Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The funkier Wheel cues, c. 1983-85  (Read 2053 times)

BrandonFG

The funkier Wheel cues, c. 1983-85
« on: February 24, 2021, 05:16:50 PM »
Dating back to the Chuck and Susan era, Wheel had some very funky cues, and I've been curious about two for a while.

This jazz fusion-esque piece was used occasionally for cars, as well as for shopping, and does not sound like something that was composed just for game shows.

This cue was used for the more luxurious cars, and I've wanted to find it for years.

Anyone have any ideas? I know the shopping music and some other prize cues from that era have made their way to the internet.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Robair

Re: The funkier Wheel cues, c. 1983-85
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 06:58:34 PM »
This batch of cues were actually intro and outro cues used on "The Merv Griffin Show". Sometimes Mort and his band would do them live, other times the pre-record would play.
--Robair

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:06:06 PM »
Thank you! Now that you mention it, I can definitely hear some of the shopping cue in other music from his talk show.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 10:59:46 PM »
Bumping to add that I recently stumbled across an album called Escape, 1984. It features the Wheel, J! and his talk show themes, as well as the shopping music (Nightwalk) and prize cue Struttin on Sunset. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both car cues were on this album too, but I'm not so curious that I'm spending $130. :P

/I also don't have a record player
//Really need to get one of those 5-in-1 players

MisterX

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 11:48:09 PM »
The album's tracks are the same as the audio cassette version. The track list of the record can be found here:

https://www.discogs.com/release/12110441-Merv-Griffin-Escape/

The cue for luxury cars, per the link in the initial post, isn't on the record.