook that the producers will allow them to re-apply ten years after their appearance, with the (again seemingly unwritten) exception of former series champions.
It was Bob Barker. He was eating a bologna and cheese-ball sandwich.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 11:17:02 PM »
Were contestants in your situation able to try to get back into the Fastest Finger seats again, too?

Ed Toutant was in the ring of fire at least twice.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 11:52:54 PM »

Ed Toutant was in the ring of fire at least twice.

Reege mentioned once that you could sit in the ring twice a year.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

gridlockjoe

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 08:13:21 AM »
France 3's Des chiffres et des lettres often invites back losing contestants who play well. I have seen gaps between appearances of a couple of years through to decades.

vtown7

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 08:42:26 AM »
France 3's Des chiffres et des lettres often invites back losing contestants who play well. I have seen gaps between appearances of a couple of years through to decades.

This is often the case with their "sister" show Questions Pour Un Champion.

WhammyPower

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »
I have been watching Definition episodes. Jim has occasionally mentioned to losing contestants that they are welcome to apply and play again at a later time.
And at the end of Season 7, Episode 47, one does come back.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 09:31:44 PM »
Pat Finch was on WML? twice. In 1950 and 1967.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 04:31:30 PM »
On Italy's top show L'Eredità, those who don't win any money can apply again after 3 years. Winners can't apply again.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 09:53:39 PM »
Mel Harris was a Pyramid contestant twice in 78 ($20K) and then of course on $100K.      The second time she was using her then-married name and of course the first time was ABC, the second time syndication but I've wondered if she was slipping through or if they were aware of her previous appearance.

Pat Finch was actually on WML three times, the second in 1955 on the show's fifth anniversary.   There were several WML contestants who encored (the other two contestants from the first show in 1950 also were on the last show).     Horse dentist Harry Ball in 1954 and 1967 and in 1954, Cora Saylor an old lady whose line was "Washes Cows" encored six months later to see if the panel would remember her (They didn't).    But I think the panel shows were not a case of "applying" but more a case of  the producers seeking out someone for the occasion again.

Otm Shank

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 01:05:37 AM »
Mel Harris was a Pyramid contestant twice in 78 ($20K) and then of course on $100K.      The second time she was using her then-married name and of course the first time was ABC, the second time syndication but I've wondered if she was slipping through or if they were aware of her previous appearance.
I would guess that most of the records from the right coast never made it to the left. I mean, they didn't even save the tapes.

Even with fastidious recordkeeping, I would think they would consider that a whole new production, even though the producer is the same. The move to LA made it even more unnecessary to cross check, as they wouldn't be flooded with a herd of New Yawk second chancers. And I recognize the returning champ on the Davidson Pyramid debut as just being a courtesy.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 10:54:56 AM »
I would guess that most of the records from the right coast never made it to the left. I mean, they didn't even save the tapes.

Even with fastidious recordkeeping, I would think they would consider that a whole new production, even though the producer is the same. The move to LA made it even more unnecessary to cross check, as they wouldn't be flooded with a herd of New Yawk second chancers. And I recognize the returning champ on the Davidson Pyramid debut as just being a courtesy.

I believe it was theorized (maybe on here?) that Mel (and possibly other former NYC contestants) were invited to play $100K by the producers. I doubt we have any way of proving that, though.

As mentioned above, WML? contestants don’t qualify for this thread, as I assume all of them were invited back by the producers.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 12:17:40 PM »
[quote

As mentioned above, WML? contestants don’t qualify for this thread, as I assume all of them were invited back by the producers.
Why didn't you say so in the first place?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.