Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Entire blocks with all episodes now repeated  (Read 2975 times)

Ian Wallis

Entire blocks with all episodes now repeated
« on: April 14, 2022, 10:59:30 AM »
With BUZZR airing the Christmas 1979 episodes of Whew! recently, it got me thinking - the entire CBS morning block from that day has now been repeated and is generally available to anyone who wants it.  Beat the Clock has been run by GSN and BUZZR; Whew! by BUZZR and Price is Right by GSN.  Theoretically, for anyone who has them they could re-create that day's exact block.

It makes me wonder how many other blocks (of at least 3 consecutive shows) may have also been repeated.  I think with most of Match Game and Tattletales having aired, there must be some half-hour Price is Rights from 74 or 75 that would also exactly align.  If you want to look at episodes which are out there (and not necessarily repeated), I'm sure there's likely an exact block of Family Feud-$20,000 Pyramid-Break the Bank that would probably fit.

I just thought this was interesting.  Feel free to add if there's anything else you can think of.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

Re: Entire blocks with all episodes now repeated
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 11:40:40 AM »
I think it's possible to jump ahead to September 20, 1982 as well; GSN has aired the first episodes of "$25,000 Pyramid" and "Child's Play". Unless there were furs in it, would have been very possible to have run that day's "Price is Right", too.

Allstar87

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 12:50:19 PM »
Unless there were furs in it, would have been very possible to have run that day's "Price is Right", too.

There were not. :) GSN and Pluto have both aired the 9/20/82 episode.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 12:54:04 PM »
I just thought this was interesting.  Feel free to add if there's anything else you can think of.

CBS Daytime in it's entirety. , September 1982 - November 1983: On the morning side, GSN has run Child's Play its' entirety while both it and Pluto have aired Price from 9/82 onwards. PYL is also covered the last few weeks.  This run breaks at the latest point GSN aired $25K Pyramid (early November 1983) without a gap.  Bonus for the afternoons, GSN also ran 80s Tattletales in it's entirety in the 90s so the whole network game slate is covered.

(I did a little checking re: Tattletales bc I wasn't completely sure but looking through old pages incld. the OP's - and some veteran collections, 80s Tattletales is noted as completing an entire run in the mid 90s before the '97 lease expiration. If this info is incorrect it'd break the "whole slate" bonus, but the morning side asked about is covered regardless)

There's also a short sliver, again CBS, from September 1986 to February 1987 where Price, Pyramid, and Eubanks' CS have all been run. GSN's 90s TPiR run stopped in February (Pyramid went to April)

This will actually fill in more somewhat soon if Pluto TPIR keeps going - Price is the only show missing from the CBS Daytime set all the way from 5/85 until 7/86. GSN aired Pyramid from May 1985 - April '87 (as well as ~October '87 to the end) in the 2010s. Eubanks CS was run in its' entirety.  Plus, if you want the "whole day" bonus ala Tattletales, Body Language was run in its' entirety also.  PYL was run up through 7/86 on USA (to 5/86 on GSN) including the entire time it was in mornings with Pyramid/Price (until 1/86)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 01:27:20 PM by Chelsea Thrasher »

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 01:14:30 PM »
Another one to toss out - how about 1974-75, when CBS aired Price, Match, and Tattletales from 3pm-4:30pm (EST)? GSN ran some half hour daytime Price from 1996 to 1997, they've definitely run MG, and TT as well.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 01:35:08 PM »
ABC’s entire daytime block from 1978-85 has aired. As someone mentioned, “Feud” and “Pyramid” on GSN. ABC’s shows from from fall 1984 to late-1985 aired in reruns: “Feud”, “Trivia Trap”, and “All-Star Blitz”.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 05:04:54 PM »
Semi-related tangent here, but I remember back in TV Land's heyday in the late '90s, they would do something called a "Time Warp" where they'd recreated classic primetime lineups from back in the day (complete with "Retromercials", of course). I still have one on tape somewhere where they recreated ABC's Friday Night schedule back in '72 (You know, the original "TGIF"). I've often wondered how come GSN or Buzzr couldn't do something similar with game shows?

/Intriguing topic, Ian!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 02:08:32 AM »
I've often wondered how come GSN or Buzzr couldn't do something similar with game shows?

NBC: There's no point where the daytime lineup completely exists in full until July 1988.
CBS: Price is Right licensing is chaotic, there's a reason it's not on the main Buzzr channel, and while GSN could have done a pre or post PYL CBS daytime lineup briefly in the 90s (they got Pyramid in '97 and lost Price in '00), they didn't.
ABC: Game lineup is essentially non-existent beyond 1-2 shows at a time after 1978, which is also the earliest point where their entire daytime slate (limited as it is) exists.

Bonus: The history of daytime is littered with a lot of game shows that viewers (or the affiliates deciding whether to clear the shows) didn't give two bothers about in 1975/1986. If they didn't care about those lineups then, they wouldn't care now.

Also, Sony in general isn't inclined to lease things to Buzzr (there are reasons 90s Newlywed is the only Sony series Buzzr has ever licensed in almost 7 years), and Sony/GSN themselves have zero interest in rerunning classic games and haven't in like 5 years. 25K Pyramid is one of my favorite shows ever but the fact its' never turned up on Buzzr is hardly a surprise.

Bryce L.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 02:36:31 AM »
Also, Sony in general isn't inclined to lease things to Buzzr (there are reasons 90s Newlywed is the only Sony series Buzzr has ever licensed in almost 7 years)
I'd always assumed that reason was simply "Fremantle can't afford Sony's asking price" up until last year when they got NG. What am I missing, then?

TimK2003

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 10:10:35 AM »
Also, Sony in general isn't inclined to lease things to Buzzr (there are reasons 90s Newlywed is the only Sony series Buzzr has ever licensed in almost 7 years)
I'd always assumed that reason was simply "Fremantle can't afford Sony's asking price" up until last year when they got NG. What am I missing, then?

I had always thought it was some sort of "paltry" trade off where GSN gets to keep rerunning MG and Harvey Feud on GSN and Buzzr gets to run Sony's Newlywed Game.

/GSN can KEEP Harvey Feud for all I care.  That trash dumpster never needs to be seen on Buzzr.

Bryce L.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 10:23:13 AM »
/GSN can KEEP Harvey Feud for all I care.  That trash dumpster never needs to be seen on Buzzr.
Amen to that, brother!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 11:05:45 AM »
Semi-related tangent here, but I remember back in TV Land's heyday in the late '90s, they would do something called a "Time Warp" where they'd recreated classic primetime lineups from back in the day (complete with "Retromercials", of course). I still have one on tape somewhere where they recreated ABC's Friday Night schedule back in '72 (You know, the original "TGIF"). I've often wondered how come GSN or Buzzr couldn't do something similar with game shows?

/Intriguing topic, Ian!

I remember those TVLand blocks and they were cool!  When GSN first went on the air, the closest they did to doing something like that was running some of their shows in the same time slots they were on the original networks - and they even pointed this out at least once on Club AM.  Examples:  Newlywed Game was on at 2 PM and Dating Game on at 2:30 - which were the most frequent ABC times.  The only thing is that, while the Dating Game episodes were from ABC, the Newlywed Game was the 77-80 syndicated version instead.  It was a nice touch though.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 11:34:12 AM »
Amen to that, brother!
Ummm...The show is more popular than ever and Steve is solid as host.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 12:16:53 PM »

I had always thought it was some sort of "paltry" trade off where GSN gets to keep rerunning MG and Harvey Feud on GSN and Buzzr gets to run Sony's Newlywed Game.

I’m not even a fan of the show, and that’s still a bit much. I don’t think BUZZR needs to air it either, but mainly because it’s overexposed enough as is and is a little too recent for me.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!