Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Unused set elements visible on air  (Read 15203 times)

Clay Zambo

Re: Unused set elements visible on air
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2022, 02:29:15 PM »
The Now You See It grand staircase seemed a bit superfluous when they revised the format.

Not that it wasn't superfluous from the start. Beautiful, but superfluous.
czambo@mac.com

That Don Guy

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2022, 03:39:55 PM »
How long into the syndicated run of TTD did they go without using the podium buzzers? They were a holdover from the CBS version, where every game had "jump-in questions" starting with the third (IIRC) question.

JMFabiano

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2022, 09:30:06 PM »
Possibly not technically relevant to this discussion, but my kid self always thought there were three "doors" at the top of the Louie Anderson Feud set that should have been used in some way.  In the first season, it appeared that there was a balcony (with a rope safety border) that would have served as a floor.  I can't imagine I was alone in thinking this, but maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRCAK6jKuiE

Not on topic but was there at one point a painted mural on the leftmost side of the set for awhile?  I recall seeing an Elvis with a Family Feud microphone there.

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 09:52:19 PM »
The Now You See It grand staircase seemed a bit superfluous when they revised the format.

I think the designers of both sets were prone to superfluous behavior.

You want a big ass staircase? How about a big ass staircase but…now picture this..GIANT. HINGED. CIRCLES. With chase lights, because they all love chase lights, right?

I get they were designed to close off the play areas when they weren’t in use, but couldn’t you have accomplished the same thing with proper lighting and camera angles?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

ET206

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2022, 03:24:57 AM »
With the exceptions of Triple Play, Most Expen$ive for three trips Barker Era, and the second prize on Golden Road, Door #1 is rarely used on TPiR for game play (I know they use that area for storage, but that's not visible).  Even in the Showcases the big prizes (car, party boat, etc.) are rarely behind that door.

BillCullen1

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2022, 08:52:06 AM »
I believe Door #1 on TPIR is used for Safe Crackers, but I get your point.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2022, 10:24:07 AM »
I believe Door #1 on TPIR is used for Safe Crackers, but I get your point.

No, that's Door #2.

That Don Guy

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 11:13:05 AM »
With the exceptions of Triple Play, Most Expen$ive for three trips Barker Era, and the second prize on Golden Road, Door #1 is rarely used on TPiR for game play (I know they use that area for storage, but that's not visible).  Even in the Showcases the big prizes (car, party boat, etc.) are rarely behind that door.

If you're including Barker episodes, Superball used all three doors as well.

whewfan

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2022, 01:37:58 PM »

I think the designers of both sets were prone to superfluous behavior.

You want a big ass staircase? How about a big ass staircase but…now picture this..GIANT. HINGED. CIRCLES. With chase lights, because they all love chase lights, right?

I get they were designed to close off the play areas when they weren’t in use, but couldn’t you have accomplished the same thing with proper lighting and camera angles?

It seemed that some of Goodson's 80s shows used more sparse sets. Eubanks Card Sharks had on one side 4 aces that opened up to reveal the card playing area which swung into place, and on the other side, a turntable that had the Money Cards game just 45 degrees away. The rest of the set... NOTHING, until the car game, where a lighted border was added center stage. Now You See it was more sparse... beyond the three very flashy rings, the set was otherwise quite sparse. In other words, both sets didn't look quite so impressive from a wide shot and were better displayed in close ups.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2022, 02:18:58 PM »
On "Cash Cab," the front passenger seat.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Unrealtor

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2022, 04:32:54 PM »
Eubanks Card Sharks had on one side 4 aces that opened up to reveal the card playing area which swung into place, and on the other side, a turntable that had the Money Cards game just 45 degrees away. The rest of the set... NOTHING, until the car game, where a lighted border was added center stage.

Perry Card Sharks was pretty sparse, too. It had more moving parts, but it still felt like a tiny island in an immense, empty studio.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Bryce L.

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2022, 04:57:25 PM »
Eubanks Card Sharks had on one side 4 aces that opened up to reveal the card playing area which swung into place, and on the other side, a turntable that had the Money Cards game just 45 degrees away. The rest of the set... NOTHING, until the car game, where a lighted border was added center stage.

Perry Card Sharks was pretty sparse, too. It had more moving parts, but it still felt like a tiny island in an immense, empty studio.
But at least it didn't have the champion stand in the middle of nowhere for the Money Cards, FWIW.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2022, 05:05:53 PM »
The white WHEEL OF FORTUNE logo behind the contestants on the current set displayed flashing colors during the season premiere's intro, and never again.  Probably doesn't technically qualify, but it's the most recent example I can think of at least.

Fedya

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2022, 08:23:12 PM »
No, that's Door #2.

It's been ages since I've watched TPIR, but I thought Safe Crackers and Lucky Seven were both played at the door that's more stage right than the others.  (I suppose the turntable would be further stage right, but it's also downstage from the doors.)  Are the doors not numbered from stage right to stage left?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

thomas_meighan

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2022, 09:07:27 PM »
Couple of examples on TPIR games:

*Punch-a-Bunch originally had a number + multiplier format, and the P-U-N-C-H-B-O-A-R-D letters covered slots that contained the numbers. This format was revised after 11 playings and the slots above the main part of the board were now superfluous, but they stayed in place until the prop was redone in 1996.

*The "jukebox" in Race Game had arms on both sides for a number of years, but AFAIK the left-hand one was never used. Perhaps they originally planned to stage it differently/allow for different staging patterns.